• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Poor Bear Chandler

I'd take Chandler if he's interested. He may be the next Roy Enright, or the next Jed Bargen, or the next Justin Patton. Filling all those scholarships with quality people is going to be tough, so address the problem with Omaha recruiting even if the relationships aren't repaired for a while. It's a start, and I'm having a hard time seeing the downside for this young man if he's interested.

Why? Because a coach that can't get anyone to commit to him decided to start trying with a local kid? No, I'm not happy. There's a difference between doing your due diligence and what is happening now.

You can't accept this as a natural progression through a recruiting board? Most of those I speak with who are following the Metro didn't see much of a 'wow factor' from Chandler, but thought he could be a functional option if we had roster changes or missed on higher rated players, so the kid decided on NM. I'll point out that one of our big men targets from two years ago chose NM over us, and spent the year barely getting minutes. So either NM is a little better than we are assuming, or Miles and gang struggle identifying talent.

But back to Chandler. I agree he's a project at best. He could be a contributor in 2-3 years. But the need for his position is now, so our looking for someone a little more 'B1G ready' made sense. Local or not, it's basketball. Basketball is much harder to use roster spots on developmental players unless that's the model you create, like Wiscy. I didn't have any issue with our not offering Chandler initially, I don't have an issue offering him now with our roster changes, and I certainly wouldn't question him choosing WSU over the Huskers either. WSU has a far more nationally recognized and respected program. They were a top topic in the NCAAs again this year. They are a very good basketball school, and if I'm coming out of high school today, and I'm getting offers from both schools, I'm probably leaning toward WSU, and I'd be a legacy recruit at Nebraska. Trust me, playing for a proven winner, for a program that has a great shot at getting to the dance and playing a few rounds, if you are a serious player, that's very compelling.

You can't accept this as a natural progression through a recruiting board? Most of those I speak with who are following the Metro didn't see much of a 'wow factor' from Chandler, but thought he could be a functional option if we had roster changes or missed on higher rated players, so the kid decided on NM. I'll point out that one of our big men targets from two years ago chose NM over us, and spent the year barely getting minutes. So either NM is a little better than we are assuming, or Miles and gang struggle identifying talent.

But back to Chandler. I agree he's a project at best. He could be a contributor in 2-3 years. But the need for his position is now, so our looking for someone a little more 'B1G ready' made sense. Local or not, it's basketball. Basketball is much harder to use roster spots on developmental players unless that's the model you create, like Wiscy. I didn't have any issue with our not offering Chandler initially, I don't have an issue offering him now with our roster changes, and I certainly wouldn't question him choosing WSU over the Huskers either. WSU has a far more nationally recognized and respected program. They were a top topic in the NCAAs again this year. They are a very good basketball school, and if I'm coming out of high school today, and I'm getting offers from both schools, I'm probably leaning toward WSU, and I'd be a legacy recruit at Nebraska. Trust me, playing for a proven winner, for a program that has a great shot at getting to the dance and playing a few rounds, if you are a serious player, that's very compelling.
How is it a natural progression thru a recruiting board when Miles didn't even contact him before he committed to New Mexico and was offered by Wichita State? Literally the first contact Nebraska had with him was in April. Either he was on their board and they never talked to him, not once. Or he wasn't on their board and they ignored him even tho he was one of only a few kids going D1 from the state. You tell me what's worse.

Like you said, I have no issue with us not offering Chandler, Hollins-Johnson, Patton, Thomas, Thurman, Daum, whoever from Nebraska you want to put in there. I have a problem with the totality of the situation and an assistant coach leaving because of the recruiting philosophy. Us having zero Nebraska kids on scholarship, yet getting drilled by our in-state rival every year Miles has been here when they started 2 guys from a city that our coach told his assistants not to recruit. I have a problem with us being bottom 1/3 of the conference every year but 1 with kids that jump ship when things don't go right because they have no ties here.

You can try to fluff it up that it's a "natural progression thru a recruiting board" but that would mean our recruiting philosophy was dependent on coaches being fired and kids getting released from their LOI. That being said, you may be right, that may be Miles' philosophy and that's why we are so bad. But no successful program does things the way we are doing them right now. And barely any player is giving Miles the time of day except local kids.

Last edited:
How is it a natural progression thru a recruiting board when Miles didn't even contact him before he committed to New Mexico and was offered by Wichita State? Literally the first contact Nebraska had with him was in April. Either he was on their board and they never talked to him, not once. Or he wasn't on their board and they ignored him even tho he was one of only a few kids going D1 from the state. You tell me what's worse.

Like you said, I have no issue with us not offering Chandler, Hollins-Johnson, Patton, Thomas, Thurman, Daum, whoever from Nebraska you want to put in there. I have a problem with the totality of the situation and an assistant coach leaving because of the recruiting philosophy. Us having zero Nebraska kids on scholarship, yet getting drilled by our in-state rival every year Miles has been here when they started 2 guys from a city that our coach told his assistants not to recruit. I have a problem with us being bottom 1/3 of the conference every year but 1 with kids that jump ship when things don't go right because they have no ties here.

You can try to fluff it up that it's a "natural progression thru a recruiting board" but that would mean our recruiting philosophy was dependent on coaches being fired and kids getting released from their LOI. That being said, you may be right, that may be Miles' philosophy and that's why we are so bad. But no successful program does things the way we are doing them right now. And barely any player is giving Miles the time of day except local kids.

So you think a player actually feels better when a coach reaches out to them and never has a serious discussion about an offer? Wow, maybe that was something important to you, but I sure never felt a connection or warm fuzzy when I got some courtesy call or letter. If you think the staff needs to do more locally, I agree completely, ignoring players because you had an issue previously with a coach or player is petty. But even if he had been focusing on the locals, suggesting he should have been in constant communication (with no real substance) with a player that was obviously not even close to the top of their board is nitpicking.

I don't like our success level. I was really impressed the first part of the year with how scrappy we played against some pretty good competition, and some of the conference wins were really a positive for the program and showed a real improvement in our talent level over prior years. But the collapse, at the level it happened, is inexcusable. The loss of the players, key players, is inexcusable. Of course I think we should look at local talent when it fits our current model, and creating a relationship with local coaches is the obligation of every head coach. But even if we had the relationship, and if the coaches had at one time spoken to Chandler, I don't see him feeling the love and running back into the arms of the Husker basketball program. He was looking at NM, who made him feel very wanted under Neal, and WSU, who is a no brainer if they would want him still. Drake, yes, I'd be bummed if he picked them, and that would be a poor competitive decision and definitely be an extended middle finger to Miles.

Personally, if I were a little hard up for offers and wasn't a huge Miles fan, I might not let that hinder me taking a good look at Nebraska. I seriously don't see him making it to next year. And if that rings true, I'll be incredibly disappointed SE didn't make the decision during this exodus.

Miles ignores local talent, bans assistant coaches from recruiting Omaha, has too high of staff turn over, has too high of player turnover, Whichita State is drooling over Chandler, yada, yada, yada. This has all been talked about for months. I don't think there is a single person here who is happy about the state of Nebraska basketball. There may be a few over at HHC, but certainly not here.

Chandler committing to Nebraska wouldn't throw Miles a life preserver. I doubt Chandler even logs a minute of PT under Miles as head coach. If he is logging minutes next year, then it's not a life preserver, it's a concrete block because Chandler isn't even close to being ready to play at this level.

If Chandler committed to Nebraska, and that's a big if, there is a pretty good chance that he would redshirt and play four years for a new coach. That might not be so bad for him or his family. Then we would have that local player to root for playing under a new coach...you're wildest dreams would come true, ***.

So you think a player actually feels better when a coach reaches out to them and never has a serious discussion about an offer? Wow, maybe that was something important to you, but I sure never felt a connection or warm fuzzy when I got some courtesy call or letter. If you think the staff needs to do more locally, I agree completely, ignoring players because you had an issue previously with a coach or player is petty. But even if he had been focusing on the locals, suggesting he should have been in constant communication (with no real substance) with a player that was obviously not even close to the top of their board is nitpicking.

I don't like our success level. I was really impressed the first part of the year with how scrappy we played against some pretty good competition, and some of the conference wins were really a positive for the program and showed a real improvement in our talent level over prior years. But the collapse, at the level it happened, is inexcusable. The loss of the players, key players, is inexcusable. Of course I think we should look at local talent when it fits our current model, and creating a relationship with local coaches is the obligation of every head coach. But even if we had the relationship, and if the coaches had at one time spoken to Chandler, I don't see him feeling the love and running back into the arms of the Husker basketball program. He was looking at NM, who made him feel very wanted under Neal, and WSU, who is a no brainer if they would want him still. Drake, yes, I'd be bummed if he picked them, and that would be a poor competitive decision and definitely be an extended middle finger to Miles.

Personally, if I were a little hard up for offers and wasn't a huge Miles fan, I might not let that hinder me taking a good look at Nebraska. I seriously don't see him making it to next year. And if that rings true, I'll be incredibly disappointed SE didn't make the decision during this exodus.
I think the players and coaches in the Omaha community would absolutely feel better about the Miles situation if they didn't use phrases like "I don't even know if Nebraska knows he exists" in regard to players in state. To say you didn't feel warm and fuzzy when you got a courtesy call or letter may be true, but I promise you every kid now-a-days knows when they aren't being recruited by the home state school and when better programs are giving them attention, they talk in the community. Again, it's not about this one situation, it's about him never talking to Patton or Thomas, it's about him never talking to Chandler until poop hit the fan.

Chandler is being pushed by Wichita State to come to prep school down there (like what Arizona did with Pinder, kind of) and commit to them later because i'm not sure what room they have left. But the bottom line is this is about Miles, and local coaches are taking it as a slap in the face that he now is having Aguir Agau come down to practices and reaching out to Chandler now that no one is listening to him. I mean, Chang from Papillion has an offer from us but he will commit somewhere before the November signing period and he would be a moron to sign with Nebraska when Miles future is in jeopardy.

Miles ignores local talent, bans assistant coaches from recruiting Omaha, has too high of staff turn over, has too high of player turnover, Whichita State is drooling over Chandler, yada, yada, yada. This has all been talked about for months. I don't think there is a single person here who is happy about the state of Nebraska basketball. There may be a few over at HHC, but certainly not here.

Chandler committing to Nebraska wouldn't throw Miles a life preserver. I doubt Chandler even logs a minute of PT under Miles as head coach. If he is logging minutes next year, then it's not a life preserver, it's a concrete block because Chandler isn't even close to being ready to play at this level.

If Chandler committed to Nebraska, and that's a big if, there is a pretty good chance that he would redshirt and play four years for a new coach. That might not be so bad for him or his family. Then we would have that local player to root for playing under a new coach...you're wildest dreams would come true, ***.
Don't come at me like that. My wildest dreams are actually a tournament basketball team, something that I don't expect that often, so you conveniently miss the point as always. The point of not having local talent on our team is when we get blown out by people with Omaha players and we are still terrible.

In regard to this forum, your skewed view of things have made my posts sail completely over your head, or you choose to not comprehend what i'm actually saying. "Let's not fire Miles and blow up the roster!" Whoops. You couldn't have been more wrong in regard to this guy and your backpedaling could earn you a spot in our defensive backfield. We are hosting a 3ppg Winthrop transfer and an Ivy League guy that has blown his knee out twice on visits coming up. It's embarrassing what he's doing now, even for Nebraska basketball.

Last edited:
Don't come at me like that. My wildest dreams are actually a tournament basketball team, something that I don't expect that often, so you conveniently miss the point as always. The point of not having local talent on our team is when we get blown out by people with Omaha players and we are still terrible.

In regard to this forum, your skewed view of things have made my posts sail completely over your head, or you choose to not comprehend what i'm actually saying. "Let's not fire Miles and blow up the roster!" Whoops. You couldn't have been more wrong in regard to this guy and your backpedaling could earn you a spot in our defensive backfield. We are hosting a 3ppg Winthrop transfer and an Ivy League guy that has blown his knee out twice on visits coming up. It's embarrassing what he's doing now, even for Nebraska basketball.

I was behind not letting Miles go for that very reason, that was before we completely tanked the last few weeks though. I've been quite vocal about firing Miles since before the regular season even ended. Had we finished the season strong, the kids may have bought in and our attrition might have been normal, not an exodus. Situations change.

It's unfortunate that you took my post to be condescending. Upon reading it again, I can see how it may have come across as that a little. I assure you, it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:

I was behind not letting Miles go for that very reason, that was before we completely tanked the last few weeks though. I've been quite vocal about firing Miles since before the regular season even ended. Had we finished the season strong, the kids may have bought in and our attrition might have been normal, not an exodus. Situations change.

It's unfortunate that you took my post to be condescending. Upon reading it again, I can see how it may have come across as that a little. I assure you, it wasn't meant to be.
Gotcha... I probably overreacted anyway. Just so over it with him.

Gotcha... I probably overreacted anyway. Just so over it with him.

Now you two kiss.

You wouldn't want a kid Wichita State wants? That's interesting.

That is not what you asked.

You wanted to know if WS having the inside track did anything for me. Of course not. If he is a player that is worth having I want the Huskers to have the inside track. Stop reading things into what the answer is, I answered YOUR question.

So... take it as passionate fan base arguing which is a step up from fan apathy. The statement "no AD will get fired for basketball at Nebraska" rings true. The only thing that's a constant in the days since Danny Nee is the fans. I blame them. Seriously, I have been a fan of the team no matter what since I first went to a game against Creighton. I am getting to the point where I blame me for coming back and being a fan of mediocrity. Thanks a lot, me. You ruined my favorite team.

Last edited:

I think the players and coaches in the Omaha community would absolutely feel better about the Miles situation if they didn't use phrases like "I don't even know if Nebraska knows he exists" in regard to players in state. To say you didn't feel warm and fuzzy when you got a courtesy call or letter may be true, but I promise you every kid now-a-days knows when they aren't being recruited by the home state school and when better programs are giving them attention, they talk in the community. Again, it's not about this one situation, it's about him never talking to Patton or Thomas, it's about him never talking to Chandler until poop hit the fan.

I guess I'm surprised you think this is unique to this staff. I fully recall Cipriano and Iba regularly ignoring the locals for a shot at what they felt were greater talents in other states. All Staters who went on to sign with NMSU, SMU, Marquette, good players who got little more than a courtesy call. Nee also blew off locals with notable frequency. Then you had a guy like Collier, who probably to a fault hoped to populate his roster with locals, only to be known for a constant lack of talent to compete in a P5 conference.

I get it, I like seeing locals get a look. But in order to make the really work, you need to commit to a system like Wiscy and Iowa, both of which have better recruiting areas to pull talent from, both of which have far greater program recognition. If that's the plan, then we need to pull a strong assistant, similar to what Northwestern did, and give the guy 6 years to develop relationships and build a program from the ground up. It's a commitment few are willing to make because the fan base can slip into apathy during the growing pains.

Chandler is being pushed by Wichita State to come to prep school down there (like what Arizona did with Pinder, kind of) and commit to them later because i'm not sure what room they have left. But the bottom line is this is about Miles, and local coaches are taking it as a slap in the face that he now is having Aguir Agau come down to practices and reaching out to Chandler now that no one is listening to him. I mean, Chang from Papillion has an offer from us but he will commit somewhere before the November signing period and he would be a moron to sign with Nebraska when Miles future is in jeopardy.

Chandler is being pushed to the prep school more because he simply isn't a surefire D1 prospect than not having room for him. He has potential, he has some skills, but he has just as many question marks in his game that need to get ironed out in order to be a guy that is going to be a top 7-8 man rotation. That's the benchmark of most coaches I know; is a guy going to be in the rotation? Depth is built on those who don't quite make that mark. You don't look to toss a scholarship to someone you think is a reach and would be a surprise if they get in the rotation, unless you are in the weeds...like Miles.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back