• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Ten West. Who are the contenders?

Who will win the Big 10 West in 2018?

• Nebraska

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 59 63.4%
  • Iowa

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purdue

• Minnesota

• Illinois

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
People keep pointing to 2019 as the season when SF's Huskers will be competitive in the in the Big 10. But if you look at it, a B1G West title this season seems possible. It may come down to who wins the game between the Huskers and the Badgers on October 6th in Madison.

I think both Nebraska and Wisconsin have the potential to win all of their games in the Big 10 West. Nebraska has crossover games at Michigan and Ohio State and a home game with Michigan State. However it is not much easier for Wisconsin. The Badgers also face Michigan in Ann Arbor and must also play at Penn State. The Badgers get a break playing Rutgers.

Let's face it, The Big 10 West is not that strong. To begin the season, Wisconsin will probably be the only B1G West team ranked in the top 25. If NU can beat Wisconsin and the rest of the teams in the West, then losses to both Michigan and Ohio State would be acceptable as long as either Penn State or Michigan can beat the Badgers (or if Iowa or Northwestern can upset them).

I think NU has a decent shot to win the West this season. The game in Madison could become the deciding factor, and a home victory against Michigan State will likely be required.

The other 2 contenders:

- Iowa has crossover games with Indiana, Maryland and Penn State. Assuming they lose to both NU and Wisconsin, NU losses to Michigan and Ohio State will not hurt us if we can sweep the West.

- Northwestern has crossover games with Michigan, Michigan State and Rutgers. Once again, assuming they lose to both NU and Wisconsin, NU losses to Michigan and Ohio State will not hurt us if we can sweep the West.

Michigan sure does have a brutal schedule. Besides playing in the elite Big 10 East, they have crossover games with Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern plus a season-opening game at Notre Dame.

Note 1: I will not be upset if the Huskers lose 4, 5, or 6 games this season. However, even during a transition year, beating everyone but Wisconsin in the Big 10 West is not an insurmountable task. The QB position is key for every team. I think NU could have the best QBing in the B1G West this year, and if so, we will have a chance to beat Wisconsin. Yes, it is a transition year, but I don't think that will necessarily prevent us from playing at a high level this season.

Note 2: Last season Ohio State was the only team that beat Wisconsin. How did they do it? They stopped Johnathan Taylor. Last season JT averaged 141 rushing yards per game and 6.6 yards per carry. Against Ohio State JT only had 41 total rushing yards and 2.7 yards per carry. Can NU do something like that? Well, last season Auburn's Kerryon Johnson averaged 115 rushing yards per game and 4.9 Yards per carry. Against UCF in the Peach Bowl he only had 71 total rushing yards and 3.2 yards per carry. Against Alabama, Kerryon Johnson had 104 total yards and 3.5 yards per carry. There is evidence that Chinander knows how to stop a good running back.

Last edited:
Pal vegas has us 5.5 wins over /under Case closed we end up 3-6 conference this year anyway

A bit much to expect SF to contend for a division title year one (Division title is equivalent to Big 7 or Big 8 title now, IMO).

I can delude myself into thinking its possible, but I chug the kool-aid

Nebraska will beat Wisconsin. The deciding factor will come down to crossover games.

If the Huskers can go at least 1-2 against Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State, we'll win the West.

I see Nebraska and Wisconsin both having a 7-2 conference record, but the Huskers get the tiebreaker with the head to head win.

I can’t wait for the season to begin. I’m excited to see improvement, but do not have high expectations in year one. I’d like to see improvement from last year, competitiveness, and improvement through the year and build upon things with greater success in year 2.
I would love to see the team exceed expectations and win the West. I feel like a fundamentally sound NU team should have a good shot against Iowa and northwestern. We shall see. GBR!!!

People keep pointing to 2019 as the season when SF's Huskers will be competitive in the in the Big 10. But if you look at it, a B1G West title this season seems possible. It may come down to who wins the game between the Huskers and the Badgers on October 6th in Madison.

I think both Nebraska and Wisconsin have the potential to win all of their games in the Big 10 West. Nebraska has crossover games at Michigan and Ohio State and a home game with Michigan State. However it is not much easier for Wisconsin. The Badgers also face Michigan in Ann Arbor and must also play at Penn State. The Badgers get a break playing Rutgers.

Let's face it, The Big 10 West is not that strong. To begin the season, Wisconsin will probably be the only B1G West team ranked in the top 25. If NU can beat Wisconsin and the rest of the teams in the West, then losses to both Michigan and Ohio State would be acceptable as long as either Penn State or Michigan can beat the Badgers (or if Iowa or Northwestern can upset them).

I think NU has a decent shot to win the West this season. The game in Madison could become the deciding factor, and a home victory against Michigan State will likely be required.

The other 2 contenders:

- Iowa has crossover games with Indiana, Maryland and Penn State. Assuming they lose to both NU and Wisconsin, NU losses to Michigan and Ohio State will not hurt us if we can sweep the West.

- Northwestern has crossover games with Michigan, Michigan State and Rutgers. Once again, assuming they lose to both NU and Wisconsin, NU losses to Michigan and Ohio State will not hurt us if we can sweep the West.

Michigan sure does have a brutal schedule. Besides playing in the elite Big 10 East, they have crossover games with Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern plus a season-opening game at Notre Dame.

Note 1: I will not be upset if the Huskers lose 4, 5, or 6 games this season. However, even during a transition year, beating everyone but Wisconsin in the Big 10 West is not an insurmountable task. The QB position is key for every team. I think NU could have the best QBing in the B1G West this year, and if so, we will have a chance to beat Wisconsin. Yes, it is a transition year, but I don't think that will necessarily prevent us from playing at a high level this season.

Note 2: Last season Ohio State was the only team that beat Wisconsin. How did they do it? They stopped Johnathan Taylor. Last season JT averaged 141 rushing yards per game and 6.6 yards per carry. Against Ohio State JT only had 41 total rushing yards and 2.7 yards per carry. Can NU do something like that? Well, last season Auburn's Kerryon Johnson averaged 115 rushing yards per game and 4.9 Yards per carry. Against UCF in the Peach Bowl he only had 71 total rushing yards and 3.2 yards per carry. Against Alabama, Kerryon Johnson had 104 total yards and 3.5 yards per carry. There is evidence that Chinander knows how to stop a good running back.
Do not overlook Purdue.

GET TICKETS

Back