• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ranking Every Power 5 Job

I know that Nebraska never gets a Saban, Meyers, or Harbaugh. But we should be able to get someone in the next tier if you pay handsomely. I like Riley. But if you wanna play with the big boys you'd better go for a big boy coach.

A vast majority of the time, P5 programs are getting their coach from the following ranks: G5 head coaches, P5 coordinators and failed NFL coaches. It's not about pay. It's more about luck and timing. NU could have lured Fuente or Herman to Lincoln in 2014 for less money than Riley.

The rub is you don't know if these guys are "big boy coaches" until a few years later. For every Peterson, there are a whole bunch of Dan Hawkins and Dave Doerens.

That's fan support. Not how attractive the job is to coaching candidates. Fan support is second to none. Facilities are top ten in the country. But we are remote and practically irrelevant these days. Even with a top recruiting staff there's a limit to the talent that can be attracted. A coach knows that his success is largely dependent on the talent he can bring in. Win the Big Ten West 2 out of every 3 years and I'll agree to a top 15 ranking.
Bull****. This is a weak, defeatist mentality. Your either good or you aren't. Great people overcome adversity.

A vast majority of the time, P5 programs are getting their coach from the following ranks: G5 head coaches, P5 coordinators and failed NFL coaches. It's not about pay. It's more about luck and timing. NU could have lured Fuente or Herman to Lincoln in 2014 for less money than Riley.

The rub is you don't know if these guys are "big boy coaches" until a few years later. For every Peterson, there are a whole bunch of Dan Hawkins and Dave Doerens.
agreed

Bull****. This is a weak, defeatist mentality. Your either good or you aren't. Great people overcome adversity.
I don't believe I'm defeatist at all. But you do hafta deal with reality so some extent. For example FHCBP didn't feel like he could get great recruits in Lincoln so he didn't really try with many of them. I think Riley has it right. Shoot for the moon and once in a while you will be successful. But let's not pretend we don't have a significant disadvantage to schools in Cali, Ohio, Texas, and much of the south. It's in no way a level playing field. Great tradition, fans, and facilities help but still at a disadvantage. If this weren't the case we'd be in the top ten every year. Unless you just believe we've had poor coaching. In that case I'd agree.

I don't believe I'm defeatist at all. But you do hafta deal with reality so some extent. For example FHCBP didn't feel like he could get great recruits in Lincoln so he didn't really try with many of them. I think Riley has it right. Shoot for the moon and once in a while you will be successful. But let's not pretend we don't have a significant disadvantage to schools in Cali, Ohio, Texas, and much of the south. It's in no way a level playing field. Great tradition, fans, and facilities help but still at a disadvantage. If this weren't the case we'd be in the top ten every year. Unless you just believe we've had poor coaching. In that case I'd agree.

This argument only goes so far with me. Look at Ohio State's recruiting class. 15 highly ranked recruits from outside the state of Ohio. Yes they got a few from Ohio, more than we got from Nebraska, but it is not like they are getting all of their recruits in state.

Which is my whole point. Good coaches want to go recruiting hotbeds. The only way you get a Chris Petersen is to overpay him. And at least in the past Nebraska has tried to go on the cheap. Or at the most pay an average salary. Petersen might have reconsidered if you had paid him $2 million more than anyone else. And honestly it would've been money well spent.

And yes Nebraska is irrelevant at this time. We are the 3rd or 4th best team in the worst division in college football. That's the definition of irrelevant.
Living in BSU country I know a little about Chris Peterson. First he is a great coach and a first rate human being. But with that being said, he is not really motivated by money. He is a west coast great northwest guy. Grew up in norther California and has spent his whole life up here. Like the Dude said he could had any job he wanted and he wasn't coming to Nebraska.

Now BSU current coach Brian Harsin would be a good candidate. He was Peterson's oc back when they were really good.

I'm just tired of hearing the weak ass excuses about recruiting. Bo was a lazy ass recruiter. Damn good coach, but not a damn good recruiter and certainly not a staff to help him out. It can be done. It has been done. It'll get done again.

Start winning some damn ball games and see whom becomes interested. Everything is here. Must travel. Big ******* deal. 25 per will do just that. Damn good ones, if you win! The excuses just get old. Nebraska has been to the pinnacle, several times over. It's got more now than ever to offer. Just needs a dynamic, self thinking, driven, no nonsense type of individual to get it done. And please, don't come with the yeah buts, I'm not buying!!

We're most likely going to have to find a diamond-in-the-rough type of coach. Someone that is relatively inexperienced but shows promise. Then we're going to have to be patient while he figures some things out, and understand that progress is not always linear.

Once someone is here and experiencing success and true fan support, it will be hard for him to leave. When things are going well, there is no place like Nebraska. When things aren't going well, there is also no place like Nebraska.

We're most likely going to have to find a diamond-in-the-rough type of coach. Someone that is relatively inexperienced but shows promise. Then we're going to have to be patient while he figures some things out, and understand that progress is not always linear.

Once someone is here and experiencing success and true fan support, it will be hard for him to leave. When things are going well, there is no place like Nebraska. When things aren't going well, there is also no place like Nebraska.

I agree with your points. We'll have to wait and see with Riley; I'm encouraged by his reshuffling of the staff and think he's a great representative of the university, but I also have concerns based on lack of consistent results in his long coaching record, OSU or not. If he doesn't work out we'll likely need to take our chance on a diamond in the rough type coach, but I'm guessing that's still a 50/50 risk at best. Maybe we can find the next mediocre coach like Saban was at MSU and he can take us back to the promised land.

I'm just tired of hearing the weak ass excuses about recruiting. Bo was a lazy ass recruiter. Damn good coach, but not a damn good recruiter and certainly not a staff to help him out. It can be done. It has been done. It'll get done again.

Start winning some damn ball games and see whom becomes interested. Everything is here. Must travel. Big ******* deal. 25 per will do just that. Damn good ones, if you win! The excuses just get old. Nebraska has been to the pinnacle, several times over. It's got more now than ever to offer. Just needs a dynamic, self thinking, driven, no nonsense type of individual to get it done. And please, don't come with the yeah buts, I'm not buying!!
I totally agree with you. I honestly think Bo intended to move on pretty quickly and got lazy with the recruiting. Then when the jobs in the SEC that he wanted didn't come through he was like oh crap.

Don't forget Rich Rodriguez, Charlie Weiss, Brady Hoke...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back