• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

AP Article: Big Ten Looking At Summer Baseball?

I'm for it too. We need to change the disparity somehow and this is a reasonable approach but like the article mentioned, the south-west/southwest will NOT BE for it for obvious reasons.

Monumentally MORONIC idea.

The biggest reason Big 10 teams can't compete is not allowing over signing. That's a dirty word in football but a necessity in baseball.

Basically turning baseball into a club sport will not help. It will kill it. Granted, the Huskers would be a better summer draw than the Saltdogs but it basically amounts to raising a white flag. Who are you going to recruit? Players will want to compete at the collegiate level...not the club sport level. And they want to play in the wood bat leagues in the summer....competition that, quite frankly, is better than the big 10 is now and would be infinitely better if the Big 10 went that route.

That's weak and I'd be shocked if NU was in favor of it. Good example of a northern school that has been able to compete when given a level scholarship playing field. The big 10 should just pull their heads out of their butts and get that corrected.

Sometimes the Big 10 is very small minded.

Last edited:

I don't really care for baseball much and don't follow it that intensely. That said I'm surprised this article has garnered only a few responses. The Big 10 itself dealt a severe blow to national relevance for NU baseball....it's going to take a strong effort and some creativity to get back to anywhere near that level.

A death blow like this...is this something you baseball diehards would REALLY want?

This is a ridiculous idea. If you want to be considered one of the better baseball teams you play other good teams and beat them. The idea about fall baseball is interesting, but creates its own problems. Such as the amount of practice before you can play games and how that will work in conjunction with the spring practice season.

I think the Northern baseball schools need to do what Nebraska has done in the past. Travel to tournaments and win some games over ranked teams. Increase your RPI so you can be considered for an at-large berth in the tourney.

Big 10 baseball is a club sport already, I say move it to summer and start their own tourney, ONLY if they can get other northern conferences to follow suit.

A death blow like this...is this something you baseball diehards would REALLY want?

Death blow? That statement insinuates that Big 10 baseball had a pulse to begin with (it didn't). the Big 10 hasn't sniffed the CWS since the tourney was regionalized.

Here's the moronic idea: split the season in two (fall/spring). Tell me, what southern schools are going to want to play some of their games in the fall?

NONE! ZERO!

So if the season is split, the Big 10 will only be playing other Big 10 schools in the fall.

This is a ridiculous idea. If you want to be considered one of the better baseball teams

Your statement says it all, "if you want to be considered". Thats just it, the Big 10 doesn't want to be considered.

Your statement says it all, "if you want to be considered". Thats just it, the Big 10 doesn't want to be considered.

I don't believe that for a second. I would like to see some sort of quote, or example where that's the case. That's like saying the Summit League basketball teams don't want to be considered better basketball teams. Maybe certain schools don't, but that was the case in the Big 12 also (ISU and Colorado).

Big 10 baseball is a club sport already, I say move it to summer and start their own tourney, ONLY if they can get other northern conferences to follow suit.

Death blow? That statement insinuates that Big 10 baseball had a pulse to begin with (it didn't). the Big 10 hasn't sniffed the CWS since the tourney was regionalized.

Here's the moronic idea: split the season in two (fall/spring). Tell me, what southern schools are going to want to play some of their games in the fall?

NONE! ZERO!

So if the season is split, the Big 10 will only be playing other Big 10 schools in the fall.

Wow. I'm surprised you'd go along with this.

The Big 10 could be more credible if they'd play by the same scholarship rules as everyone else. THAT is what the coaches should be pushing for.

The minnesota coach is being a sissy.

If the Big 10 did this they would get NO recruits whatsoever. Essentially dropping out of the NCAA? Skipping the wood bat leagues where the scouts hang out? Who the hell could you get to play for you?

The Big 10 is a blast to the gut of NU baseball...and it will likely never be a national player again. This would simply guarantee that it's a sport played by a bunch of Wayne State level players as, essentially, a club sport....along the lines of Men's Crew.

Last edited:
I believe that Nebraska has an opportunity to show the other Big Ten schools how NCAA baseball should be played. We are willing to take on just about any team and we travel to play most of them. I suspect that our RPI will be higher than a lot of other schools because of our willingness to play these games i.e.UCLA&Fresno St. in 2011, and Gonzaga,Cal, & Cal St. Bakersfield this year.

From listening to Darren Erstad, it appears he wants to play more top 25 schools in the future. We don't have the big 12 schools on our schedule so we will need to play more top 25 schools to help the RPI.

If other Big 10 teams follow this format the RPI will go up and they will get more teams in the Tournament.

I don't believe that for a second. I would like to see some sort of quote, or example where that's the case.

Take a look at the Big 10's schollie limitations, and therein lies your answer.

don't get me wrong, if everythign else was equal, I'd love to see the Big 10 compete with the south and place teams in the CWS each year.

BUT, everything else is NOT equal: Weather, schollies, talent locale, and on and on.

In a perfect world, the whole baseball season would be shifted farther back in the summer for everyone, not just the Big 10. But this will never happen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back