• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eric Crouch Gives Thoughts on Frost's Offense/Steve Calhoun Has Insight on POB/Gebbia (Post 51)

Crouch on whether he would fit in Frost's offense...

“If we were taking this back to when I played at Millard North (High School) and compared it... I don’t even know if I would’ve been asked to be in a system like that,” Crouch said in a recent interview.

He pointed out how Frost will be demanding more from the passing game which has been evidenced by UCF quarterback McKenzie Milton’s work in his system. During Frost’s tenure as the Knights’ head coach, Milton had 731 passing attempts over two seasons, averaging 32 per game.

By contrast, Crouch only accumulated 345 attempts during his junior and senior seasons at Nebraska combined.
“I’ve always believed in my ability to throw the football. I think that would’ve eventually shown itself had I had the opportunity to throw the ball more in high school and in college. I do think he would’ve recruited me and given me that opportunity.”

Last edited:
Crouch on Verduzco's statement about the team's QBs...

During the final National Signing Day of the 2018 cycle, Verduzco made a statement that raised some eyebrows: “Our quarterbacks aren’t going to be candy-asses.” Naturally, these were tea leaves that demanded a Heisman Trophy winner’s take.

“To me, that means running with a low pad level. That means delivering the hits, not taking them. That means running in bounds, not out of bounds. That means when you get hit, you get up quickly. You don’t lie on the ground.”

Crouch on the QB running and passing in Frost's system...

In fact, Crouch feels very comfortable in saying that current and future signal-callers for the Cornhuskers should be more than able to accommodate both the taxing, physical nature of the Big Ten and the up-tempo demands of Frost’s offense. This would be barring a quarterback running the ball 30 times or so per game, that is.

The numbers back up his statements on paper as Milton averaged only eight carries per game for UCF in 2017 with his high point being a 13-carry, 113-yard effort in the Knights' Peach Bowl victory over Auburn.

I think this was mostly Eric being humble. Any OC/HC with half a brain who incorporated the QB run game would've salivated over Crouch.
I think he was sincere and thinks Frost's offense requires more passing. But if you listen to Frost, his offense doesn't really require any particular type of player at QB as long as he can make quick decisions.

If a Crouch clone were on the team this year and won the job, we would likely see more QB runs than if POB wins the job.

I think he was sincere and thinks Frost's offense requires more passing. But if you listen to Frost, his offense doesn't really require any particular type of player at QB as long as he can make quick decisions.

If a Crouch clone were on the team this year and won the job, we would likely see more QB runs than if POB wins the job.
My first post is under the assumption that Frost would adapt his offense to take advantage of Eric's skillsets, so I agree, I think if Frost had someone like that at starter, the run-pass ratio would probably be different than it was last year at UCF.

My first post is under the assumption that Frost would adapt his offense to take advantage of Eric's skillsets, so I agree, I think if Frost had someone like that at starter, the run-pass ratio would probably be different than it was last year at UCF.
That's the beauty of everything Frost does. His systems can easily be adjusted to the talent on hand, as opposed to something like the WCO which we were falsely told could be adjusted.

I think this was mostly Eric being humble. Any OC/HC with half a brain who incorporated the QB run game would've salivated over Crouch.
Not one that wanted a high level passing attack as well. Crouch is right, he wouldn't have played for Frost.

numbers advantage whether pass or run on any given play and our qb's decision making. the number of reps to become proficient in making the right decision will be key in first year.
I think crouch would have been great

Last edited by a moderator:
Not one that wanted a high level passing attack as well. Crouch is right, he wouldn't have played for Frost.
So you're really suggesting that if 18 year old Eric Crouch was on the roster right now, that at no point in his career would he ascend to the starting role at QB?

I understand this is hypothetical, but I find it extremely hard to believe that given the option, Frost's staff would decide not to take a kid of Crouch's caliber, regardless of your opinion on if he'd end up starting. If there's a track star dual threat QB in Omaha, I'm of the mind that you've got to take a gamble on a kid like that. Frost and Crouch's completion percentages were comparable, but their ability on the ground in the option game made up for it.

Hell, even Riley was smart enough to try to tailor his offense to Tommy's strengths because of his athletic ability. Id have to think Frost would do the same thing with Crouch.

So you're really suggesting that if 18 year old Eric Crouch was on the roster right now, that at no point in his career would he ascend to the starting role at QB?

I understand this is hypothetical, but I find it extremely hard to believe that given the option, Frost's staff would decide not to take a kid of Crouch's caliber, regardless of your opinion on if he'd end up starting. If there's a track star dual threat QB in Omaha, I'm of the mind that you've got to take a gamble on a kid like that. Frost and Crouch's completion percentages were comparable, but their ability on the ground in the option game made up for it.

Hell, even Riley was smart enough to try to tailor his offense to Tommy's strengths because of his athletic ability. Id have to think Frost would do the same thing with Crouch.
We got Frost to run his offense, not tailor it for anyone. I don't think Frost would recruit his as a QB. Its just my opinion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back