• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers vs. Cornhuskers?

Who are we?

• Huskers

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Cornhuskers

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • Huskers is shorthand for Cornhuskers

Votes: 28 39.4%

• Total voters

I have no problem with Huskers in conversation or occasional informal use. But the athletic dept ought to primarily use Cornhuskers and request media use it when televising a game or talking about them. Cornhuskers is an oustanding team name. It's unique, colorful and has a real, honest connection to the state the school rose from. It's better than a lot of other team names in that way. It should be respected and promoted.

Last edited:

“The University of Nebraska Cornhuskers” just sounds right. Especially whenever Keith Jackson said it to open the telecast.

Here’s proof:

Right.

Nebraska Cornhuskers...sounds great, flows off the tongue
Nebraska Huskers...not so much

When not following the word Nebraska, Huskers works great!

Last edited:
I like Huskers better. It's short, simple, and more catchy which is the trend. I don't think "Corn" is a great selling point.

I like Huskers better. It's short, simple, and more catchy which is the trend. I don't think "Corn" is a great selling point.

If that's true, then why are retro sports jerseys so popular nowadays?

And when it comes to minor league baseball teams, its seems the stranger the name, the better.

For better or worse, "Cornhuskers" is a 100% honest and authentic team name.

I get that Huskers is a helpful shorthand, but my recollection is that the athletic department officially distanced itself from "corn" a while ago. That seems unfortunate.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back