• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mo Barry likes new culture

FWIW, I'd much rather hear about people learning and developing during the offseason than people who are struggling. Seems like I might be in the minority on this topic here though. :rolleyes:

You don't understand the difference between what was said prior years versus this year? That's OK, it will be obvious this fall.

The difference i see between this year and last is that there is a coaching staff in place that has show the ability to take a train wreck and turn it around. In the past few years we had a head coach that had never achieved more than mediocrity and was very comfortable with that level of success.

We now have a proven winning staff who are not simply satisfied with off the field success. I don’t expect miracles and it may take a year or two to get where they want to go. But at least they understand what success is, what it feels like, and how to move a team in that direction.

I like the new culture too. And I would hope the players going into the new year are excited no matter who the coach is/was or we are starting off on the wrong foot and it is only down hill after that.

This same article has been written every offseason. Sometimes JD Spielman is coming along, and sometimes JoJo Domann "gets it". It's offseason in Nebraska.

Well, JD Spielman did pretty well for himself last year (and coming off an injury IIRC) too. At times, he looked like a 'one-man show' on the offense. I expect more of the same this fall, perhaps even more production

I'm excited about the new culture as well, but hope it translates to the field sooner than later.

Those who're mentioning the fact that something like this comes up every year are right, but my gut tells me this is the first real movement in the right direction since Callahan got the ax.

If culture change translates into at least two more wins on games that 'Cornhuskers should win' and one more win on a '50-50' game, I would think most - not all - will be happy with that kind of progress. At least I will be satisfied.

Mo Barry just pushed 585# on squats, something he never thought he could do. Hopefully the new culture is starting to get moving in the right direction.

New personal bests start happening in several different areas, the players start paying attention to that growth

Yes, in regards to getting bigger, stronger, faster we do hear it every year but some of the things Mo is talking about are outside that scope. One big thing is the change in accountability, MR had a culture of players taking ownership of the team and doing the right thing on their own but that didn't work (see Nate for one example). Now the staff is policing accountability and giving players authority to better oversee themselves. When you listen closer it is not the same rinse and repeat about offseason workouts.

C

A big difference with this coaching staff is that they came all together. Not having to find new assistants is not something you normally see with coaching transitions. Thus I think it will be an easier task to install culture than in the past. Will there be a learning curve to overcome? Most definitely!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back