• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Being PJ Fleck

This statement does not bring Urban Meyer to mind. Didn't he begin as a star at mid-major Bowling Green and then go on to star on the big stages after that?

:Confused:

Urban went to Utah after Bowling Green, which at the time was not in a Power 5 conference so he built his resume a little before hitting the big time. Urban Meyer is a great coach one of the best all time, but there are dozen's of hot shot mid major coaches that have not made a dent at the bigger schools.

I personally find PJ Fleck annoying.

Last edited:

Fleck will prove to be clown shoes.

Mike Riley has been a P5 coach for 16 seasons, never won a championship, and you think the jury is still out on him. PJ Fleck has never coached a P5 season and you have already declared a verdict on him.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
But you forgot to mention that lots of Western Michigan fans and players wish he had stayed.
probably true, western mich. ranked 89 this year in recruiting after recruiting the best out of the mac last few years, but at minnesota where he is now, minnesota is ranked 59th with 25 3stars out of their 26 commits so far. i'll take what we have over the car salesman anyday!!!GBR

When I saw the barrage of Fleck shows airing on BTN last night, my first thought was "What about 'Being Urb'?" He is the only BIG coach to win it all at this level after all. Bit then it hit me, aside from being a complete dirtbag, Meyer acts like a pro. He doesn't have some silly schtick like Fleck. I mean, if you say about yourself, "I eat difficult conversations for breakfast", you've already reached peak clown shoes.

That said, short term some of his guys probably won't go for the act. But as he gets his own recruits, I assume they'll be all in. He could do well at Minnesota. As for getting consistently into the upper echelon, I'm not sure he'll relate to the highest level talent guys.

One thing I do like is more characters in the BIG. Brings eyeballs to the conference and makes MR all the more attractive to parents.

Lot of fans up there are already tired of him...
Fans at Western were pretty frustrated at first also. Jokes about his boat having holes in it etc. I think they won one game first year. Same fans were pretty happy with him 2 years later.

And at this point nobody knows which side of the ledger PJ Fleck is on. I say rather than pass judgement now, let it play itself out on the field.

But we do know this... at Minnesota, Jerry Kill feels that PJ Fleck walked into a gold mine. Rebuilding is not necessary. The rebuilding has already been done.

http://www.startribune.com/jerry-kill-tells-btn-com-p-j-fleck-walked-into-a-gold-mine/417802963/
Interesting, and I agree with Kill. Fleck is in much the same situation Bo inherited (a gold mine), and Riley was in a similar situation to what Kill inherited (a mess), though at a much better supported program.

Minnesota is a tough job...regardless of who coaches them. PJ is a solid coach, but Minn is a different animal in that they have to line up and play Big 10 teams week in and week out. Row the boat won't work as well there. He'll have some success there, but nothing earth shattering.

Minnesota is a tough job...regardless of who coaches them. PJ is a solid coach, but Minn is a different animal in that they have to line up and play Big 10 teams week in and week out. Row the boat won't work as well there. He'll have some success there, but nothing earth shattering.

Fleck's Western Michigan team beat Northwestern and Illinois last season. It will be interesting to see if his Gophers can do the same thing this year.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back