• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Clickbait Headline: Frost "questions" Saban’s QB handling in Final

AzHusker

Big Red Fanatic
15 Year Member
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...tions-nick-sabans-handling-of-tua-tagovailoa/

”The other answer is that [Tagovailoa] was pretty obviously better and they had 12 games to figure that out and didn’t. Coach Saban is above criticism with everything he’s accomplished, so I don’t mean it that way, but I recruited Tua out of high school and knew what he could do and it doesn’t surprise me that he did what he did. Jalen’s a great player, too. That was a very bold and courageous move and I’m surprised it didn’t happen earlier [in the season].”

Comments?

Oooh. He is trying to politely state that if he had been the Bama coach, Tua would have been the starter... Which means Saban's failure to do that is maybe why Bama does not have a perfect season. You know, like UCF. Nyaaa nyaaa nyaa nyaa.:Taunt::Taunt:

Last edited:
Living here in Alabama, I've learned one thing: Saban does what Saban does. He doesn't change unless he is being beat, and then anything is possible up to and including less than honorable play on the field. The man hates to lose, and he will sell his soul to get the win.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...tions-nick-sabans-handling-of-tua-tagovailoa/

"That was a very bold and courageous move and I’m surprised it didn’t happen earlier [in the season].”

Comments?

Frost critical of Saban? Now, that is a real stretch and simply nonsense, IMO! I do not read Frost's statement as overt criticism, even a little bit. It was simply a comment about a football game, as much as any football fan who saw the game might have made, and probably did make. When Saban made the change in QB, I told my wife, "Wow, that takes some real guts to put in a freshman at this juncture of the game." Frost gave credit where credit was due. Saban's record speaks for itself and I am not an Alabama fan. I would be willing to bet that if the question was posed to Frost has to who he thought the top coaches in college football were, he would have Saban very near the top of his list.

Frost critical of Saban? Now, that is a real stretch and simply nonsense, IMO! I do not read Frost's statement as overt criticism, even a little bit. It was simply a comment about a football game, as much as any football fan who saw the game might have made, and probably did make. When Saban made the change in QB, I told my wife, "Wow, that takes some real guts to put in a freshman at this juncture of the game." Frost gave credit where credit was due. Saban's record speaks for itself and I am not an Alabama fan. I would be willing to bet that if the question was posed to Frost has to who he thought the top coaches in college football were, he would have Saban very near the top of his list.

Yes, I saw this article as a "headline generator," basically. "Let's ask the young upstart coach, who is froggy and full of opinions after his undefeated season, a question about The Grand Master's decision-making." Scott was not by any means critical of putting Tua in at the time - in fact he was pretty complimentary as you point out.

The statement that MIGHT be interpreted as questioning of The Master was "what took you so long to make the guy your quarterback?"

Tua appeared in 7 games at 'bama through the regular season, threw for 8 touchdowns and roughly over 60% completion, ran for 2 td's. ALL of his appearances were in blow-out games in mop-up duty. Tua never saw action in any of the closer games, nor in the loss to Auburn. Here's his stats: http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4241479/tua-tagovailoa

Really, it's a legitimate question about how to balance playing time for an accomplished QB - Hurts, who may lack some skills to win games with his arm but is a leader in every way, and the young guy who can light it up, but probably still makes judgement errors occasionally (like taking a couple huge sacks for loss in the NC game) and might benefit from time to observe and develop. Scott knew Tua well, had confidence in what he brings, and given his knowledge and the benefit of hindsight, says he should have been playing more all season. Who knows, he's in recruiting mode, maybe Scott was talking to talented freshmen out there - "come to Nebraska, you'll get a fair opportunity to play right away."

Does anyone think Meyer, Malzahn, Chris Peterson, Jimbo, Harbaugh, Dantoni, or any the other accomplished coaches would have given a "non-political" answer to the question like Scott did? I doubt it. The only one that I can think of that might would be Mike Leach, though he just as likely might have made some oblique reference to obscure the issue even more. Most of the other guys would have just deferred "no one knows those QB's better than Saban, he's spent all year with them, it's a judgment call, etc."

Last edited:

The Gump fan base is in full on Hate Frost Mode over this clickbait article though. Some of the comments in this AL.com article are pretty vile. Pretty standard reaction by the bammers when you criticize anything in regards to the program.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/scott_frost_questions_why_it_t.html#comments

:Lol: whoooooeee 250 comments and counting. Some are even full sentences and mostly correct spelling!

So much for basking in the glory of a big win - those people need something to HATE :rolleyes:

This from Big Al: "Hey Frost, you do know that Hurts is a far, far, far better QB than you ever were. Maybe we need to question why you ever played the game. " :Rolf:

Last edited:
The Gump fan base is in full on Hate Frost Mode over this clickbait article though. Some of the comments in this AL.com article are pretty vile. Pretty standard reaction by the bammers when you criticize anything in regards to the program.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/scott_frost_questions_why_it_t.html#comments
394.jpg

How much of a mental midget do you have to be to think that was in any way criticism. It was an observation and he went out of his way to compliment Saban as he did it. Saying "I would not have the courage to do it." is in fact a hell of a compliment. He called him courageous. How is that a slam?

Probably best to give coach speak there...'Alabama is a great program. We have an opportunity at N to get our program playing and competing for championships again. Really excited for the kids in our program.' But whatever...he said what others were thinking...that's admirable in itself.

Often wondered what happened in Eugene in 2015 when Oregon brought Vernon Adams in to play. Oregon had a couple of players with a few years under their belt at QB...Jeff Lockie was a RJr with meaningful game reps and Taylor Alie was a RSo (both coached by SF)...but they decided to go with Vernon Adams. The following season (SF left for UCF) they went the grad transfer route again with Dakota Prukop.

Last edited:

Living here in Alabama, I've learned one thing: Saban does what Saban does. He doesn't change unless he is being beat, and then anything is possible up to and including less than honorable play on the field. The man hates to lose, and he will sell his soul to get the win.
Turbin Meyer does the same thing, as long as he winning nothing changes. But then why should it?

How much of a mental midget do you have to be to think that was in any way criticism. It was an observation and he went out of his way to compliment Saban as he did it. Saying "I would not have the courage to do it." is in fact a hell of a compliment. He called him courageous. How is that a slam?
Nicki the snake is their hero and he can do no wrong.

Last edited:

If changing the QB was all they did at half time, they still lose the game. They made defensive adjustments which resulted in less scoring by Georgia and the loss. :Stirthepot:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back