• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bubba Starling and baseball--A look at Zack Lee and Kyle Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerInOkieland

Heisman
15 Year Member
As I stated on the Baseball Board . . .

Prized LSU QB recruit Zack Lee signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers for $5.25 Million moments before the deadline. Lee had been considered nearly unsignable due to his committment to LSU. He was already on campus and practicing. His agreement reportedly specifies that he give up football. He was the 28th pick of this year's first round.

Meanwhile, Clemson QB Kyle Parker signed with the Colorado Rockies for about $1.4 Million. It is not yet known if he agreed to give up football or not but my guess is he will be allowed back to Clemson for his senior year. Parker was the 26th pick in the first round.

For perspective, Bubba Starling has been projected as the 42nd pick by Baseball America in next years' draft. Keep in mind that this is a very early projection that will likely change many times before next year. The 42nd pick would probably be a first round supplemental pick. Would somebody offer Bubba that kind of money (Lee money as opposed to Parker money)? My guess is they will have to if they want to sign him away from football. And if they do, it would be hard to blame him if he didn't turn them down.

Last edited:
If Bubba gets offered $5.25 MM... He should go... It has long been demonstrated that Football will be there if Baseball doesn't work out... I think the opposite is far less established...

IMO... even $1.4 MM needs to be given serious consideration... but it would be about the minimum level that should be considered... unless a kid really loves BB.

Last edited:

Starling should simply play it the same (intelligent) way that Lee did. Before even being drafted simply state that "anything shy of 5M will not get me to give up my dream of playing football and baseball at the college level for Nebraska." If he gets draft in the 1st round and manages to get the 5M offered he should take it. If he doesn't get it, what a great opportunity to play both sports for the Huskers. I think Lee honestly had intended to play football and baseball at LSU, which is why most teams avoided drafting him early in the 1st round. Tough to tell anyone not to take 5M...

ESPN radio stated that Clemson QB Kyle Parker would play for the Tigers this season. I guess I am surprised that a MLB team would risk that.

ESPN radio stated that Clemson QB Kyle Parker would play for the Tigers this season. I guess I am surprised that a MLB team would risk that.

He had been quoted as saying that he had already given his word to Clemson that he was coming back. If the Rockies didn't agree, he wouldn't sign. Not that bad a deal. He will be ready by Spring Training and done with football at that point. Meanwhile, club covers by taking out an insurance policy. Not that bad all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back