• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers Having a Hard Time Recruiting Tackles?

It is tough for pretty much every team to get Tackles. So you could probably write this story about every team except for AL and OSU.

It is tough for pretty much every team to get Tackles. So you could probably write this story about every team except for AL and OSU.
Not exactly. I took a quick look at the 247 top 100 tackles for 2018 and every Big Ten team except Nebraska got at least one out of the top 100. Purdue had 3 in the top 100. Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern have 2 from the top 100.

For 2019 Minnesota has 1 commit, Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern have 2. And that is just from our division. I didn't check the East.

So, yeah it is a concern when we have 46 offers out for 2019 and not a lot of interest being shown up to this point.

Not exactly. I took a quick look at the 247 top 100 tackles for 2018 and every Big Ten team except Nebraska got at least one out of the top 100. Purdue had 3 in the top 100. Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern have 2 from the top 100.

For 2019 Minnesota has 1 commit, Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern have 2. And that is just from our division. I didn't check the East.

So, yeah it is a concern when we have 46 offers out for 2019 and not a lot of interest being shown up to this point.
We might see a slightly different type of tackle being targeted for this offense. The massive wall that controls the edge of the pocket might be a little different for us going forward. I see a little more need for being an athlete, and being able to handle a pass rush in even greater space.

Last edited:

We might see a slightly different type of tackle being targeted for this offense. The massive wall that controls the edge of the pocket might be a little different for us going forward. I see a little more need for being an athlete, and being able to handle a pass rush in even greater space.
@Twelve String I think that @LarstheRed has given a great answer here. Not sure we are looking for the exact same type of tackle as the rest. Much likes TOs OL needed to be more athletic in the 90s than the big guys that Miami and other passing teams were getting.

Is it still a concern yes. Might our tackles look different than other teams? I would say definitely. A 6'4" 330 pound behemoth will not be able to keep pace with this offense in most cases.

If no Tackle prospect has committed by late January, I'll be slightly concerned, until then, no concern. This is a new staff, with a new offense, and, like Lars said, they are looking for a different type of player. Every position group, other than RB, OLB, and D line, doesn't have a commit, do we need to be concerned? No. It's the off season and writers are clamoring for material. This guy probably went to 247, looked at the current offers, and chose to write an article about the lack of a commitment from the position group with the highest number of offers.

Hopefully not a Hank Hughes type of situation here. I don't think it is, at least not yet. However, our 2018 O Line class was underwhelming on paper... arguably the weakest position group in the 2018 class.

If no Tackle prospect has committed by late January, I'll be slightly concerned, until then, no concern. This is a new staff, with a new offense, and, like Lars said, they are looking for a different type of player. Every position group, other than RB, OLB, and D line, doesn't have a commit, do we need to be concerned? No. It's the off season and writers are clamoring for material. This guy probably went to 247, looked at the current offers, and chose to write an article about the lack of a commitment from the position group with the highest number of offers.
OGKnight is right, some poor writer has to write about something. We have 4 commits, should we be concerned by that? No, coach Frost has said he wants recruits to take visits in-season and commit after that.

Trust the process. No one on this board can do anything about it anyway. GBR

This article stinks of needing something to write about since we haven't played a game yet. There are multiple four star tackles that are looking to set up visits to come here and check things out.

It's May now, right? And they can sign as late as 9 months from now? Now I understand the need to be concerned.

I leave it up to you wise folk to tell me when I can start to worry. However... I agree that it seems like the huskers have been lagging behind in the O-tackle recruiting. I keep hearing us say that the Huskers take guys with fewer stars and builds the linemen they need in the training room. I have been patient and trusting in that motto. I will be pleasantly surprised if they wait around and get some 4* tackles to commit late in the process. Count me in the 'waiting to worry' category.

I leave it up to you wise folk to tell me when I can start to worry. However... I agree that it seems like the huskers have been lagging behind in the O-tackle recruiting. I keep hearing us say that the Huskers take guys with fewer stars and builds the linemen they need in the training room. I have been patient and trusting in that motto. I will be pleasantly surprised if they wait around and get some 4* tackles to commit late in the process. Count me in the 'waiting to worry' category.

Patient for 5 months? It may take a little more than that i'm afraid.

Probably going to have to prove this team has taken a big step forward by the play on the field. 4-8 is tough to spin

@Twelve String I think that @LarstheRed has given a great answer here. Not sure we are looking for the exact same type of tackle as the rest. Much likes TOs OL needed to be more athletic in the 90s than the big guys that Miami and other passing teams were getting.

Is it still a concern yes. Might our tackles look different than other teams? I would say definitely. A 6'4" 330 pound behemoth will not be able to keep pace with this offense in most cases.
How would our Frost Tackles be physically different than anybody elses Tackles? They still have to make holes for the RBs and a pocket for the QB no matter how much faster they must regroup for the next play. Maybe less fat and more lean. That's all I can think of.

How would our Frost Tackles be physically different than anybody elses Tackles? They still have to make holes for the RBs and a pocket for the QB no matter how much faster they must regroup for the next play. Maybe less fat and more lean. That's all I can think of.
You answered your own question.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back