• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dangerous in 2019

I think it fits his mold that he can continue to make players better and better each year. Tough the first year with this schedule. 2019 Schedule is much more manageable. We trade off a game at Michigan for Maryland and a home game Michigan State for Indiana. Also our Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa games are all at home instead of being on the road. The only part of the schedule that gets more difficult is playing at Boulder.

What's a guy supposed to say? Its nice to hear the coach on local talk radio occasionally. Nice to feel like he wants to be transparent with us. I think he expects to have big success this year, but knows better than to make any wild predictions. I still put the win potential at 7-9 games (incl. bowl) and will measure the teams success in terms of progress.

These are some things to look at when thinking about progress.
  1. Violent solid tackling. 
  2. Winning the turnover battle 2-1 ratio 
  3. Constant QB pressure (on opponent) 
  4. Excellent QB play (for NU) 
  5. Depth development 
  6. Winning the line of scrimmage late in the game 
  7. Replacing struggling players with effective (and well prepared) ones 
  8. In-game adjustments, fix things that are broke and continue things that are working 
  9. Applying speed. Turning some 3 yard gains into 10 yard gains and 15 yard gains into TDs 
  10. Using the dagger in the 2nd quarter, instead of settling into an NFL style game management program 

Last edited:
Isn't this just great? Wow. It's so nice having a coach like this again. He knows there is talent here and it hasn't been tapped or coached. It doesn't take 5 years to turn around a program as many have alluded to. NU is going bowling in 2018 and who knows what after that. The sky is the limit. Maybe thill is right, Alabama better beware, the Cornhuskers are about to rise again.

Last edited:

I think what he’s said is in line with what most folks here are saying, including myself. Year one is getting the players minds and bodies back in football shape, year two is raising the bar, attacking goals and meeting expectations.

I think they will be dangerous this year, I am not saying undefeated or anything, but you should see a team that plays with more passion and doesn't quit. A team that has been coached well in the fundamentals and know their assignments. I get what he is saying I just think that anyone that underestimates or overlooks Nebraska this year could be in trouble.

Good to see SF is at least as smart as I am..I've said it will take 2-3 years

I think it fits his mold that he can continue to make players better and better each year. Tough the first year with this schedule. 2019 Schedule is much more manageable. We trade off a game at Michigan for Maryland and a home game Michigan State for Indiana. Also our Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa games are all at home instead of being on the road. The only part of the schedule that gets more difficult is playing at Boulder.
Good post PLUS it isn’t all about the schedule - it will realistically take a year to adapt to the new system, Toughen up the guys, and build the teamwork that will lead us into the new era.

What's a guy supposed to say? Its nice to hear the coach on local talk radio occasionally. Nice to feel like he wants to be transparent with us. I think he expects to have big success this year, but knows better than to make any wild predictions. I still put the win potential at 7-9 games (incl. bowl) and will measure the teams success in terms of progress.

5. Depth development 
  8. In-game adjustments, fix things that are broke and continue things that are working 
  9. Applying speed. Turning some 3 yard gains into 10 yard gains and 15 yard gains into TDs 
  10. Using the dagger in the 2nd quarter, instead of settling into an NFL style game management program 
Much improved since the wheat combine logo post!

1. Violent solid tackling.  Can technique and skill development occur fast enough in year 1? Probably not completely.
  2. Winning the turnover battle 2-1 ratio New QB, new offensive system ... kind of wishful thinking.
  3. Constant QB pressure (on opponent) Who is going to pressure QB? Very few new players in the defensive rotation this year (Honas and Dixon). Is either going to make a markedly significant difference?
  4. Excellent QB play (for NU) New QB. Likely a true freshman QB. A kid who hasn't payed in 2 years.
  5. Depth development 
  6. Winning the line of scrimmage late in the game 2-deep depth chart is someone who played last year. Is less than one year of development and coaching going to make that big of a difference?
  7. Replacing struggling players with effective (and well prepared) ones Do we have the depth to do that?

I think they will be dangerous this year, I am not saying undefeated or anything, but you should see a team that plays with more passion and doesn't quit. A team that has been coached well in the fundamentals and know their assignments. I get what he is saying I just think that anyone that underestimates or overlooks Nebraska this year could be in trouble.

Agreed.

I think we are going to surprise a few teams, scare a few and beat a few that people think should beat us.

5. Depth development 

The bolded I think, more than anything, would result in a big turnaround. We haven't been good in turnover margin since 2003 or 2009.

It was the achilles under BP. there was simply no value placed on ball security.

Last edited:

The bolded I think, more than anything, would result in a big turnaround. We haven't been good in turnover margin since 2003 or 2009.

It was the achilles under BP. there was simply no value placed on ball security.

I would just add to this that instilling some passion should make a difference as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back