1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Pregame Perspective: Eichorst firing supported

Although some question timing, nearly 90 percent back president and chancellor in decision

The Husker Nation has been profoundly divided on various issues lately, but the firing of Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst by President Hank Bounds and Chancellor Ronnie Green does not seem to be one of those issues.

For this week’s pregame survey, I went to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus to get 100 people to respond to this question:

“Do you agree or disagree that the University’s president and chancellor made the right decision to fire Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst this week?”

The response was decisive: 89 people agreed with Eichorst’s firing. There were 8 who disagreed, and 3 said they were unsure.

The demographic of my 100 people was younger than any of my previous Pregame Perspective surveys. I estimate that at least one-third of the respondents were in their late teens or early 20s, many of them UNL students. Many other respondents appeared to be parents of students or to have a connection with the university in addition to being a football fan.

Responses followed a similar theme.

“This was not just for football, but everything else (Nebraska’s performance in other sports) had accumlated toward this,” said a college-age man.

“There are extenuating circumstances we don’t know about,” said another young man. “If they made the decision, they must have had a valid reason. Hopefully it will build urgency into the staff.”

“I trust Ronnie and Hank,” another student-age respondent said. Her companion agreed. “There’s a lot behind the scenes we don’t know about,” he said. “We’ve got to trust their decision and hope it works out well in the long run.”

Other respondents used phrases like “Something had to be done,” “a wakeup call” and “it’s time for change.”

If there was uncertainty, it appeared to center around the timing of Eichorst’s firing — just three games into the football season.

“It was too early,” said a man who said he disagreed with the decision.

A longtime Husker fan, sportswriter and history buff, Tad Stryker started writing for this website in 2008. You can email him at tad.stryker@gmail.com

Rate This Article:
/5,