• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anton Gill done for season

JHudson

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
From the Athletic Dept.:

Knee Injury Sidelines Gill for Remainder of 2016-17 Season

Nebraska Men’s Basketball Coach Tim Miles announced Tuesday that Anton Gill will miss the remainder of the 2016-17 season after suffering a ruptured patella tendon in his right knee earlier this week.

Gill, a 6-foot-3 guard from Raleigh, N.C, suffered the injury during a team workout Sunday evening and test results Monday revealed the ruptured patella tendon. According to Nebraska Men’s Basketball Athletic Trainer R.J. Pietig, Gill will have surgery on Wednesday and the typical rehab for the injury is between 6-8 months.

Gill had played in all 12 games and made one start for the Huskers this season, averaging 3.8 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. He comes off a season-high 10-point effort against Southern on Dec. 20, and also had 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting in the win over Dayton at the Wooden Legacy on Nov. 24. Gill spent the first two seasons of his college career at Louisville before transferring to Nebraska.

Man....if it weren't for bad luck Nebraska basketball would have no luck at all. I know for a fact Gill is a better basketball player than he showed during the non-con. Nebraska needed quality minutes from him desperately. He was finally starting to play a bit better and then this happened. I feel bad for the guy.

While it hurts, there is plenty of depth on this team to overcome this. Horne, Taylor, and Roby will need to pick up the slack.

Man....if it weren't for bad luck Nebraska basketball would have no luck at all. I know for a fact Gill is a better basketball player than he showed during the non-con. Nebraska needed quality minutes from him desperately. He was finally starting to play a bit better and then this happened. I feel bad for the guy.

While it hurts, there is plenty of depth on this team to overcome this. Horne, Taylor, and Roby will need to pick up the slack.
I'm not as optimistic about the bold. I think we will be lucky to hit the 10 win plateau this year.

Not sure it hurts much but to say that's because there's "plenty of depth" is a big stretch.

Isiah Roby and Jeriah Horne aren't exactly chopped liver. They were pretty good recruits. It's not like we have Collier or Sadler depth. Or even the depth we had during Miles first couple of years. There is enough talent and depth here that losing Anton Gill shouldn't be an excuse to play bad basketball.

Isiah Roby and Jeriah Horne aren't exactly chopped liver. They were pretty good recruits. It's not like we have Collier or Sadler depth. Or even the depth we had during Miles first couple of years. There is enough talent and depth here that losing Anton Gill shouldn't be an excuse to play bad basketball.
We played some pretty bad basketball to get to that fabulous 5 - 6 record we have.

Well... we have a bunch of below average basketball player depth. That will be my bad basketball excuse.

I agree. Depth isn't the reason for the bad basketball.

Well... we have a bunch of below average basketball player depth. That will be my bad basketball excuse.

Mine is below average to poor coaching.

You can put the entire squad of Omaha all-stars that you think Miles missed on, add them to our roster, and we wouldn't be that much better. Patton and Thomas wouldn't be putting up huge numbers with the offensive concept and spacing issues we have. Arop probably wouldn't be able to even score.

You can put the entire squad of Omaha all-stars that you think Miles missed on, add them to our roster, and we wouldn't be that much better. Patton and Thomas wouldn't be putting up huge numbers with the offensive concept and spacing issues we have. Arop probably wouldn't be able to even score.
That's saying a mouthful....if Thomas and Patton couldn't make this team better then maybe a 6th year is a complete waste of time.

Watson my be a special PG....maybe it would be better to give the new coach a couple years with him....maybe a couple other guys that looked like good gets in recruiting blossom under a new system too?

I agree our coaching leaves a lot to be desired, but if a seven foot future first rounder wouldn't make the team better than why is Miles even here anymore? I'm not even talking Omaha misses, i'm just telling you that your thoughts we have a ton of depth is like when a 2-10 football team returns 19 starters. It's nothing to get excited about.

Last edited:

I don't know, what do you think Bilsker? Thomas and Patton are averaging 12 and 6 in Creighton's let it fly offense. I've only seen 3 of their games this year so you would have a better feel for this than I would.

Insert them both into the starting lineup a team Nebraska, Thomas at the 3, Patton at the 5. Yeah, we would be better. I guess my thought that it isn't not a zero sum game. I don't think they would be the same players they are at Creighton. Patton may snag a few more boards at NU but his scoring would drop significantly. So would KT's. How many points does Patton get a game on the pick and roll? Miles would ask him to score in different ways. Am I off base in thinking this?

Conversely, I don't think some of our players would be the same players in McDermott's offense. Webster's scoring might go down a little because he's not constantly attacking. I bet Watson and McVeigh are completely different players though.

Not only Bilsker, but *** and everyone else. If you had to put a percentage on Nebraska's problems with the current roster and staff, between coaching, inexperience, and talent, where would you put it? I'd say 70% coaching, 15% inexperience, 15% talent.

I could be wrong. All I know for sure is Miles better get this team playing well quickly.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back