• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

UConn streak ends

I normally don't watch Women's basketball, but when I do, I watch the Mississippi State Bulldogs knock off the UConn women's team. 111 and 1.....WOW!

That was fun to watch. And, I happened upon the game by chance, didn't even know it was on, just flicking channels.
I saw the score scroll at the bottom early in the game and MSU was up by around 9. I turned it and watched a little and MSU extended their lead to 16 but then UConn came back to within 6 and I figured they would end up winning. Had some things to do and was going to check back but forgot about it until I saw your thread.

Last edited:

UCONN coach after the game was great. Best losing coach interview I ever witnessed. He lost very gracefully and was very objective about it.

With the game tied, UCONN could have held the ball for the last shot, but a UCONN player brain-farted and drove to the basket to score with 14 seconds left. She failed, and gave MSU a chance for the last shot with 12.5 seconds remaining. And of course MSU scores to win at the buzzer.

When asked about it, UCONN coach said, "We had a player who wanted to make a play and she lost her patience. God bless her." We had a team that all season long played with more maturity than their age and experience warranted, and today they were not able to do that. I am proud of them and give credit to MSU for playing better than we did. I know what the MSU locker room is like right now because we have had more than our fair share of those experiences."

Great perspective.

He smiled when the buzzer beater beat him. When asked about it, he said "It was a very difficult shot and of course it had to go in. I guess it was time for us to experience what we had made so many others experience. I knew we were going to lose eventually. Not a matter of if we will lose, just a matter of when. I am actually shocked that it took this long to happen."

Last edited:
After watching Miss. St. take down Baylor I knew that UConn would have their hands full with them. This wasn't as dominating a UConn team as the point differential for the season may have indicated and I think the Huskies would have been well served by losing a game or two in the regular season to burst the pressure bubble a little.

UCONN coach after the game was great. Best losing coach interview I ever witnessed. He lost very gracefully and was very objective about it.

With the game tied, UCONN could have held the ball for the last shot, but a UCONN player brain-farted and drove to the basket to score with 14 seconds left. She failed, and gave MSU a chance for the last shot with 12.5 seconds remaining. And of course MSU scores to win at the buzzer.

When asked about it, UCONN coach said, "We had a player who wanted to make a play and she lost her patience. God bless her." We had a team that all season long played with more maturity than their age and experience warranted, and today they were not able to do that. I am proud of them and give credit to MSU for playing better than we did. I know what the MSU locker room is like right now because we have had more than our fair share of those experiences."

Great perspective.

He smiled when the buzzer beater beat him. When asked about it, he said "It was a very difficult shot and of course it had to go in. I guess it was time for us to experience what we had made so many others experience. I knew we were going to lose eventually. Not a matter of if we will lose, just a matter of when. I am actually shocked that it took this long to happen."

Geno is one of the all-time greatest coaches regardless of sport or gender.

Great perspective.

Agree that he was very gracious in defeat. Classy. But lets face it, its easy to be that way when you have had the success he has. Thats not to say everyone would react the same in that situation.

After watching Miss. St. take down Baylor I knew that UConn would have their hands full with them. This wasn't as dominating a UConn team as the point differential for the season may have indicated and I think the Huskies would have been well served by losing a game or two in the regular season to burst the pressure bubble a little.

Agree. Great coaching took this team to an unbeaten record this year. They did not have the dominate players they normally have.

Agree that he was very gracious in defeat. Classy. But lets face it, its easy to be that way when you have had the success he has. Thats not to say everyone would react the same in that situation.

People used to say the same thing about NU fans. They still can even after the downturn of the past 15-20 years.

People used to say the same thing about NU fans. They still can even after the downturn of the past 15-20 years.
It was also true of Husker fans. I think its also telling how many act when things aren't going so well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back