• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

of everything I've read and listened to....

Californication

Charlie Brown
15 Year Member
The situation the Defensive coaches were put into with the hiring of Diaco is the most sad. And of them all, I feel the worst for Parrella. You work your ass off as a player, go into coaching and work harder, then get your dream job at your alma mater. Then you get a new boss that just sucks, and now you are out. That would be devastating to me; I wish very much there was a way to remedy that for not only Parrella, but the other coaches. And please, no one tell me how the money is soothing their pain.

Last edited:

I feel bad for JP as well. No reason he can’t get work if he wants it, though. Maybe circumstances will bring him back some day.

Last edited:
I feel JP gave his best it was just not the right time for him to succeed.

You REALLY want to feel bad for him, listen to the Charlie McBride radio interview that was posted here recently.

Yup. JP knew things were junk with the defense but Riley, Diaco, or hell, Eichorst (?) had zero motivation to change them.

McBride asked about how much 1:1 time each position coach got with their position players and it was basically none. McBride said he pushed Osborne for even more "small group" time in practices so they could teach the finer points of technique and fundamentals.

When nobody - including Diaco - is taking the time to ensure defenders know how to execute proper tackles in space, where to put their hands, foot placement, etc., it's absolutely no wonder the defense leaked like a piss soaked paper bag.

Add me to the list of JP sympathizers. I was really hoping he would get a chance to stick with the new staff, but I completely support Frost's decisions. He was in a bad situation under the old regime and the situation just isn't going to work for him with the new one.

Yes, JP definitely got a raw deal. Trying to turn around a culture from the bottom up is difficult and requires a lot of time. Hope he lands on his feet!

I feel bad for him too. But like Red, I’ll trust SF and maybe if his DL coach moves up or on he can revisit JP at that point.

You never know what will happen. He might get another shot at NU and if not, he's not going to be without options IMO.

I felt JP got the "raw deal" with the staff change. It is what it is, and I get Frost wanting to bring in "his guys." But you'd like to think there's room for a guy like JP on this staff.

Also - it seems that Bob Elliott's passing was a big loss for Diaco. From accounts of how well he related to players, it seemed like he was the one who was going to "translate" Diaco's defense to the coaches and the players on the roster.

Now that the dust has finally settled on the 2017 season, it's easy to see that it was just a complete and colossal screw-up by the program leadership.

Last edited:
The situation the Defensive coaches were put into with the hiring of Diaco is the most sad. And of them all, I feel the worst for Parrella. You work your ass off as a player, go into coaching and work harder, then get your dream job at your alma mater. Then you get a new boss that just sucks, and now you are out. That would be devastating to me; I wish very much there was a way to remedy that for not only Parrella, but the other coaches. And please, no one tell me how the money is soothing their pain.
The money is soothing their pain.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back