• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** quick reaction to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think that's consistent amongst the fan base. People still care a great deal around the country. That's unfortunate that it's gotten that way for some people but I'm not convinced total fan base apathy is happening yet. A few more years though and who knows

I don't know if how it is across the entire fan base, but I've worked in Nebraska schools the last twenty years. A majority of the students I see are disinterested. What should be the next generation of Husker fans has a great deal of conditioned apathy built in. They don't build their weekends around watching the game like we used to do. I know because I've asked. The majority of the current fan base isn't made up of young people, but from what I've seen, the next generation of fans is shaky.

I don't know if how it is across the entire fan base, but I've worked in Nebraska schools the last twenty years. A majority of the students I see are disinterested. What should be the next generation of Husker fans has a great deal of conditioned apathy built in. They don't build their weekends around watching the game like we used to do. I know because I've asked. The majority of the current fan base isn't made up of young people, but from what I've seen, the next generation of fans is shaky.

I don't believe that is just a Nebraska thing. I think it's more of a generational issue. I read just this week how Dabo Sweeney has been imploring with their students to show up to games. And that's their students, not kids. And coming off a national championship.

I think we're going to continue to see most super sized stadiums downsized for greater comfort and more realistic capacity needs going forward.

Go back and watch some of those Riley OSU teams specifically 2006 and 2008 he played the most physical USC teams you would ever want to see and went toe to toe with them. They shoved the ball down USC's throat and this was the best USC defense I think of the Carroll era.
What happened a decade ago with a different team has little bearing on what we're seeing today.

But since you want to take a trip down memory lane, how physical do you think Riley's 2006 Beavers were when they lost 42-14 to Boise State? Or when they were blown out by Cal 41-13? Or inexplicably stumbling against a very pedestrian 6-6 Washington State? Their 4 losses that season were all to unranked teams.

There were blowouts in 2008, too. 45-14, 65-38...

These are his absolute best seasons, and he was not ever able to sustain success. You can't cherry pick an upsethere and there and ignore the rest of his body of work.

What happened a decade ago with a different team has little bearing on what we're seeing today.

But since you want to take a trip down memory lane, how physical do you think Riley's 2006 Beavers were when they lost 42-14 to Boise State? Or when they were blown out by Cal 41-13? Or inexplicably stumbling against a very pedestrian 6-6 Washington State? Their 4 losses that season were all to unranked teams.

There were blowouts in 2008, too. 45-14, 65-38...

These are his absolute best seasons, and he was not ever able to sustain success. You can't cherry pick an upsethere and there and ignore the rest of his body of work.

I'm not cherry picking I'm simply stating a fact that he had teams capable of playing physical football against a USC defense that was a juggernaut that year. Either you are physical or you are not. Some posters act like Riley's practices are with skirts on. Some suggest because the practices are like playing patty cake he is incapable of playing physical football, I was just pointing out that their were games against the best they were the more physical team

Hard to ignore the irony of how much of ***'s post is about the lack of depth and then so many posters complain about the lack of physical practices. It was easier in the 80s and 90s when we had about three games where the opposing starters were as good as our fourth string.
By the way, I would guess that any of the five Ibacks I can remember from the 97 team would be our starter now.

I'm not cherry picking I'm simply stating a fact that he had teams capable of playing physical football against a USC defense that was a juggernaut that year. Either you are physical or you are not. Some posters act like Riley's practices are with skirts on. Some suggest because the practices are like playing patty cake he is incapable of playing physical football, I was just pointing out that their were games against the best they were the more physical team
I didn't watch the game in 2006, but being out-yarded 492 to 351 with 89 rushing yards on 35 carries doesn't sound very physical. The teams combined for less than 200 yards rushing and over 700 yards passing. That doesn't sound like a physical game... sounds like a typical Pac 10 game. USC turned the ball over 4 times. That appears to have been the difference, not some punishing attack on behalf of OSU.

Now the 2008 game MIGHT qualify. OSU ran for 176 yards and held USC to just 86. They controlled the clock after jumping out to a 21-0 lead. Again, USC lost the turnover battle 2-0.

They were able to pull off a couple upsets, but one game here or there doesn't prove toughness. Sorry.

*** - would you rather try to teach a running based Oline and teach them to pass block, or take a passing based Oline and try to get them to dominate a drive on the ground? I thought Foster's comment about not wanting to just run the ball was emblematic of their miserable play on the Oline. I don't understand how some of the professional writers talked about how good the Oline played when we couldn't move the ball in the second half.

We haven't even hired an AD so it's just a little difficult to have the wrong one. Let Green and Bounds make their choice. It's huge and if they get their guy - then all the processes will be met. No use hyperventilating that there could be better coaches than Frost. Of course there are. But, it's about availability and fit. And what is best for the program long-term.

I was simply addressing the comment on hiring someone to put butts in the seats. If Frost is the best interview in the eyes of our new AD, then Great. But the comment sounded a bit like signing a free agent baseball star past his prime in order to sell tickets. Hire a dude who wins, and his name or hometown won't be relevant to a sell out streak.

Go back and watch some of those Riley OSU teams specifically 2006 and 2008 he played the most physical USC teams you would ever want to see and went toe to toe with them. They shoved the ball down USC's throat and this was the best USC defense I think of the Carroll era.
One game does not a career make. I remember NU could not run on ISU Tommie’s freshman year, or not very well. Did that mean the Husker weren’t physical. No, it means they had a bad game which happens to most teams, even good teams. But to back up your point, why don’t you send the stats from that game. Did they jam it down USC’s throat to the tune of 350+ yards? Or was it way less something less? In my book, 89 rushing yards isn’t jamming it down someone’s throat. http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=263010204

OK, 2006 was 89 yards rushing. 2008....176.....Whoa, what a smash mouth effort!!!! I bet those Trojans had broken facemasks.:rolleyes::heisman:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=282690204

Hard to ignore the irony of how much of ***'s post is about the lack of depth and then so many posters complain about the lack of physical practices. It was easier in the 80s and 90s when we had about three games where the opposing starters were as good as our fourth string.
By the way, I would guess that any of the five Ibacks I can remember from the 97 team would be our starter now.
Problem is I think our lack of depth is due to not developing it. Take our OL for example where we have plenty of guys to really get after people in practice. We got four stars and major offer dudes not even sniffing the field.

Last edited:
*** - would you rather try to teach a running based Oline and teach them to pass block, or take a passing based Oline and try to get them to dominate a drive on the ground? I thought Foster's comment about not wanting to just run the ball was emblematic of their miserable play on the Oline. I don't understand how some of the professional writers talked about how good the Oline played when we couldn't move the ball in the second half.
Run it then teach them to pass block for a couple reasons. First, our local linemen are squatty and better run blockers. Second, if you are good at running you are catching the defense by surprise so you don't have to be as good of a pass blocker.

Jackson is a great athlete..not much of a football player. If he was at a place like OSU or Bama he wouldn't see the field and people wouldn't spend one second worrying about "development"....he'd just be another in a long list of 4 star guys that don't pan out at those places. When you have 3 just like him at the same position you don't really notice the busts.

IMPO, Lamar Jackson is playing out of position. He is a safety. Nebraska just doesn't have the depth or talent at CB to play him where he belongs.

IMPO, Lamar Jackson is playing out of position. He is a safety. Nebraska just doesn't have the depth or talent at CB to play him where he belongs.
physical enough for safety...doesnt seem too eager to "stick his nose in there" so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back