• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Being PJ Fleck

Many a mid major star has fizzled on the big stage. Fleck may eat adversity for breakfast but we will be eating his lunch.
There are always exceptions to every rule. For every urb there are a dozen flops.

I'll bet you feel good knowing that Bob Devaney was not one of those mid-major flops.

Neither was Ara Parseghian, nor is Chris Pederson, but I suppose you could care less.

Last edited:

Minnesota is a tough job...regardless of who coaches them. PJ is a solid coach, but Minn is a different animal in that they have to line up and play Big 10 teams week in and week out. Row the boat won't work as well there. He'll have some success there, but nothing earth shattering.

Sounds like you think Minnesota = Oregon State. But if Fleck has a .500 record at Minnesota, I have a feeling Husker fans will judge his record more harshly than they have Mike Riley's .500 record at Oregon State.

Riley .500 at Oregon State = Success!

Fleck .500 at Minnesota = Fail!

Ain%E2%80%99t-that-the-truth..jpg

Last edited:
His kids may buy into his silly 'row the boat' mantra up until their little rowboat gets swamped by a passing speedboat in tOSU or Michigan. Then they'll start jumping ship.

Is PJ Fleck related to Scott Frost or something?

He is related to all of us. He is a human being. And if you listen with an open mind to what he has to say, you will understand that along with being a colorful used car salesman, he is also an exceptional educator pouring out his life in service to others in an attempt to give others a better quality of life.

His goal is to help his players grow academically, athletically, socially, and spiritually. That is the direction he will keep on rowing his boat, regardless of what the scoffers say. Personally I admire his goals. They are pro-people goals...he has an "All lives Matter" mantra.

Last edited:
Sounds like you think Minnesota = Oregon State. But if Fleck has a .500 record at Minnesota, I have a feeling Husker fans will judge his record more harshly than they have Mike Riley's .500 record at Oregon State.

Riley .500 at Oregon State = Success!

Fleck .500 at Minnesota = Fail!

Ain%E2%80%99t-that-the-truth..jpg

Last edited:

Say what you want about PJ Fleck but this is pretty cool. Hard to say something bad about him after watching this video. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
A certain poster would probably get more reasoned discussion on Frost and Fleck if it didn't feel like this every time they were brought up.

look-at-my-kids.gif

Used car salesmen are good at getting buy-in.
It's rare it last very long. That's what I wanted to point out to the poster who said their son went to a camp. Players like energy, they like enthusiasm, but bringing pom poms to practice everyday will wear thin with many players. It's like playing for a screamer; at first you are shocked, scared, and moving like your life depended on it. After a while you just don't hear the volume. You don't differentiate. There were many who said TO wasn't enthusiastic enough. His assistant coaches were, and when he did get a little pumped up, it had a serious impact on the players. Everyday, all the time, is really hard to sustain, and those valleys coming off those peaks are usually really deep.

It's rare it last very long. That's what I wanted to point out to the poster who said their son went to a camp. Players like energy, they like enthusiasm, but bringing pom poms to practice everyday will wear thin with many players. It's like playing for a screamer; at first you are shocked, scared, and moving like your life depended on it. After a while you just don't hear the volume. You don't differentiate. There were many who said TO wasn't enthusiastic enough. His assistant coaches were, and when he did get a little pumped up, it had a serious impact on the players. Everyday, all the time, is really hard to sustain, and those valleys coming off those peaks are usually really deep.
That's an interesting point. This is why I like balancing a guy like Diaco with someone like Riley. I don't know enough about Fleck's assistants to know if either of his coordinators is a more mellow, down to earth guy, but I'd guess that would help with that a bit.

That's an interesting point. This is why I like balancing a guy like Diaco with someone like Riley. I don't know enough about Fleck's assistants to know if either of his coordinators is a more mellow, down to earth guy, but I'd guess that would help with that a bit.
I think you need to blend a staff. Devaney had a very mellow Osborne as a counter. McBride could be animated for sure, which was a nice contrast to TO. I thought it was a great sign when Elliott was brought in, especially when he already had an association with Diaco. It goes to show that Diaco also recognizes the positives in having assorted personalities and skills.

Good post completely agree. In my personal experience coaching HS for 20 years, it is better to have a head coach that isn't too up or screaming all the time.

Let an assistant do the day to day ball busting, usually a d-line or o-line coach or both.

Then when it is needed for the head coach to yell it really means something.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back