• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2019 QB Offer - Max Duggan (4-star from Council Bluffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the argument of not being able to attract a top QB in this class because they see Nebraska with Gebbia and Martinez. I could see Frost wanting to add a kid (Luke McCaffrey) with a big upside who understands he will need a year or two to develop (and is okay with that) in order to bolster his room a bit and then go after another "Adrian Martinez" sort of kid in 2020. But to say they wouldn't get a kid of that caliber this year is not accurate IMPO. He might choose to go with the "McCaffrey" route because it would not be a risk of losing a kid if he got beat out. Frost likes a large QB room (probably 5 scholarship kids) so he might want to pad the numbers before going after a big fish in 2020.

For anyone who hadn't seen what Clemson and Washington have done the last couple years at QB:

Clemson (who already has a four-star QB (Taisun Phommachanh) committed to the 2019 class):

2016 - Zerrick Cooper (four-star) has since transferred to Jacksonville State
2017 - Hunter Johnson (five-star) and Chase Brice (four-star)
2018 - Trevor Lawrence (five-star)

Washington (who have a commitment from high four-star Dylan Morris for the 2019 class AND had a former five-star QB (Jacob Eason) transfer to them AFTER the 2018 signing day):

2016 - Daniel Bridge-Gadd (Named Scout Team MVP after redshirting)
2017 - Jake Haener - Elite 11 member
2018 - Colson Yankoff and Jacob Sirmon, both four-stars and Elite 11 members

If you're talking rankings like the one from US News & World Report, they're meaningless.

For research universities, the most important measure is probably research expenditures. Nebraska: 80. TCU: 372.
https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingBySource&ds=herd

For metric based rather than reputation based rankings, the ARWU (world) ranking is one of the better ones. Nebraska: 151-200. TCU: >800 (i.e., so low they don't show up in the ranking).
http://www.shanghairanking.com

um... no..... really almost laughable, using a research ranking, and ignoring reputation. Happens every time, someone posts something remotely threatening to dear ol UNL's academic reputation.

TCU is not a research university, as is the case with most private religious schools. Its not their focus.

WSJ rankings

TCU #179

UNL #467

None of this matters, only matters to what this high school student wants in a school.

Only because they charge more in tuition. Not sure that makes the scholarship more valuable as out of pocket expense equivalent and will cost family more in the next 4 years to visit and travel to South Bend.

He might think his degree is worth more from ND but that is perception too. Would depend on a lot of things. Personally, I won't even be a "bit bothered" if he choses a state school in the MW.

1) Notre Dame 58 k x 5 years = $ 290,000
UNL 22k x 5 years = $ 110,00

$180 k, buys you a bunch of flights on SW

2) Of course it depends on what one's field of study is, or one's career choice is, but all things being equal:

A degree from Notre Dame is worth more than a degree from UNL. A Notre Dame degree will offer more opportunities in general than a similar degree from UNL. That's really not debatable.

This may be the only time, would welcome a Cardinal posting :Catfight:

From what I've read, Max wants a chance to start right away or at least in the 1st couple years.

In my glass half full mentality, If Max goes to MN or TCU, it would be a signal of just how good our current QB's really are.

Would that not apply to every single football recruit at any position?

TCU is a good program. Glad he chose it over MN and ND, that’s for sure. TCU should be Okie’s main competition as they play defense better than most B12 schools. They need to improve their offense and play better D against Okie though. As long as Patterson is there, they should be competitive.

Good luck kid, hope all goes well for you. Time to move on from him and concentrate on the ones that want/are coming to the Huskers. I think we will be just fine.

Side note here, I went to the Husker Smilies section and I can't find the husker flag thingy. Anyone know where it went?

1) Notre Dame 58 k x 5 years = $ 290,000
UNL 22k x 5 years = $ 110,00

$180 k, buys you a bunch of flights on SW

2) Of course it depends on what one's field of study is, or one's career choice is, but all things being equal:

A degree from Notre Dame is worth more than a degree from UNL. A Notre Dame degree will offer more opportunities in general than a similar degree from UNL. That's really not debatable.

This may be the only time, would welcome a Cardinal posting :Catfight:

Cost of attendance to ND on Full Scholarship $0.00
Cost of attendance to Nebraska on Full Scholarship $0.00
What a place charges for admission doesn't matter in this case is my argument.

Athletic scholarships will provide a total of $0.00 for flights on SW and that 180K difference you highlighted is paper money that no one gets....?

Family Travel Expense to Lincoln would be less than South Bend or TCU now that that is the place. (which will require real money being spent)

2. All I have said is that it matters what degree you get, ND may be more valuable, I haven't argued against that, just that what he wants a degree in may make that a negligible thing. My guess is that if he wants to sell seed corn later in life he might want to go to Nebraska. Turns out TCU offers the program he is most interested in... And my guess is that program is Patterson and what the degree is in and who it is from is secondary to Max.

Would that not apply to every single football recruit at any position?
Of course, but if there's writing on the wall that the odds are not good to do that, you would want to find a school where your odds are higher...so you don't have to transfer later down the road.

Of course, but if there's writing on the wall that the odds are not good to do that, you would want to find a school where your odds are higher...so you don't have to transfer later down the road.
TCU is loaded with talent at Qb, including the #2 dual threat quarterback in the 2017 class. I would say his odds of playing immediately or within a year are slimmer at TCU then Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State or Minnesota

um... no..... really almost laughable, using a research ranking, and ignoring reputation. Happens every time, someone posts something remotely threatening to dear ol UNL's academic reputation.

TCU is not a research university, as is the case with most private religious schools. Its not their focus.

I'm actually not that sensitive about UNL's academic reputation. I'm just pointing out that rankings for which reputation plays a major role are bogus because they're based on circular reasoning. Harvard is ranked #1 in a given year, so everyone knows that Harvard is #1. The next year when people are polled about the reputations of schools, they rank Harvard #1 because Harvard has the reputation of being #1. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. To really tell you need real research and teaching metrics.

Also, while TCU isn't an R1, it is an R2, meaning they're trying to play with the big boys on the research front.

Last edited:

I'm actually not that sensitive about UNL's academic reputation. I'm just pointing out that rankings for which reputation plays a major role are bogus because they're based on circular reasoning. Harvard is ranked #1 in a given year, so everyone knows that Harvard is #1. The next year when people are polled about the reputations of schools, they rank Harvard #1 because Harvard has the reputation of being #1. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. To really tell you need real research and teaching metrics.

Also, while TCU isn't an R1, it is an R2, meaning they're trying to play with the big boys on the research front.

Yep. Also, undergrad degree from a fancy place is nice. But go to Nebraska/lower tier place and use that to get into grad school at a place with a name (very doable). Getting a terminal/advanced degree from the school at the top of your field goes much further than an undergrad degree IMO.

Good luck kid, hope all goes well for you. Time to move on from him and concentrate on the ones that want/are coming to the Huskers. I think we will be just fine.

Side note here, I went to the Husker Smilies section and I can't find the husker flag thingy. Anyone know where it went?
:Huskerflag:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back