• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rapid Air Fryers

Does anybody but me charcoal (with a few lumps of hickory) grill their wings? I tried it many years ago and never looked back.

Does anybody but me charcoal (with a few lumps of hickory) grill their wings? I tried it many years ago and never looked back.

Lump charcoal and chunks of (insert species of wood based on meat being cooked) is my go to for everything.

Lump charcoal and chunks of (insert species of wood based on meat being cooked) is my go to for everything.
Absolutely. I fired up my gas grill exactly two times this year and that's only because I had to, due to time constraints. For pig I use apple and/or cherry. For beef I use hickory and for poultry I try to find peach, if I can. Wings are the exception though, Ms. King far prefers hickory over anything else I've tried.

Absolutely. I fired up my gas grill exactly two times this year and that's only because I had to, due to time constraints. For pig I use apple and/or cherry. For beef I use hickory and for poultry I try to find peach, if I can. Wings are the exception though, Ms. King far prefers hickory over anything else I've tried.

I've been using a lot of hickory and pecan because they're both easy to find in the Carolina's. I agree with Mrs. King, but Mesquite smoked wings do not suck.

I've been using a lot of hickory and pecan because they're both easy to find in the Carolina's. I agree with Mrs. King, but Mesquite smoked wings do not suck.
You know, I've never smoked with mesquite. I've been told it's bitter.

You know, I've never smoked with mesquite. I've been told it's bitter.

I'd call it spicy. It's not a good fit for subtle meats or folks that don't like extra kick, but I'll start out with mesquite for wings to get a good smoke on them and switch to apple or pecan mixed with lump charcoal to finish them off.

I'd call it spicy. It's not a good fit for subtle meats or folks that don't like extra kick, but I'll start out with mesquite for wings to get a good smoke on them and switch to apple or pecan mixed with lump charcoal to finish them off.
Personally, I'm a fan of bold flavor and I like a LOT of smoke on my BBQ so I'll have to give that a shot. You switch woods when you're smoking wings? How long do you leave yours on?

Personally, I'm a fan of bold flavor and I like a LOT of smoke on my BBQ so I'll have to give that a shot. You switch woods when you're smoking wings? How long do you leave yours on?

So am I. I love a good heavily hickory smoked brisket and I'll smoke that mother the whole time. If I'm in a hurry I'll smoked for 30-45 minutes and finish on the grill, but my normal smoked wings are 4-6 hours and I'll always either start with mesquite or hickory and apple seems to be the best finish. Keeps adding smoke but it's a little sweeter.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back