• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Its my belief that Braylon Heard wil be "N".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just out of curiousity... Do we know how many times he has taken it so far? And what score does he need?

Good luck Braylon! Husker Nation is pulling for you and you have all of our support both on and off the field!

Is there a set score that one much achieve, and it is the same for all, or does the target score move dependent upon your GPA or class rank? If it is same for all, what is the necessary score?

Thanks. Apparently the ACT scoring system has changed since I took it. Actually, I think it was discussed in a thread here before, but I will have to look up the old to new score comparison to know how difficult the scores might be to achieve.
It hasn't. It is just that the NCAA uses the sum of the four sections vs. average of the four sections. It gets around rounding issues, I would guess.

I think it is safe to say he had some pretty poor grades and probably needs to be in the high teens if not low 20's.

If you have terrible grades (2.000) you need a 21.5 average (86). Which is about average of all test takers. And a 60 (15.0 average) is really a very poor score (I got a 15 random guessing on one section - hey UNL was open admissions and I couldn't have cared less) is all that is required at 2.700 level.

Here is how I see it
ACT
15 (60) 14% at or below
16 (64) 20%
17 (68) 26%
18 (72) 33%
19 (76) 40%
20 (80) 48%
21 (84) 55%
22 (88) 62%

Last edited:

It hasn't. It is just that the NCAA uses the sum of the four sections vs. average of the four sections. It gets around rounding issues, I would guess.

I think it is safe to say he had some pretty poor grades and probably needs to be in the high teens if not low 20's.

If you have terrible grades (2.000) you need a 21.5 average (86). Which is about average of all test takers. And a 60 (15.0 average) is really a very poor score (I got a 15 random guessing on one section - hey UNL was open admissions and I couldn't have cared less) is all that is required at 2.700 level.

Here is how I see it
ACT
15 (60) 14% at or below
16 (64) 20%
17 (68) 26%
18 (72) 33%
19 (76) 40%
20 (80) 48%
21 (84) 55%
22 (88) 62%

Thanks. Summation methodology makes more sense to me than averaging, due to the rounding issue as you point out.

See, here's my thing. Its a fact that MOST people see a 3-4 point jump between their first and second test, just because you're more comfortable the second time. Beyond that? Its far more difficult to alter your score. Not impossible, but tough.

Best of luck to Braylon.

See, here's my thing. Its a fact that MOST people see a 3-4 point jump between their first and second test, just because you're more comfortable the second time. Beyond that? Its far more difficult to alter your score. Not impossible, but tough.

Best of luck to Braylon.
I would take that he isn't going JUCO to mean that the coaches think he has a very real chance to make it... I take it you mean three to four percentile... Now jumping from 15 to 19 just on not being nervous isn't likely... but buckling down and working hard on the basics plus being less nervous and better at test taking strategies, you could probably do a 15 to 19 improvement pretty easily... but getting the next increments gets progressively harder... Still, I would guess he just needs a point or two (four to eight) to qualify and the coaches must think it realistic that he can do it.

My kids tended to hit the exact same score when they retook. They were on the higher end - so improvement is tougher, but they didn't go after it with the intensity that I would have liked... I do know of some kids who were able to jump from say a 1350 to 1450 with intense tutoring even though they were already well prepared and experienced test takers...

This makes him a Gray shirt, if he qualifies... not necessarily a bad outcome for us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back