• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G considering TD Ameritrade Park for postseason tournament

Like I said in the other thread referencing a possible move to Werner for the B1G tourney, playing at TD makes the most sense. You come to Omaha and play your tourney in the THE college baseball stadium, not the "other" park out in the sticks.

Werner is probably the perfect size for a conference tournament, but it is the "other" park in Omaha. The B1G will never be the SEC when it comes to college baseball, but that doesn't mean they have to have a "mid-major" mindset when it comes to how they handle the sport.

They would have to move the tourney from the current dates schedule (memorial day weekend), as the MVC runs over that every other year.

Well, I couldn't really see the B1G hold the baseball tournament every year in Omaha. For some reason I don't think that was going to fly, especially since Nebraska is the new kid. I don't see why alternating years between Omaha and say Indy is out of the question.

My concern is the 24,000 seats. Yes, when Nebraska is playing (assuming they are at least a decent team), the place could very well be packed. But the other times, you'd be hard-pressed to even come close to filling the 9,000 seats at Werner. It's not the CWS -- and you won't get many fans from the visiting teams traveling because very few Big Ten fans care about baseball. Big stadiums with tons of empty seats is simply not a great sports environment.

My concern is the 24,000 seats. Yes, when Nebraska is playing (assuming they are at least a decent team), the place could very well be packed. But the other times, you'd be hard-pressed to even come close to filling the 9,000 seats at Werner. It's not the CWS -- and you won't get many fans from the visiting teams traveling because very few Big Ten fans care about baseball. Big stadiums with tons of empty seats is simply not a great sports environment.

I imagine they'd close the upper deck to condense the fans a little bit.

This one is a no brainer. You've got the chance to play in a state of the art stadium built FOR college baseball, that is the permanent home of the CWS. That is where you play the tournament; really not much to think about on this one. The goal is to have a Big Ten team play there for the CWS so let the teams experience the REAL thing; get those juices flowing early. Nebraskans will come out for the tournament no matter which teams are playing. Since 1950 we've shown we support college baseball in Omaha. There will, however, be ALOT more fans at the tournament when we play.

Nebraskans will come out for the tournament no matter which teams are playing.

This isn't true. Take a look at regionals in Lincoln when Nebraska wasn't playing, in particular the year Nebraska didn't make its own regional finals. Nebraskans could've come and watched a CWS team, Miami, play, and they didn't. Do you really think the Purdue-Michigan State game will have more than a couple thousand fans there? I say more like a few hundred. Also, take a look at the MVC tourney at TD Ameritrade when Creighton wasn't playing: empty seats.

Well, I couldn't really see the B1G hold the baseball tournament every year in Omaha

From what I understand the idea is to put the tourney in one place and "grow" it up to a traditional site, much like the Big 12 tourney at OKC.

I imagine they'd close the upper deck to condense the fans a little bit

The outfield is closed for Creightons games. The upper deck is for suite and club seat holders, so I doubt those would be closed. If you hold club seat (i.e. upper deck) season tickets for the CWS (that is, ME!), you get first right of refusal for all events at TD Ameritrade: Nighthawk football, Red Sky music fest, and any other event that comes through (hockey next year). Last year and this year MECA has comped CWS ticket holders the same seats for Creighton baseball.

Werner Park may be in the running for the softball championship. Perhaps Omaha can be to B1G baseball what Kansas City was/is to Big XII basketball.

Werner Park may be in the running for the softball championship. Perhaps Omaha can be to B1G baseball what Kansas City was/is to Big XII basketball.​

I've heard they are also talking about hosting the NAIA world series, which has been a mainstay in Idaho for years.

I've heard they are also talking about hosting the NAIA world series, which has been a mainstay in Idaho for years.

...would be great to see Omaha lock-up another college baseball championship. Wonder if the NAIA would be as well supported by the folks of Papillion as the CWS.

...would be great to see Omaha lock-up another college baseball championship. Wonder if the NAIA would be as well supported by the folks of Papillion as the CWS.

Probably would depend if Bellevue made the NAIA WS. Also, if there's beer offered. Wonder if what the NAIA regulations are on beer at championship events?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back