• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Graduate Transfer CBs

I hope the grad transfer fix is just a one-season deal. These guys have no love for NU...I've always been skeptical about grad transfers.

Luckily, that is your issue, not the coaches who’ve seen it work out and know better. Whether he’s a HS grad or a college grad, it’s all about fit.

Grad transfers are the bright kids, good additions to a team if they are a fit.

Junior college transfers may be a little riskier - but there is potential reward with them too, again based on fit. Mike Hughes, chosen #30 overall in the NFL draft last year from UCF is a decent example of that: http://ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6024

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, ***. I hope the grad transfer fix is just a one-season deal. These guys have no love for NU, just a desire to keep playing & improve their NFL chances. If they keep giving 100% even after we get kicked in the teeth then great but I've always been skeptical about grad transfers.

I think the grad transfer approach is an effective one to cover gaps in recruiting. Whether the issue is because we "miss" on a kid that told us they would sign and didn't, or lose a kid to injury or just ineffectiveness, there will always be situations where you are unexpectedly thin at a position. It's a great way to add some depth at a position of need - often with a somewhat proven commodity. I expect we'll have more depth after several years of Frost and team's recruiting, so maybe the need for this decreases. Having said that, I am not skeptical of all grad transfers. I think you have to look at them individually and see if this works for them. If they have the right talent, discipline, passion, and attitude, they can fit it nicely at DONU.

I will tell you this probably isn't a one year fix. There is some definite talent in this market that you can take advantage of. That being said, you probably won't see it quite to the level we are doing it year 1 in the coming years. If you count Breon Dixon, we have Vainuku, Jackson, one more grad transfer is almost certainly coming, that's roughly four guys. The reason there are so many now is because we are trying to turn things over so quick, and a reach on a grad transfer guy only costs you a couple years if they turn out to be a dud. If you reach on a high school kid he's yours for 4-5 years. You may just see 1 or 2 a year after these first couple years, but I think the staff really likes doing it and the guys they can get from this type of recruiting.

Thanks for the info ***. I guess I had never looked at it from that angle but it does make good sense.

Interesting quotes from Jefferies. I get that as a grad transfer you want to start, but this seems a bit much.

"The biggest factor for me is I want to come into a perfect-fit situation or close to one,” he said. “I’m not coming in to be anyone’s insurance policy. I don’t want to be in a situation where there are two young corners starting and you want a third guy just because. … Like I said, I’m not doing it.

“I started my freshman and sophomore seasons. I am leaving because I want to face better competition and I want to set myself up to go to the NFL. What I’m looking for is the ideal situation, and I want to come in and play against great competition and set myself up to play in the league. I really want to be able to trust the coaching staff that I’m not being brought in just as an insurance policy.”
https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_afefae20-2d8b-5bce-8308-cc395956cc7b.html

Interesting quotes from Jefferies. I get that as a grad transfer you want to start, but this seems a bit much.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_afefae20-2d8b-5bce-8308-cc395956cc7b.html

I agree. I'm not sure how well that message would work with our coaches, who would say "you'll earn your playing time like everyone else does." I like Coach Fisher's method of making decisions about playing time, too. Players earn points in every practice for every play, positive or negative. Guys that make the most positive plays and least negative plays get first priority for playing time. It's that simple - and no room for argument.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm not sure how well that message would work with our coaches, who would say "you'll earn your playing time like everyone else does." I like Coach Fisher's method of making decisions about playing time, too. Players earn points in every practice for every play, positive or negative. Guys that make the most positive plays and least negative plays get first priority for playing time. It's that simple - and no room for argument.
Hell, I like the confidence. Jefferies believes he’s got NFL talent and wants to be THE GUY wherever he transfers to. NU could use that swagger at DB.

Last edited:

True that. And if he ends up slipping on the depth chart, hopefully he can be a team player and not be cancerous. All in all, I’m sure the staff has done their due diligence.

I sure the staff has. Look, with T. Fish's record of putting guys in The League - the kid is wise to give Nebraska a shot. Fisher has street cred. And he's an adult in the room, too - he won't let any individual drag down the mission of his unit or of the team.

I sure the staff has. Look, with T. Fish's record of putting guys in The League - the kid is wise to give Nebraska a shot. Fisher has street cred. And he's an adult in the room, too - he won't let any individual drag down the mission of his unit or of the team.
Fisher stuck out to me at first glance when looking at this staff due to his NFL career. Along with putting a few guys in the league like you mention. Didn’t realize Mike Hughes came into UCF as a JUCO, safe to say Fisher had a part in that. Hopefully, Jefferies pulls the trigger as him starting as a true freshman means more than likely the kid has got some game. To be fair, I’ll be happy with anybody that wants to join the DB unit at this point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back