• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weight room

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Was told today....not rumored..... that things with the football coaches and Boyd Epley aren't good. He doesn't have any contact or involvement with football. His concentration is limited to other sports. Not by his choosing either.

Boyd built the S&C program that the Huskers were using throughout the 70-90's whether JP wants to acknowledge it or not. Not sure when he quit working directly with the athletes, but I'm sure he was managing the Assistants that did work with the kids...much as he would be doing today, if there wasn't some "bad blood" between the S&C staff and Boyd. Given our softness, talent, and injury issues, if I were Mark Philipp, i'd be doing everything I could to get BE as involved as possible.

Philipp needs Boyd walking behind him second guessing, about as much as Pelini or Riley needs Osborne doing the same.

Christ guys, move on. Boyd serves his purpose. He is a legend. But that doesn't mean Philipp doesn't know what he's doing or that everything has to be done exactly as Boyd sees fit. Hell, maybe Boyd has nothing to add of value to what's being done. Maybe things have passed him by. Maybe not. The point is no one here knows. It's simply amazing that other teams have excelled at strength and conditioning as well without Boyd there to guide them (note the sarcasm).

At some point, we HAVE to stop this constant idea that magic happens if some ex-coach/player from the 90s is injected into the program. The "Nebraska Way" is the winning way. It's not a Nebraska thing. It's also the Alabama, OSU, Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma thing. Big, fast, dedicated, hard-working athletes who take to coaching is the goal of every program that experiences high-end success. This isn't the "Nebraska" way now anymore than it was the "Alabama" way when they stunk as well.

Love what Boyd did with the program, but I have to think a couple of things have happened since his in depth involvement with the team that have affected performance on the field.

First, NU isn't the oddity anymore as it relates to Strength and Conditioning. The days of being the best because we had a years long head start are over. Most major teams have caught up.

Second, the means and methods of strength training have changed and it's not in Boyd's wheelhouse anymore. Newer concepts and theories are being used all over sport. Not saying he can't be part of it, but he's no longer a visionary.

Philipp needs Boyd walking behind him second guessing, about as much as Pelini or Riley needs Osborne doing the same.

Christ guys, move on. Boyd serves his purpose. He is a legend. But that doesn't mean Philipp doesn't know what he's doing or that everything has to be done exactly as Boyd sees fit. Hell, maybe Boyd has nothing to add of value to what's being done. Maybe things have passed him by. Maybe not. The point is no one here knows. It's simply amazing that other teams have excelled at strength and conditioning as well without Boyd there to guide them (note the sarcasm).

At some point, we HAVE to stop this constant idea that magic happens if some ex-coach/player from the 90s is injected into the program. The "Nebraska Way" is the winning way. It's not a Nebraska thing. It's also the Alabama, OSU, Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma thing. Big, fast, dedicated, hard-working athletes who take to coaching is the goal of every program that experiences high-end success. This isn't the "Nebraska" way now anymore than it was the "Alabama" way when they stunk as well.
slam. dunk.

If MR is fired I assume that Mark Phillip would be too, eventually. If he wants to stick around he may want to include BE, just my thoughts. Maybe to show he's a team player?

I just cannot believe what a dumpster fire this whole program seems to be right now - on so many levels. Makes me sick.

This is all fine and they may have different philosophies, but I'm not comfortable if Boyd is not welcome around the football facility. Not saying that's the case, but hopefully this is more him not wanting to interfere.

As an aside, we're about 2 weeks removed from Boyd essentially telling the fan base that MR should get more time because of the great job he was doing getting better talent to NU. Paraphrasing him there, we don't need another thread on talent. It seems odd he would take up for MR if they were at odds as the OP suggests.

As an aside, we're about 2 weeks removed from Boyd essentially telling the fan base that MR should get more time because of the great job he was doing getting better talent to NU. Paraphrasing him there, we don't need another thread on talent. It seems odd he would take up for MR if they were at odds as the OP suggests.

I'd forgotten about that and you're right. I can't envision Epley being all in if he was told to go away. He's seen the improvement in physical talent, we need to see that play it's self out on the football field.

Love what Boyd did with the program, but I have to think a couple of things have happened since his in depth involvement with the team that have affected performance on the field.

First, NU isn't the oddity anymore as it relates to Strength and Conditioning. The days of being the best because we had a years long head start are over. Most major teams have caught up.

Second, the means and methods of strength training have changed and it's not in Boyd's wheelhouse anymore. Newer concepts and theories are being used all over sport. Not saying he can't be part of it, but he's no longer a visionary.

If Patches O'Houlihan can still get it done, don't count out BE.;)

easybib.PNG

:thumbsup:

Boyd built the S&C program that the Huskers were using throughout the 70-90's whether JP wants to acknowledge it or not. Not sure when he quit working directly with the athletes, but I'm sure he was managing the Assistants that did work with the kids...much as he would be doing today, if there wasn't some "bad blood" between the S&C staff and Boyd. Given our softness, talent, and injury issues, if I were Mark Philipp, i'd be doing everything I could to get BE as involved as possible.
Boyd was a pioneer and was The Godfather of modern strength and conditioning. That being said, he was kinda out for Boyd. He was the mastermind behind the hip sled in the early 80s and I believe received some nice royalties. Every high school in NE bought one, when what they should have really bought was a 2nd squat rack and platform for Olympic lifts. By the lates 80s those things were for drying out the hand washed wrestling uniforms or simply moved out of weight rooms, including Nebraska. My recollection is his assistants changed back to a more CrossFit like regimen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back