• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Holiday Drinks?

BEER! and the occasional spicy Bloody Mary Morning.
I love bloody mary's on occasion and the taste of beer I just have trouble with it....I get full quickly and never get the buzz I'm after. I probably just need to eat less food and drink more beer.

Last edited:

I love bloody mary's on occasion and the taste of beer I just have trouble with it....I get full quickly and never get the buzz I'm after. I probably just need to eat less food and drink more beer.
I always find it best, if I eat more beer and drink less food, it works out nicely that way.

Reactions: Yep
I get what you're saying but it isn't entirely accurate. You are correct it is a brand of Buffalo Trace and the mash bill is almost identical to Buffalo Trace. The difference between Buffalo Trace and PVW is the barrel and what floor it is stored in at the barrel house. It's not just a sticker. That is similar to saying Ford makes an F-150 and then some guy come over and slaps a King Ranch sticker on it.

The barrel, length of storage and storage conditions are what gives all bourbon its flavor. It's basically a clear grain alcohol when it is initially distilled and they all taste about the same when they leave the pot still.

Yeah, I know all of that and I'm not sure why I'm even belaboring the point. The guy whom told me this works for a competing brand so he was probably not being entirely honest.

Really? That sucks. I absolutely love good beer. Have you tried different types? Do you have a good, local brewery scene?

Really? That sucks. I absolutely love good beer. Have you tried different types? Do you have a good, local brewery scene?
Sorry that wasn't a coherent sentence. I love the taste of beer. I just get full too fast. I like ambers, browns, and some wheats. Chimay is probably my favorite beer. I don't like hoppy beers like IPA's. We have a pretty good local brewery scene in Phoenix but probably not as good as other towns.

Last edited:
Sorry that wasn't a coherent sentence. I love the taste of beer. I just get full too fast. I like ambers, browns, and some wheats. Chimay is probably my favorite beer. I don't like hoppy beers like IPA's. We have a pretty good local brewery scene in Phoenix but probably not as good as other towns.
Ah, gotcha. Its too bad that you don't like the "hoppier" beers as I find them to be less filling than a stout. What about a nice lager, that's kinda in between?

Heading to Thailand tomorrow so my holiday drinks will be Chang and Singha beer and maybe some Mekong whiskey thrown in for good measure.

Ah, gotcha. Its too bad that you don't like the "hoppier" beers as I find them to be less filling than a stout. What about a nice lager, that's kinda in between?
I do enjoy lagers, probably a pilsner is my favorite lager. Unless ambers are considered a lager, then I go with an amber.

Last edited:

I was enjoying a White Russian last weekend. Anyone want to share a good holiday drink recipe they enjoy? I'm a bourbon drinker (on the rocks), so I usually like my alcohol with my alcohol but around the holiday time I enjoy different drinks. I'm assuming most people know a White Russian recipe but here it is:

White Russian
2 shots vodka
1 shot Kahlua
3/4 to 1 shot cream (I like heavy whipping cream but half and half works too)
It has been probably close to 30 years since I have had one. I liked them, so need to give it a try. I'd probably leave out the vodka, not sure I see the point. Besides, I am a lightweight, so I'd probably argue in favor of more even cream to alcohol ratio.

I drink my whiskies neat but during the holidays I buy one bottle of: Drambuie. It just tastes like Festivus!
Not a whisky fan, but neat is my preference. Keeps me from drinking them too fast. Also better to savor the flavor; water or ice tends to dilute. My drink preference is a good Cabernet.

My holiday favorite is eggnog. I generally always have non-alcoholic, because most parties I attend you don't want to serve alcoholic mixed drinks as not everyone is able to drink alcoholic beverages. I think it is good with rum. My real issue is a lot of the commercial stuff from the grocery store have a lot of cheap substitute ingredients. I've never tried making my own. I guess one first has to start by getting pasteurized eggs due to salmonella risk. Might consider that this year.

In general, my favorite mixed drinks have a lot of cream and flavor. So amaretto and cream, and Bailey's are always good. I tend to go with half and half as the heavy whipping cream stuff tends solidify and stick to ice and solidify and doesn't taste optimal (maybe I error in including ice-but I like that too).

My key holiday issue is too much drink gets in the way of consuming mass quantities of quality food. That is why I rarely drink beer; usually drink wine. The mixed drinks w/ cream however are a good idea, and I may have to make a point of doing that this year.

One thing one can also do, if you don't have minors and/or people with drinking problems is make chocolate or other flavored mousees. I once made a tres leches with a mousse that included Bailey's. It was outstanding.

Last edited:
It has been probably close to 30 years since I have had one. I liked them, so need to give it a try. I'd probably leave out the vodka, not sure I see the point. Besides, I am a lightweight, so I'd probably argue in favor of more even cream to alcohol ratio.

Not a whisky fan, but neat is my preference. Keeps me from drinking them too fast. Also better to savor the flavor; water or ice tends to dilute. My drink preference is a good Cabernet.

My holiday favorite is eggnog. I generally always have non-alcoholic, because most parties I attend you don't want to serve alcoholic mixed drinks as not everyone is able to drink alcoholic beverages. I think it is good with rum. My real issue is a lot of the commercial stuff from the grocery store have a lot of cheap substitute ingredients. I've never tried making my own. I guess one first has to start by getting pasteurized eggs due to salmonella risk. Might consider that this year.

In general, my favorite mixed drinks have a lot of cream and flavor. So amaretto and cream, and Bailey's are always good. I tend to go with half and half as the heavy whipping cream stuff tends solidify and stick to ice and solidify and doesn't taste optimal (maybe I error in including ice-but I like that too).

My key holiday issue is too much drink gets in the way of consuming mass quantities of quality food. That is why I rarely drink beer; usually drink wine. The mixed drinks w/ cream however are a good idea, and I may have to make a point of doing that this year.

One thing one can also do, if you don't have minors and/or people with drinking problems is make chocolate or other flavored mousees. I once made a tres leches with a mousse that included Bailey's. It was outstanding.
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

My go to holiday (and winter in general) drink is Scotch. The smokier the better. Lagavulin has been my favorite for as long as I can remember.

Nothing like a Kamikaze to get your endorphins released.

Ingredients

Whoa, that's a blast from the past. When I was at Ft. Carson, we would line them up on the bar and race with the loser buying the round(s) we just drank. I turned 21 there and they tried to line 21 of them up for me. Nope.

Good stuff though, thanks for jogging my memory. I'll have to hook some of these up at our next soirée. :thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back