• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Walters talks offense & QB development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Good article. We will have a new starting QB this season...an inexperienced QB playing in a system that is new to him. But many new starting QBs have done very well in the past few years.

Walters says his offense is designed to make defenses react and adjust. Different than the offenses that try to take what the defense is giving.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...fbf4944d-0f53-5f0e-8993-55243d71072e.amp.html

Article points out how UCF struggled the 1st year in SF's offense. However, Coach Walters knows the offense much better than he did when arrived at UCF in 2016, and can surely teach it better than he could back then.

Also, unlike UCF in 2016, NU has a QB who is already familiar with the offense. Noah Vedral's knowledge & experience should prove helpful for the QBs who will be eligible to play this season. Good asset to have.

Last edited:

"I would say we agree"

2e7ca6769f074be8d2a84da2847c5202.gif
and the other 50 people who brought it up in other threads.

Good article. We will have a new starting QB this season...an inexperienced QB playing in a system that is new to him. But many new starting QBs have done very well in the past few years.

Walters says his offense is designed to make defenses react and adjust. Different than the offenses that try to take what the defense is giving.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...fbf4944d-0f53-5f0e-8993-55243d71072e.amp.html

Article points out how UCF struggled the 1st year in SF's offense. However, Coach Walters knows the offense much better than he did when arrived at UCF in 2016, and can surely teach it better than he could back then.

Also, unlike UCF in 2016, NU has a QB who is already familiar with the offense. Noah Vedral's knowledge & experience should prove helpful for the QBs who will be eligible to play this season. Good asset to have.

And remember, this year, the coaches are into their third year in the system. In 2016, UCF coaches were in their first year together for the most part.
Great times ahead.

Situation is very similar to what it was in 2016 at UCF. SF recruited one DT QB (Milton) and the rest were pro-style QBs recruited by O'Leary. At NU, SF landed one DT QB and the rest are pro-style guys recruited by Riley. However, as an early enrollee, Martinez will benefit from spring ball and summer work-outs. Milton didn't arrive at UCF until fall camp.

At UCF, SF went with Justin Holman as his initial starter. Holman was a returning starter and a big guy who could run. When Holman got injured Milton stepped in. For their 3rd QB, UCF went with the diminutive Nick Patti, who was the 3rd best runner UCF had at QB. UCF had 6 QBs in 2016.

It appears SF's tendency is to go with the QBs who have the best running ability - - Holman, Milton & Patti in 2016 - - Milton and Vedral in 2017. Base on that tendency, I predict the post-spring depth chart will be:

1. Martinez
2. Gebbia
3. Andrew Bunch
4. O'Brien

Combined, I think NU has more running and passing ability at QB than UCF had in 2016, but that is not saying a whole lot.

Last edited:

Shrine, are you tracking the guy? Wha'd he have for breakfast this morning?

Hardly. I saw I had commented on a thread that I didn't remember at all. When I clicked on it, I realized the title and most of the OP had been completely rewritten. I'm also bright enough to look at the time posted and last edited.

As to your second question, I have no idea, but an educated guess based on the last two years-Frosted Flakes, Frosted Mini -Wheats, or a Frosted donut.

I think having Vedral is really big this first year, especially in the Spring practices. It’ll make it easier to have one QB who is already acclimated to EXaCTLY what the offense needs, execution and speed-wise. So when he’s playing in a scrimmage situation, he is in game speed mode already and that can tell Frost, Walters, and the other players (offense and defense) exactly where everyone is at, whether it be WR’s running correct routes, OL blocking accurately...it just brings the whole thing together when they can see how the team around him looks/reacts to a guy who is going full speed, accurately in the Offense. That should be a great teaching tool for everybody playing.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back