• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ranking Every Power 5 Job

Pac 12
USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, & Stanford
Big 12
Texas & Okahoma
Big Ten
OSU, Michigan, Penn St.,
ACC
Florida St, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame
SEC
Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia

That puts Nebraska at 22. What about teams like Michigan St and Wisconsin? If it weren't for location and recent lack of success I believe Nebraska would be top 15.

Pac 12
USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, & Stanford
Big 12
Texas & Okahoma
Big Ten
OSU, Michigan, Penn St.,
ACC
Florida St, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame
SEC
Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia

That puts Nebraska at 22. What about teams like Michigan St and Wisconsin? If it weren't for location and recent lack of success I believe Nebraska would be top 15.

Agreed. In the first posting (teams 65 to 56), I put the over/under for Nebraska right at #22. I'd guess Michigan St. and Wiscy just below Nebraska - between 25 and 30 for both.

That's fan support. Not how attractive the job is to coaching candidates. Fan support is second to none. Facilities are top ten in the country. But we are remote and practically irrelevant these days. Even with a top recruiting staff there's a limit to the talent that can be attracted. A coach knows that his success is largely dependent on the talent he can bring in. Win the Big Ten West 2 out of every 3 years and I'll agree to a top 15 ranking.

I'm happy that we are finally starting to pay our assistants top money. But if you wanna be one of the big dogs you've gotta bring in a big dog coach. Meyers, Hairball, Saban etc. But these guys wouldn't even consider Nebraska unless you paid them $10 million a year. We need to get lucky and find the next big thing and then you hafta pay to keep them.

We should've thrown the whole bank at Chris Petersen here a few years ago. That's a quality coach. Missed opportunity.

That's fan support. Not how attractive the job is to coaching candidates. Fan support is second to none. Facilities are top ten in the country. But we are remote and practically irrelevant these days. Even with a top recruiting staff there's a limit to the talent that can be attracted. A coach knows that his success is largely dependent on the talent he can bring in. Win the Big Ten West 2 out of every 3 years and I'll agree to a top 15 ranking.

Irrelevant is a little harsh, but I agree that Lincoln's remote location is the key obstacle to attracting both coaches and players.

From a source I trust, NU did contact Chris Peterson through intermediaries in 2013. He wasn't interested. He was offered USC and UCLA (twice), and I'm guessing his agent has been contacted by dozens of teams' representatives over the years. He listened to the California schools but as I understand it, he was holding out for 2 jobs- Oregon or Washington.

Last edited:
I'm happy that we are finally starting to pay our assistants top money. But if you wanna be one of the big dogs you've gotta bring in a big dog coach. Meyers, Hairball, Saban etc. But these guys wouldn't even consider Nebraska unless you paid them $10 million a year. We need to get lucky and find the next big thing and then you hafta pay to keep them.

They wouldn't even consider it for $10 million. Texas offered Saban $100 million over 10 years and thousands of acres of land in the hill country. He didn't blink. The very best coaches want to get paid of course, but they also want to be in a location where they can win (ie, they can recruit) and where they have family and professional connections. Ideally, they get all 3 like Meyer and Harbaugh.

Irrelevant is a little harsh, but I agree that Lincoln's remote location is the key obstacle to attracting both coaches and players.

From a source I trust, NU did contact Chris Peterson through intermediaries in 2013. He wasn't interested. He was offered USC and UCLA (twice), and I'm guessing his agent has been contacted by dozens of teams' representatives over the years. He listened to the California schools but as I understand it, he was holding out for 2 jobs- Oregon or Washington.
Which is my whole point. Good coaches want to go recruiting hotbeds. The only way you get a Chris Petersen is to overpay him. And at least in the past Nebraska has tried to go on the cheap. Or at the most pay an average salary. Petersen might have reconsidered if you had paid him $2 million more than anyone else. And honestly it would've been money well spent.

And yes Nebraska is irrelevant at this time. We are the 3rd or 4th best team in the worst division in college football. That's the definition of irrelevant.

I know that Nebraska never gets a Saban, Meyers, or Harbaugh. But we should be able to get someone in the next tier if you pay handsomely. I like Riley. But if you wanna play with the big boys you'd better go for a big boy coach.

Which is my whole point. Good coaches want to go recruiting hotbeds. The only way you get a Chris Petersen is to overpay him. And at least in the past Nebraska has tried to go on the cheap. Or at the most pay an average salary. Petersen might have reconsidered if you had paid him $2 million more than anyone else. And honestly it would've been money well spent.

And yes Nebraska is irrelevant at this time. We are the 3rd or 4th best team in the worst division in college football. That's the definition of irrelevant.

IMO, even overpaying him wouldn't have lured Peterson to Lincoln. His knew he could parlay his track record at Boise into one of his two dream jobs. I'm not going to argue about the definition of relevance. It's too subjective.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back