• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NCAA Individual Wrestling Finals Tonight

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
7 PM Central, 18 March on ESPN. What a great event. About 10 matches. In just 6 minutes you get to see someone experience the thrill of victory and another the agony of defeat. See it live in St. Louis.

Penn State is way in front in the team standings. They are going for their 6th NCAA team title in 7 years. Penn State advanced 5 wrestlers to yesterday's semi-final round and today they have 5 guys in the finals.

UNL has a chance to finish in the top ten.

Last edited:

As a fan and a wrestling coach. I could not agree more. Wrestling is awesome.

I wrestled for 3 years. 6 minutes on the mat was the most exhausting thing I ever knew. I got tired of always trying to make weight. I guess liked to eat more than I liked to wrestle.

So all five of the Penn State finalists won yesterday. 4th time in history that a team had 5 NCAA individual champions. Dan Gable won a lot of Championships as Iowa's HC. The Penn State coach might catch him one day. He already has 6.

Jordan Burroughs was there. They talked to him. He is 28 Years old and he plans to keep wrestling.

I wrestled for 3 years. 6 minutes on the mat was the most exhausting thing I ever knew. I got tired of always trying to make weight. I guess liked to eat more than I liked to wrestle.

So all five of the Penn State finalists won yesterday. 4th time in history that a team had 5 NCAA individual champions. Dan Gable won a lot of Championships as Iowa's HC. The Penn State coach might catch him one day. He already has 6.

Jordan Burroughs was there. They talked to him. He is 28 Years old and he plans to keep wrestling.
Dan won ten in a row. A lot of catching up to do.

I was glad to see SC native Dudley from Irmo come back and Pin the Iowa wrestler [3rd seed]ranked over him after beating the fourth seed to get a Third place finish. I wish Manning had the success that PSU is having.

I was glad to see SC native Dudley from Irmo come back and Pin the Iowa wrestler [3rd seed]ranked over him after beating the fourth seed to get a Third place finish. I wish Manning had the success that PSU is having.
Part of it is that Dan Gable was such a great wrestler in the 70s that everyone wanted to wrestle for him. It would have been like Michael Jordan coaching college the year he retired. The only wrestler that has come close to DG is Cael Sanderson. So all he has to do to recruit is walk in and say "Hi I am Cael will you wrestle for me?" Dan was the same way.

Nebraska finished 9th with four all americans. Big 10 dominated with six of the top ten teams, and eight of the top 13. Penn State returns all five of their national champions next year. Two will be sophomores, two will be Jrs. and only one a senior. Their highly rated 125 pounder (Freshman this year) was injured and missed the tournament. He may well start next year as the top rated in his weight class. Gable's record is safe for now but PSU is looking good to repeat.

Nebraska finished 9th with four all americans. Big 10 dominated with six of the top ten teams, and eight of the top 13. Penn State returns all five of their national champions next year. Two will be sophomores, two will be Jrs. and only one a senior. Their highly rated 125 pounder (Freshman this year) was injured and missed the tournament. He may well start next year as the top rated in his weight class. Gable's record is safe for now but PSU is looking good to repeat.

I believe two of PSU's champions were freshman. Only 4 people have won 4 NCAA championships (one is the PSU coach), so PSU now has two guys that have a chance to do it.

I like dynasties. PSU has one going right now.

I believe two of PSU's champions were freshman. Only 4 people have won 4 NCAA championships (one is the PSU coach), so PSU now has two guys that have a chance to do it.

I would also add that this dynasty is being built in the toughest conference in the world. What the B1G is to wrestling makes SEC football look like pop warner.

You are correct. One was a true freshman and one a redshirt. Two were sophomores and one a jr.

While the freshmen could win four it is incredibly hard to do. Just last night IMar from Ill. (a Jr. who won as Fr. and So. was beaten by one of PSUs freshmen in the finals. Very tough sport which can turn on small things during the course of a match, tournament, and season. Old saying in wrestling: there is always somebody new. Dan Gable, one of the greatest in US history won two NCAAs, sophomore and Jr. but lost his last match in the tournament as a senior. Only loss in college. Not eligible as a freshmen.

Would love to see Nebraska wrestling a more aggressive style like PSU. Truly seven minutes of hell (if you can last) when you step on the mat with them. They win with a lot of falls and tech falls.

NU has had very good recruiting team rankings but it seems there is some issue with getting them to the championship mat.
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_Rankings2016.html

Past D1CW NU Recruiting Rankings: 2013 #8, 2012 #4, 2011 #2, 2010 #7, 2009 #4, 2008 #15

Team recruiting rankings:
2014: #6 -
Top Recruit: (149) #17 Tyler Berger-Prineville, OR
Recruiting Class: (141) #21 Hayden Tuma-Boise, ID; (197) #45 Derek White-Edmond, OK; (141) #74 Colton Adams-Scottsbluff, NE; (157) #85 Nick Bennett-Novi, MI; (165) UR Dustin Williams-Gardner, KS

2015:
17) Nebraska

Top Recruit: (125) #50 Kris Williams--Harvey, ILL
Recruiting Class: (184) #71 Jacob Armstrong--Salem Hills, UT; (285) #97 Patrick Grayson--Stafford, VA; (141) NR Jordan Shearer--Fargo, ND

2016:
4) Nebraska

Top Recruit: (141) #6 Chad Red--New Palestine, IN
Recruiting Class: (184) #9 Beau Breske--Hartford, WI; (197) #30 Eric Schultz--Tinley Park, ILL; (184) #99 Taylor Venz--Farmington, MN; (165) #126 Johnny Blankenship--Platte Co., MO; (149) #145 Luke Weber--Forsyth, MT

For PSU:
2016: #2) Penn State

Top Recruit: (165) #1 Mark Hall--Apple Valley, MN
Recruiting Class: (125) #3 Nick Suriano--Paramus, NJ; (157) #10 Mason Manville--Lorton, VA; (197) #88 AJ Nevills--Clovis, CA

Past D1CW Recruiting Rankings: 2015 #21, 2014 #1, 2013 #7, 2012 #17, 2011 #4, 2010 #2, 2009 #8, 2008 NR

It don't look like that they have out recruited NU using the above info; must be something in the water...o_O

Last edited:

State Tournament results for wrestlers who have signed or committed to NU for the Class of 2016:

Nebraska: Mike Labriola (Bethlehem Catholic)--Pennsylvania AAA State Champ @ 170
Nebraska: Trevor Nichelson (Ashland-Greenwood)--Nebraska Class B State 3rd Place @ 182
Nebraska: Jason Renteria (Oak Park-River Forest)--Illinois 3A State Champ @ 132
Nebraska: Tucker Sjomeling (Delano)--Minnesota AA State Champ @ 132
Nebraska: Colton Wolfe (Columbus)--Nebraska Class A State Champ @ 195 [3 time state champ]
Nebraska: Wyatt Wriedt (North Scott)--Iowa 3A State Champ @ 220

Last edited:

Recruiting update;
08-29-16 Nebraska Jason Renteria Oak Park River Forest IL 141/149
08-30-16 Nebraska Tucker Sjomeling Delano MN 133/141
04-01-17 Nebraska Colton Wolfe Columbus NE 197
10-30-15 Nebraska Michael Labriola Bethlehem Catholic PA 165/174
09-03-16 Nebraska Wyatt Wriedt North Scott IA 285
11-16-16 Nebraska Trevor Nichelson Ashland-Greenwood NE 197

Two are on the All Sr HS Team:
First Team:
170: Mikey Labriola of Bethlehem Catholic, Pa.
http://news.theopenmat.com/high-school-wrestling/2017-tom-senior-high-school-wrestling-team/62672

When you end your career, as Labriola did, with more wins than anyone in the history of a storied program like Bethlehem Catholic, you’ve done something truly remarkable. Add two Pennsylvania state titles and it isn’t hard to figure out why Labriola sits atop the national rankings at 170. The future Nebraska Cornhusker has continued to prove he is the best around, recently taking out third-ranked Kaleb Romero (Mechanicsburg, OH), 3-2, in the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic.

Third Team:
132: Jason Renteria of Oak Park River Forest, Ill.

Nebraskan but not a NU recruit [Signed with Iowa Western]:
Second Team:
113: Joseph Harrison of Omaha-Burke, Neb.

More on Wolf and Gowin:
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_1e0201c3-04de-5b96-8407-5cf4fe3636ab.html

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back