• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** quick reaction to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
nu, whoever the coach, needs multiple years of really solid recruiting (and evaluation AND development) to really get this train rolling. we need a staff that excels at all 3.

Brilliant post!

images

I am surprised someone hasn't already thought of this.

Last edited:
IMPO, Lamar Jackson is playing out of position. He is a safety. Nebraska just doesn't have the depth or talent at CB to play him where he belongs.
thats got to be the strangest thing Ive read from you being the expert and all. Its pretty clear watching him that he rarely gets burned on any pass plays but yet his problem is that he cant tackle and he cant come up and hit or wrap up. And yet you think hes better suited for safety? I think the average Jo can tell this is an unintelligent statement

Last edited:
When kids don't pan out as well as the "stars" say, its never because the recruiting analysts were wrong, its always some excuse like bad coaching or out of position etc etc, rather than reality which is that it's a crap shoot and the experts are wrong frequently

thats got to be the strangest thing Ive read from you being the expert and all. Its pretty clear watching him that he rarely gets burned on any pass plays but yet his problem is that he cant tackle and he cant come up and hit or wrap up. And yet you think hes better suited for safety? I think the average Jo can tell this is an unintelligent statement

Lamar doesn't get burned on pass plays cause he's playing 15 yards off the ball. I'm assuming thats an indicator someone isn't real confident in his pass defending abilities either. For all the hype, he's got a ways to go IMO.

Lamar doesn't get burned on pass plays cause he's playing 15 yards off the ball. I'm assuming thats an indicator someone isn't real confident in his pass defending abilities either. For all the hype, he's got a ways to go IMO.
That happened first few games. Not happened much in recent games

I'd expound, but not really interested after that comment.

Why don't you just ask him respectfully instead of being a dick about it?

you think he decides to play "15 yards off the ball" himself?

He doesn't get burned because he's playing 15 yards off his man. The receivers are tired from all the running they do by the time they finally get into a coverage area with Jackson.

Another thing with Jackson goes back to what *** said in his original post, which I completely agree with...Nebraska doesn't have the sort of talent and depth available to push Jackson like Ohio State and Alabama do. Iron sharpens iron. Alabama and Ohio State basically have four or five star talent all over the field. Jackson talked all offseason about how he had an entitled attitude as a freshman and was humbled his first year in Lincoln. He goes to a school like Bama, tOSU, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, etc. that recruit beasts every year and he better show up with the right attitude or his a$$ isn't seeing the field as a frosh like he still did at Nebraska. They'd bury him on the depth chart, redshirt him and throw him on the scout team. And if that didn't work, in a couple years they'd simply recruit him out of the program. At those schools, you either keep up or transfer/get lost on 3rd string. Those schools have such an incredible culture of competition and a business-like approach - just like those USC teams did under Pete Carroll.

At Nebraska, they crowbar Jackson into the lineup, despite his pi$$-poor attitude, because they don't have a talent like him on the roster. Games against Ohio State and Tennessee showed Riley and Billy Devaney just how far Nebraska has to go in terms of matching the talent they need to compete with teams like OSU, Michigan and Penn State. Let alone teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa whom Nebraska still can't overcome.

I think Donte Williams and Keith Williams are great assistants to have on staff. I firmly believe those two will have Nebraska on those teams' level after two more recruiting classes. DB's like Bookie, Chase Williams and Mario Goodrich and WR's like Joshua Moore and Cameron Brown (not to mention the guys they had lined up to fill those classes out) are just what the doctor ordered. Those kids would come in and compete for serious PT early on. There presence on the roster would do exactly like *** talked about. Stanley Morgan dropping the balls he has, he knows that a talent like Joshua Moore is waiting to come in and catch those balls and take his PT away. Competition is motivation. Lamar Jackson doesn't act like a primadonna if someone like Bookie is waiting to snatch his starting spot from under him.

Of course that was before Riley was on thin ice. Hopefully the next coach is smart enough to keep those two on staff. The two of them could probably keep all the DB and WR committed despite a coaching change.
You've been beating the same wrong drum for quite some time. When are you guys going to learn that it's not simply about stargazing? I know that's your schtick, but there is so much more to being a football player than running fast and looking pretty in a uniform.

This team has enough talent to be undefeated against the schedule we've played.

Why don't you just ask him respectfully instead of being a dick about it?
Mainly because we've been treated to N2FL's assessments for quite some time... and he's been wrong a LOT. I certainly appreciate the effort he puts into what he does, but he's far from a top expert in talent evaluation, and even less of an expert in coaching, strategy, and development.

Last edited:

*** and N2FL have been two of the most informative posters on here the past several years. Their assessments are usually correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back