• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Changes made by SF vs. last 3 staff's

chicago husker

Da Bears
5 Year Member
I would be interested how many small and some big changes there are between SF and the last 3 coaching staff's. Mainly focused on SF and MR and here is my top 10 not in any order of priority

1-The walk on program now a priority
2- S&C program now back to getting players in proper shape and condition.
3- Offensive Lineman focusing on first step forward instead of backwards along with a whole new sense of purpose.
4- All players getting reps in every practice.
5- A team being taught not to worry about making a mistake just do it going all out and make corrections as instructed.
6- A coaching staff all on the same page.
7- A desire to find speed and use it correctly
8- Former players seem all in.
9- Attitude of entire team with a sense of purpose.
10- we already have a running back recruit and it isn't late Jan.

Add or disagree as needed.

I would be interested how many small and some big changes there are between SF and the last 3 coaching staff's. Mainly focused on SF and MR and here is my top 10 not in any order of priority

3- Offensive Lineman focusing on first step forward instead of backwards along with a whole new sense of purpose.
5- A team being taught not to worry about making a mistake just do it going all out and make corrections as instructed.

Two things: First, #5? I don't think the guys playing last year were worried about making mistakes. And second, #8B should be Current players seem all-in.

Number one is often cited as needing more but as with all previous staffs it is a numbers issue. Do you know the total roster size and number of walk-ons for the past 25 seasons? I am pretty sure MR and other staffs were at or very close to their max roster size and consequently max walk-ons.

C

Last edited:
Two things: First, #5? I don't think the guys playing last year were worried about making mistakes. And second, #8B should be Current players seem all-in.

#5 seemed to me to be appropriate as players were being taught to play position only which lead them to only worry about their sole responsibility in a specific area which made them hesitant. IMHO
#8 was in reference to former players meeting SF at his initial arrival and huge turn out for the practice last week. They just seem much more involved and re-ignited to me

Agree and #5 is one of the keys IMO. Play all out, all the time. Aggressiveness breeds aggressiveness as does passivity, which we were witness to for much of the last three years.

#5 seemed to me to be appropriate as players were being taught to play position only which lead them to only worry about their sole responsibility in a specific area which made them hesitant. IMHO
#8 was in reference to former players meeting SF at his initial arrival and huge turn out for the practice last week. They just seem much more involved and re-ignited to me
First, I do not understand how focusing on their position would make any player "hesitant." Not being taught #3 might. They were just undisciplined, lazy and poorly coached.

With regard to #8, I wasn't questioning it being there, although I think it much more important to have current player buy-in and thus, was surprised you omitted it.

BTW, good list overall...

Last edited:

First, I do not understand how focusing on their position would make any player "hesitant." Not being taught #3 might. They were just undisciplined, lazy and poorly coached.

With regard to #8, I wasn't questioning it being there, although I think it much more important to have current player buy-in and thus, was surprised you omitted it.

BTW, good list overall...

Thanks and my #9 was supposed to cover that but i agree i should have expanded on it.

Great list!

You mentioned o-line, but d-line has major differences, too. Last year, the d-line had to read and react to the offensive play. This years d-line will strike first and be aggressive off the snap. Also, db’s - last year, 10+ yards off scrimmage line, bend but don’t give up the big pass philosophy. This year, aggressive press coverage from the corners, knowing if they need help they’ve got it. Lastly, this year we’ll be getting after the QB, aggressively. It remains to be seen how often we get there, but B1G qb’s get ready. No more soft Husker defense.

Last edited:

Great list!

You mentioned o-line, but d-line has major differences, too. Last year, the d-line had to read and react to the offensive play. This years d-line will strike first and be aggressive off the snap. Also, db’s - last year, 10+ yards off scrimmage line, bend but don’t give up the big pass philosophy. This year, aggressive press coverage from the corners, knowing if they need help they’ve got it. Lastly, this year we’ll be getting after the QB, aggressively. It remains to be seen how often we get there, but B1G qb’s get ready. No more soft Husker defense.

well stated and unfortunately the entire defense was poor and probably deserved a top ten of its own in differences.

I think the changes Frost has made and is making can best be summarized as an embrace of Nebraska's culture and heritage. Rather than trying to reinvent Husker football, as the past 3 HCs have imho, Frost is trying to revive it using what has worked in Lincoln in the past combined with what has worked for him during his career. The previous 3 coaches did too much of the latter and not enough of the former.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back