• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Trinidad & Tobago (10/10/17) Update: Flooded Pitch

Disagree that is not the issue.

Lets put it this way, I don't want to read about someone's success in MLS being a major reason for their inclusion in the USMNT going forward. They need to prove it against serious competition in club play, and as we're seeing, making your career in MLS is not proving yourself against serious competition. MLS is not at the level of play that cornerstone members of the USMNT need to be playing in when in their 20's. Guys like Dempsey and Howard at the end of their careers, sure. Like I said in the Panama thread, it's no surprise the best player on the USMNT right now isn't playing in MLS.

I will say it again its not the issue.

Lets put it this way, I don't want to read about someone's success in MLS being a major reason for their inclusion in the USMNT going forward. They need to prove it against serious competition in club play, and as we're seeing, making your career in MLS is not proving yourself against serious competition. MLS is not at the level of play that cornerstone members of the USMNT need to be playing in when in their 20's. Guys like Dempsey and Howard at the end of their careers, sure. Like I said in the Panama thread, it's no surprise the best player on the USMNT right now isn't playing in MLS.

You and I know exactly why they chose sites. $$$.

The short-sightedness doesn't look too financially beneficial now.....

Yup its all about the $$ and it finally caught up with us.

Including letting the Mexican National Team play all their friendlies in the USA

SUM needs to be overhauled too.

Sorry I am not trying to come across as a jerk its just not the issue. Look most of the guy we send to Europe play on bottom feeder teams in the EPL etc and it not only does not help their career in fact I argue sets them back because all they do is play on relegation teams and learn about the game as they hang on year after year or get relegated. Not ot mention US players are stereotyped and rarley get the opportunities they deserve. Plusic is an exception he just is.

Sorry I am not trying to come across as a jerk its just not the issue. Look most of the guy we send to Europe play on bottom feeder teams in the EPL etc and it not only does not help their career in fact I argue sets them back because all they do is play on relegation teams and learn about the game as they hang on year after year or get relegated. Not ot mention US players are stereotyped and rarley get the opportunities they deserve. Plusic is an exception he just is.

And unfortunately the stereotype will only grow stronger now.

And unfortunately the stereotype will only grow stronger now.

Not if we take it head on it won't. We have change what we do in this country from the grass roots up and I have been saying that for years on here. From pay to play to college players etc. We do not have the best kids getting the opportunities to play the game and have a chance to eventually play for the national team. Under Gulati and yes Kilinsman it got worst. The next group of folks have got to address it and start a whole sale culture change.

Immediate Gulati needs to go

Need to take our time and find the right coach to lead us back.

Rebuild our youth programs at the national team level

Start a concerted effort to change the culture in grass roots football so that its not about pay to play or which college you go to etc. Which means the best kids need to get a shot that they are now.

i don't know if they didn't step up as such. the US went away from what makes it unique. what teams around the world feared about the US was not skill or talent, but fitness and doggedness and organized tenacity and hustle. when the us went away from focusing on that and started trying other things is when they lost. Brazil went away from their flair and lost terribly. germany focused on their efficiency and won a world cup, spain won with their tiki-taka. even italy won with an impenetrable defensive mindset. i feel like i'm talking about husker football, but national teams have to find their uniqueness and use that as a foundation.

the reason why that works is because that is how the youth of all those countries are developed in soccer. i grew up outside the us so i saw this everyday. if you want to have your youth make impact and carry on the torch, you have to be deliberate about finding talents that accentuate that uniqueness in your country. the defense of the team that played today cannot hold a candle to even the folks from the last world cup, not to talk of the guys from years before that. taylor twellman almost made it into the british leagues mostly because of his hustle and just not knowing when to quit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back