• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Northern Illinois Loss

HoustonHusker

Red Shirt
We aren’t the only major CFB program to suffer an embarassing loss to NIU. In 2003, the 21st ranked Crimison Tide were beat by NIU.

History always repeats itself folks. In order for a tier one CFB program to return to prominence, they must suffer a devastating defeat at the hands of NIU. We should thank Nice Guy Mike for the parting gift. Ladies and Gentleman, there’s hope at the end of tunnel.

Furthermore, your head coach must be named Mike. (UA Head Coach - Mike Shula) Also, your team must only win 4 games. (UA 2003 record - 4-9) . This is crazy but looks like we’ll be hoisting some trophies in the next decade.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

NIU ended that season 10-2 and defeated at least two ranked teams (at the time they played them). One of their losses was to #23 Bowling Green.

I’m not sure losing to them in 2003 is on par with NU 2017, but if it gives you hope...

NIU ended that season 10-2 and defeated at least two ranked teams (at the time they played them). One of their losses was to #23 Bowling Green.

I’m not sure losing to them in 2003 is on par with NU 2017, but if it gives you hope...
The 03’ NIU team also had Michael Turner, an all pro RB who ran for 7,000 yards in the NFL. LOL the off season has me going off the rails.

Our offense looked so pathetic that game with turnovers and morbid running game, that I would have fired the OC at least. Giving up two TDs due to offensive TO’s ( weren’t there two Pick 6’s ?). That was an abysmal showing. Really, MR and staff may as well have been fired and we could have been coached by a rotation of Nebraska faculty. It would have turned out about the same record-wise. Heck, they could have had a contest each week for a Group of fans to be the Coaches for a week and WE could hav done as well as MR. Actually, I’m trying to even figure out what the heck MR did to get paid. He didn’t call plays for Off or Def. Anybody know?

Last edited:
If you must relive the past since you're so bored with current Husker football. maybe go back a little further...say, 20 years or so.

Our offense looked so pathetic that game with turnovers and morbid running game, that I would have fired the OC at least. Giving up two TDs due to offensive TO’s ( weren’t there two Pick 6’s ?). That was an abysmal showing. Really, MR and staff may as well have been fired and we could have been coached by a rotation of Nebraska faculty. It would have turned out about the same record-wise. Heck, they could have had a contest each week for a Group of fans to be the Coaches for a week and WE could hav done as well as MR. Actually, I’m trying to even figure out what the heck MR did to get paid. He didn’t call plays for Off or Def. Anybody know?
Man I was really hoping we could read more bashing of the former coach. Thanks Davidloincloth & thanks HH for the scintillating OP. :rolleyes:

Or have a select HMax posters coaching the 2017 season, not the worst idea.
Man I was really hoping we could read more bashing of the former coach. Thanks Davidloincloth & thanks HH for the scintillating OP. :rolleyes:
And thank you Gene for adding “scintillating” to my vocabulary lol

The NIU loss will go down in Husker history as the loss that brought Scott Frost to Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back