• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** quick reaction to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMPO, Lamar Jackson is playing out of position. He is a safety. Nebraska just doesn't have the depth or talent at CB to play him where he belongs.

Do you think he'd have made a better safety this season than Kalu? Or is Kalu a more natural safety as well? Outside of Antonio Reed and Aaron Williams, doesn't feel like we have too many physical secondary players.

Jackson is a great athlete..not much of a football player. If he was at a place like OSU or Bama he wouldn't see the field and people wouldn't spend one second worrying about "development"....he'd just be another in a long list of 4 star guys that don't pan out at those places. When you have 3 just like him at the same position you don't really notice the busts.

Another thing with Jackson goes back to what *** said in his original post, which I completely agree with...Nebraska doesn't have the sort of talent and depth available to push Jackson like Ohio State and Alabama do. Iron sharpens iron. Alabama and Ohio State basically have four or five star talent all over the field. Jackson talked all offseason about how he had an entitled attitude as a freshman and was humbled his first year in Lincoln. He goes to a school like Bama, tOSU, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, etc. that recruit beasts every year and he better show up with the right attitude or his a$$ isn't seeing the field as a frosh like he still did at Nebraska. They'd bury him on the depth chart, redshirt him and throw him on the scout team. And if that didn't work, in a couple years they'd simply recruit him out of the program. At those schools, you either keep up or transfer/get lost on 3rd string. Those schools have such an incredible culture of competition and a business-like approach - just like those USC teams did under Pete Carroll.

At Nebraska, they crowbar Jackson into the lineup, despite his pi$$-poor attitude, because they don't have a talent like him on the roster. Games against Ohio State and Tennessee showed Riley and Billy Devaney just how far Nebraska has to go in terms of matching the talent they need to compete with teams like OSU, Michigan and Penn State. Let alone teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa whom Nebraska still can't overcome.

I think Donte Williams and Keith Williams are great assistants to have on staff. I firmly believe those two will have Nebraska on those teams' level after two more recruiting classes. DB's like Bookie, Chase Williams and Mario Goodrich and WR's like Joshua Moore and Cameron Brown (not to mention the guys they had lined up to fill those classes out) are just what the doctor ordered. Those kids would come in and compete for serious PT early on. There presence on the roster would do exactly like *** talked about. Stanley Morgan dropping the balls he has, he knows that a talent like Joshua Moore is waiting to come in and catch those balls and take his PT away. Competition is motivation. Lamar Jackson doesn't act like a primadonna if someone like Bookie is waiting to snatch his starting spot from under him.

Of course that was before Riley was on thin ice. Hopefully the next coach is smart enough to keep those two on staff. The two of them could probably keep all the DB and WR committed despite a coaching change.

Another thing with Jackson goes back to what *** said in his original post, which I completely agree with...Nebraska doesn't have the sort of talent and depth available to push Jackson like Ohio State and Alabama do. Iron sharpens iron. Alabama and Ohio State basically have four or five star talent all over the field. Jackson talked all offseason about how he had an entitled attitude as a freshman and was humbled his first year in Lincoln. He goes to a school like Bama, tOSU, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, etc. that recruit beasts every year and he better show up with the right attitude or his a$$ isn't seeing the field as a frosh like he still did at Nebraska. They'd bury him on the depth chart, redshirt him and throw him on the scout team. And if that didn't work, in a couple years they'd simply recruit him out of the program. At those schools, you either keep up or transfer/get lost on 3rd string. Those schools have such an incredible culture of competition and a business-like approach - just like those USC teams did under Pete Carroll.

At Nebraska, they crowbar Jackson into the lineup, despite his pi$$-poor attitude, because they don't have a talent like him on the roster. Games against Ohio State and Tennessee showed Riley and Billy Devaney just how far Nebraska has to go in terms of matching the talent they need to compete with teams like OSU, Michigan and Penn State. Let alone teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa whom Nebraska still can't overcome.

I think Donte Williams and Keith Williams are great assistants to have on staff. I firmly believe those two will have Nebraska on those teams' level after two more recruiting classes. DB's like Bookie, Chase Williams and Mario Goodrich and WR's like Joshua Moore and Cameron Brown (not to mention the guys they had lined up to fill those classes out) are just what the doctor ordered. Those kids would come in and compete for serious PT early on. There presence on the roster would do exactly like *** talked about. Stanley Morgan dropping the balls he has, he knows that a talent like Joshua Moore is waiting to come in and catch those balls and take his PT away. Competition is motivation. Lamar Jackson doesn't act like a primadonna if someone like Bookie is waiting to snatch his starting spot from under him.

Of course that was before Riley was on thin ice. Hopefully the next coach is smart enough to keep those two on staff. The two of them could probably keep all the DB and WR committed despite a coaching change.
But, Jackson was a 4 star recruit...

i guess i kimd of was sayimg the same thing...LJ is "elite" here the day he walks through the door. at bama or osu he'd either figure it out quick or get lost in the depth chart. when they miss on a "4 star" there are 3 others at the same position..the law of averages practically dictates that they don't have to stick with a guy that isn't getting it done.

granted, i singled out LJ but this isn't meant as a personal slam really...just that when nu misses OR has to play a guy out of position it stands out. nu, whoever the coach, needs multiple years of really solid recruiting (and evaluation AND development) to really get this train rolling. we need a staff that excels at all 3.

Do you think he'd have made a better safety this season than Kalu? Or is Kalu a more natural safety as well? Outside of Antonio Reed and Aaron Williams, doesn't feel like we have too many physical secondary players.

Oh no. Nebraska has depth at safety. Lamar Jackson would have been the 5th safety behind Kalu, Aaron Williams, Antonio Reed and JoJo Domann. He is such a crazy size-speed-athlete that if it clicks for him at CB, he's going to be special. The problem is he hasn't played CB until last year (when he should have redshirted) and now you're looking at him hopefully hitting his stride as a junior. Then you throw in the fact he might be playing for a new DB coach for the second half of his career and that can stunt a guys growth too. Ideally, Jackson could have come to Nebraska and if he was going to try out CB, he would have redshirted and been Donte Williams' special project for at least a year. Nebraska's lack of depth at corner pretty much accelerated his time line.

Oh and yes IMO Kalu is a much better fit as a FS than at CB. And I think Antonio Reed is Nebraska's only real physical DB, although JoJo Domann was impressing before his injury. Aaron Williams isn't shy and tries to throw his weight around a bit in run support, but the dude is maybe 190. He's a smart player but just not very big and IMPO a step slower than you want.

Dead on. If we make a change at the top, any new coach would be making a big mistake by not keeping those two on the staff. I hope Parella would get a hard look as well.

I'm sure there are some coaches who bring in a full deck of new assistants, but I think it is pretty common for there to be a few holdovers from the last staff. If I remember our recent history correctly, Callahan retained Gill and Downing, Pelini retained Watson and Gilmore, and Riley initially retained Warren.

Dead on. If we make a change at the top, any new coach would be making a big mistake by not keeping those two on the staff. I hope Parella would get a hard look as well.

I'm sure there are some coaches who bring in a full deck of new assistants, but I think it is pretty common for there to be a few holdovers from the last staff. If I remember our recent history correctly, Callahan retained Gill and Downing, Pelini retained Watson and Gilmore, and Riley initially retained Warren.

I would keep Parrella too. The thing that helps is that neither of the Williams' are "Riley Guys" in that neither were long tenured guys he brought over from OSU. Both are coaches he's worked with just at Nebraska and for a relatively short time, even Keith. Both are nationally known and respected for both their recruiting AND coaching. I don't see how the next coach doesn't keep them, especially when he sees the talent committed to Nebraska because of them, but you never know. He sure would be smart to.

Speaking of "will compete for time right away"

Jackson 4* 95

According to recruiting threads when these guys were verbal commits they were going to do the same and would be the future of our secondary

Eric Lee 4* 94
Avery Anderson 4* 89

If the staff comes in and sees we are so short on talent at CB, and I would certainly hope they could figure it out pretty quickly, do something about it. Here we are half way through season 3 and who has this staff brought in at CB? Bootle and Butler. Bootle is seeing the field and Butler is listed behind walk on Stovall. Even if you come in and assume Lee and Avery will pan out, Avery is just like Jackson in that he was probably meant to be a safety. I keep hearing about these depth issues as if they came out of the blue when really it is more like

3053001.gif

How many more times do we have to hear "will compete for playing time right away" as if an immediate fix is coming, when it doesn't.

Disagree. Hire a coach to win. Then you don't have to worry about sell outs. If we hire Frost to sell tickets without talking to other guys who could be better, we have the wrong AD.

The bolded is the 5 million dollar question. There are no guarantees with this thing. Frost just might be the BEST coach NU could hire. No two jobs are the same and success in another position doesn't automatically mean similar success at NU. I think the only thing that really is apparent at hiring are the ones which have a 99% chance of being a bad hire. We've seen that twice.

IMPO, Lamar Jackson is playing out of position. He is a safety. Nebraska just doesn't have the depth or talent at CB to play him where he belongs.

Sorry, but i disagree with this. If the player isn't getting the job done at the position, then you have to play someone who can do the job. Simply saying he is out of position doesn't change the fact that it is the coaches who put him there. A lesser athlete that gets the job done is of more use than someone who is a 4* and can't do what is required.

Sort of like talents like Derion Grim, KJJ, etc? It isn't always about the next great class which as of yet hasn''t done anything at the D1 level. LJ was a PRIZE recruit. Morgan was highly touted....so now he isn't doing the job and Moore will for sure get it done? Say all you want about depth, accountability, etc....but if the player isn't going to develop and play to his clippings, it doesn't really matter what accolades he comes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back