• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OWH-Lee Barfknecht: Separating fact, fiction in NU coach search

GoBigfRed

Varsity
20 Year Member
Nice article by Lee in today's World Herald. Includes some historical information with our prior coaching searches, including the reminder of how Nee originally wanted a different job and reminds me of the feeling he had to many when he was here that he was perpetually looking for another job.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201203...ht-separating-fact-fiction-in-nu-coach-search

It is Day Nine of Nebraska's search for a men's basketball coach, and the silence has grown deafening.

Husker Athletic Director Tom Osborne and Executive Associate A.D. Marc Boehm — four days after firing Doc Sadler — halted comment on the process, leaving a vacuum the size of the World Wide Web.

My, doesn't that lead to the spread of some valuable "information."

Though Osborne, 75, is from the "loose lips sink ships" generation, media blackouts do little but allow rumor and trash to fill the Web and airwaves. Control the message, or it controls you.

Nebraska fans aren't alone in their interest to know the identity of Sadler's successor.

"Who are they going to get?" Kansas coach Bill Self asked when we crossed paths between press conferences at CenturyLink Center.

A lot of good information throughout the article and some of the things that are going on including the search firm being used. This tidbit further into the article about the search after Iba resigned.

In 1986, it took 13 days to replace Moe Iba, who walked off the floor after a first-round NCAA tournament game and handed his resignation to a Nebraska assistant athletic director. Iba was at odds at the time with A.D. Bob Devaney, plus attendance and fan interest were at record lows.

About a week into the search process, Danny Nee of Ohio removed his name from consideration.

Among those still in the candidate pool were Mike Montgomery of Montana, Jim Harrick of Pepperdine, Bob Donewald of Illinois State and Bob Wenzel of Jacksonville.

But Nee, who thought he was getting the Wichita State job, saw that go to Fogler.

So Nee called Devaney, asked to be reconsidered and was hired.

Article in link above.

Last edited:

That first quote is about as far as I got. I thought Lee was trying to create problems so I quit reading. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt so I will try and read his drivel but I just don't get very far.

Nice article by Lee in today's World Herald. Includes some historical information with our prior coaching searches, including the reminder of how Nee originally wanted a different job and reminds me of the feeling he had to many when he was here that he was perpetually looking for another job.

Funny you mention that. When I read that I immediately thought about the Rutgers job he thought he had. Seems danny liked to count his chickens before they were hatched.

That first quote is about as far as I got. I thought Lee was trying to create problems so I quit reading. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt so I will try and read his drivel but I just don't get very far.

A little sensitive are we?

What is the rush?

I don't think there is one. Or at least there shouldn't be.

I'm sure they'll find out this week if there's any reason for hope on Smart...which I would guess there wouldn't be.

If Dixon is a real possibility NU will have to wait until Pitt is done with the CBI.

etc. Most coaches they will be after are probably still playing but will be done soon.

A little sensitive are we?

I don't think so. I guess I would feel that our next coach is coming from a team that is either playing or just finished playing in the NCAA's or NIT. I would imagine that There really hasn't been a whole lot of time for Dr. Tom to really pursue anyone. I would assume that there is nothing to say at this time. I think Lee is trying to create something that isn't there. I tried to read his article and give him the benefit of the doubt.

A little sensitive would have been saying. "I can't stand Lee he is a tool and I never try to read his crap."

I just don't think the press needs to create something that may not be there.

Then you'd be completely without news during a coaching search -- in any sport. It's all only speculation until someone is hired -- and I enjoy and appreciate the speculation.

Last edited:

I would imagine that There really hasn't been a whole lot of time for Dr. Tom to really pursue anyone.

Actually, I suspect a lot of phone calls have been made. The head coaches may not have been contacted directly, but I bet their agents have been involved. As soon as their seasons are officially over, NU needs to be in a position to act quickly and to know who is interested and who isn't.

Then you'd be completely without news during a coaching search -- in any sport. It's all only speculation until someone is hired -- and I enjoy and appreciate the speculation.

To each their own. I don't.

My, doesn't that lead to the spread of some valuable "information." If there is no information to spread what is Tom suppose to do?

Though Osborne, 75, is from the "loose lips sink ships" generation, media blackouts do little but allow rumor and trash to fill the Web and airwaves. Control the message, or it controls you. Maybe Dr. Tom is trying to respect someone by trying to wait till the time is right. It doesn't help when the press is the one stoking the fire.

The silence totally makes sense. Whether Tom is old school or not, most of his applicants are playing in tourneys now. And if TO or Boehm put out feelers to a few coaches in the NCAA/NIT right now, and those coaches said "will talk after my season please", then they know TO will honor that and Do this "MEDIA BLACKOUT" I have been watchin tons of NCAA BBall the last week and have not heard one rumor or incinuation about "So and So being courted by Nebraska" when the tourney is over. Its just RESPECT. That darn old stubborn ole fashioned Tom Osbourne being repectful to other coaches, players, and their families in the NCAA and NITs .......Nooooooo!

Last edited:
I don't think so. I guess I would feel that our next coach is coming from a team that is either playing or just finished playing in the NCAA's or NIT. I would imagine that There really hasn't been a whole lot of time for Dr. Tom to really pursue anyone. I would assume that there is nothing to say at this time. I think Lee is trying to create something that isn't there. I tried to read his article and give him the benefit of the doubt.

A little sensitive would have been saying. "I can't stand Lee he is a tool and I never try to read his crap."

I think Lee is basically saying "it's going to take some time." Any reporter that covers a team is lying if they say they don't read message boards to get a pulse on what fans are thinking. This board is pretty so-so but i lurk over at HHC and they are pretty all over the coaching search and debating this guy v. that guy and "why are we talking to ___" or "why aren't we talking to ____". I think that's somewhat what Lee migh be referring to in the "fact/fiction" piece.

I think Lee is basically saying "it's going to take some time." Any reporter that covers a team is lying if they say they don't read message boards to get a pulse on what fans are thinking. This board is pretty so-so but i lurk over at HHC and they are pretty all over the coaching search and debating this guy v. that guy and "why are we talking to ___" or "why aren't we talking to ____". I think that's somewhat what Lee migh be referring to in the "fact/fiction" piece.

Seems fair enough. I would be lying if I wasn't interested a bit as well I just don't get into the speculation. The part that bothers me is when we discuss/debate on here it is just that discussion. When Lee makes a statement in the paper people seem to believe it is gospel. That gospel then can lead to problems.

Seems fair enough. I would be lying if I wasn't interested a bit as well I just don't get into the speculation. The part that bothers me is when we discuss/debate on here it is just that discussion. When Lee makes a statement in the paper people seem to believe it is gospel. That gospel then can lead to problems.

Some is likely very factual. Other is speculation. I guess I'm not sure what the "problems" might be.

Fans want information. Reasonable.

The Athletic Department's reason for not providing any is obvious. Reasonable.

Newspapers want to give the fans what they want...information. Again, reasonable.

No sense getting bent out of shape over any of it. Stuff will trickle out....some bogus, some for real. It's all part of the fun.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back