• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

From the new album of what he calls 'Camp Fire' songs that he has wanted to do for awhile.

Last edited:

Yup not a Mayer fan either. I get what your saying about Bob singing Jerry's song BUT with that being said too many bands have replaced iconic singers with sound a likes to pacify some of the fan base. To me it comes down to an integrity issue and what the music is really about. Similiar situation in the Outlaws and they chose to do it like the Dead and Bob did with Henry Paul singing Hughie Thommasson's songs.

Just me but I like what they are sound and I suspect Jerry would took.

Oh and Bob's new solo album is terrific too.
I've always been kind of a Mayer hater but, from the stuff I've heard, he's done a pretty good job of playing Jerry. It is, however, weird to hear Bob singing Jerry songs.
Trying to understand how you are a Mayer "hater"? I can't understand, the guy can flat out sing, flat out play his guitar, he is truly an artist. Is it jealousy, that he is that good, or just that you don't like guys who are so technically good? If you heard this, and didn't know it was Mayer, would you say that you didn't like it? Just curious is all.

Trying to understand how you are a Mayer "hater"? I can't understand, the guy can flat out sing, flat out play his guitar, he is truly an artist. Is it jealousy, that he is that good, or just that you don't like guys who are so technically good? If you heard this, and didn't know it was Mayer, would you say that you didn't like it? Just curious is all.
He's certainly a solid guitar player but I've never cared for his music. It sounds like saccharine blue-eyed soul to me. I'm a hack guitar player who likes to noodle around in my living room and get together with the boys once in a while. I don't have the energy to waste being jealous on the tens of thousands of guitarists who are more talented than me. I already said he does a good job as a Jerry fill-in. There are plenty of "technically good" guitar players I enjoy. I'm not surprised you're a Mayer fan.

He's certainly a solid guitar player but I've never cared for his music. It sounds like saccharine blue-eyed soul to me. I'm a hack guitar player who likes to noodle around in my living room and get together with the boys once in a while. I don't have the energy to waste being jealous on the tens of thousands of guitarists who are more talented than me. I already said he does a good job as a Jerry fill-in. There are plenty of "technically good" guitar players I enjoy. I'm not surprised you're a Mayer fan.
Fair enough. No need for the snark though. He's good enough that Bob Weir wanted him to play Dead. LOL!

Yup not a Mayer fan either. I get what your saying about Bob singing Jerry's song BUT with that being said too many bands have replaced iconic singers with sound a likes to pacify some of the fan base. To me it comes down to an integrity issue and what the music is really about. Similiar situation in the Outlaws and they chose to do it like the Dead and Bob did with Henry Paul singing Hughie Thommasson's songs.

Just me but I like what they are sound and I suspect Jerry would took.

Oh and Bob's new solo album is terrific too.

Just like there are John songs and Paul songs, there are Jerry songs and Bob songs. I can't imagine John singing Yesterday or Jerry singing Promised Land or Greatest Story. It's just strange to hear Bob singing what is, IMO, the most Jerry of Jerry tunes (although I think it's tied with Loser).

I like who I like so it's as simple as that. With all due respect you have no clue who I like and thus your post comes across as uninformed. Not to mention way over the top and frankly way to agressive in nature. This is supposed to be a fun thread not one of the nature of your post. I will leave it that so as not to offend.

I am more of a feel guy when it comes to guitar players however the likes of Mick Taylor, Tommy Bolin, Steve Stevens, Duanne Allman and Jeff Beck are the rare combination of both. Big fan of all of them.

I could spend hours talking about the likes of Hubert Sumlin and Ted Turner however, your post soured my interest in this thread and this conversation.

Bottom line make sure you know who you are talking too and what their actual knowledge is.

Peace

I like who I like so it's as simple as that. With all due respect you have no clue who I like and thus your post comes across as uninformed. Not to mention way over the top and frankly way to agressive in nature. This is supposed to be a fun thread not one of the nature of your post. I will leave it that so as not to offend.

I am more of a feel guy when it comes to guitar players however the likes of Mick Taylor, Tommy Bolin, Steve Stevens, Duanne Allman and Jeff Beck are the rare combination of both. Big fan of all of them.

I could spend hours talking about the likes of Hubert Sumlin and Ted Turner however, your post soured my interest in this thread and this conversation.

Bottom line make sure you know who you are talking too and what their actual knowledge is.

Peace
WHOA! Slow down sir, of course you like who you like, nothing aggressive with my post at all. You surely know that I have dug and gotten into a lot of what you post, with a lot of that being new to me. I said I was just curious. Calm down brother, calm down.

Just like there are John songs and Paul songs, there are Jerry songs and Bob songs. I can't imagine John singing Yesterday or Jerry singing Promised Land or Greatest Story. It's just strange to hear Bob singing what is, IMO, the most Jerry of Jerry tunes (although I think it's tied with Loser).

I understand that only too well but if a band chooses to carry on it forces you to make a decision of bringing in a sound a like or a voice that is foreign. No win situation really as we both know.

Folks die and some bands call it a day and others care on. Tough pull if you do with the fan base.

I've flat out said I like everything from bro-country, to heavy, heavy metal. There hasn't been one song I've posted, that I don't like.

I understand that only too well but if a band chooses to carry on it forces you to make a decision of bringing in a sound a like or a voice that is foreign. No win situation really as we both know.

Folks die and some bands call it a day and others care on. Tough pull if you do with the fan base.

Yep. I'm usually in the camp that hopes bands will call it a day when an integral member leaves or dies. However, I can't blame the ones who don't for wanting to keep the torch going.

WHOA! Slow down sir, of course you like who you like, nothing aggressive with my post at all. You surely know that I have dug and gotten into a lot of what you post, with a lot of that being new to me. I said I was just curious. Calm down brother, calm down.

I am fine and love talking music. Its been my passion in life since I was about 10. Guitars and great vocals have always been my pull BUT the song in the end is what it is all about regardless of how good the players are.

John Mayer does nothing to ring my bell as a musician. A good player but nothing special.

Last edited:

I am fine and love talking music. Its been my passion in life since I was about 10. Guitars and great vocals have always been my pull BUT the song in the end is what it is all about regardless of how good the players are.

John Mayer does nothing to ring my bell as A musician. A good player but nothing special.
Fine RR, but man, don't take it personal when I ask a question. In the end, a song or band or musician is only as special as you feel it/they are. I think Dio was the "Best Ever" Metal singer..... I am not wrong about that, simply because it's my opinion, not a fact. You can tell me that Garth Brooks sucks, but you'd be wrong and right at the same time. Chill brother.

Fine RR, but man, don't take it personal when I ask a question. In the end, a song or band or musician is only as special as you feel it/they are. I think Dio was the "Best Ever" Metal singer..... I am not wrong about that, simply because it's my opinion, not a fact. You can tell me that Garth Brooks sucks, but you'd be wrong and right at the same time. Chill brother.

I do not have a problem with a question being asked however when its asked like you did I do.

Strummer and I have a give n take and I think we have learned from each other even though we come from different perspectives on about half the discussion or so while having a lot of overlap and do so with respect

Last edited:

I do not have a problem with a question being asked however when its asked like you did I do.

Strummer and I have a give n take and I think we have learned from each other even though we come from different perspectives on about have the discussion or so while having a lot of overlap and do so with respect

I don't think you've ever called me jealous for not liking Batio and, likewise, I don't think I've ever called you an idiot for not liking Exile on Main Street (although I should:Biggrin:).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back