• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gonazaga picked to finish second in WCC

Glendale Husker

Scout Team
15 Year Member
SAN BRUNO, Calif. - The Gonzaga University baseball team has been picked to finish second in the 2012 West Coast Conference standings according to a preseason vote by the conference's head coaches.
Reigning WCC Co-Player of the Year and Co-Freshman of the Year Marco Gonzales was the lone Zag named to the preseason All-WCC team, listed as both an infielder and a pitcher.
The Bulldogs received 57 votes and picked up three first-place votes. The University of San Diego was picked to win the WCC championship after garnering 59 points and five first-place votes. For the third straight season there will not be a WCC Championship Series. The regular-season champion will receive the WCC's automatic berth to the NCAA Baseball Championships.
The Bulldogs finished the 2011 season with an overall record of 32-19-1, their fourth 30-win season in five years. In conference play, the Bulldogs went 15-6 for a second-place finish after having been picked to finish sixth in the coaches' preseason poll. Mark Machtolf, entering his ninth year at the helm of the Zags, welcomes back seven position starters, including seniors Royce Bolinger, Andy Hunter and Eric Lane, juniors Billy Moon, Clayton Eslick and Steven Halcomb, and Gonzales. Gonzales and senior Tyler Olson are the two pitchers out of the rotation expected to return to the same role in 2012.
The left-hander Gonzales started 46 games last season, 15 as a pitcher. On the mound, he led the conference in wins (11) and had the second most strikeouts (90). On the offensive side, he carried a .291 batting average with 10 doubles and 14 runs driven in. He committed only one error at first base and recorded 253 putouts and 35 assists for a fielding percentage of .997.
The defending WCC champion University of San Francisco garnered a first-place vote and tallied 51 points to finish third in the poll. Loyola Marymount University captured 37 points to finish fourth. Pepperdine University and Saint Mary's College - each with 30 points - tied for fifth, while WCC newcomer BYU was tabbed seventh with 28 points. The University of Portland (23 points) and Santa Clara University (nine points) rounded out the poll.
In all, six of the nine WCC schools are represented on the preseason all-conference team, led by Saint Mary's with five selections, and San Diego with four. Ten members of this year's Preseason All-WCC Team were All-West Coast Conference selections last year, led by Gonzales and the other WCC Co-Player of the Year and Co-Freshman of the Year Kris Bryant of San Diego.
The Bulldogs open the 2012 season Feb. 17 against the University of Nebraska in Peoria, Ariz. First pitch is at 7 p.m. PT.
2012 WEST COAST CONFERENCE PRESEASON POLL
Team (First Place Votes)
Gonzaga (3)
San Francisco (1)
Loyola Marymount
Pepperdine
Saint Mary's
BYU
Portland
Santa Clara

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
2012 PRESEASON ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM
Player
School
Yr.
Kris Bryant
San Diego
So.
3B/1B
Troy Channing
Saint Mary's
Sr.
IF
Turner Gill
Portland
So.
IF/OF
Marco Gonzales
Gonzaga
So.
IF
Bryan Haar
San Diego
Sr.
UTIL
Brenden Kalfus
Saint Mary's
Jr.
OF
Corey LeVier
San Diego
Sr.
1B/OF
Matt Lowenstein
Loyola Marymount
Jr.
OF
Joe Sever
Pepperdine
Jr.
IF
Patrick Wisdom
Saint Mary's
Jr.
INF

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
Pitcher
School
Yr.
P
Martin Agosta
Saint Mary's
Jr.
RHP
Kyle Barraclough
Saint Mary's
Sr.
RHP
Dylan Covey
San Diego
So.
RHP
Marco Gonzales
Gonzaga
So.
LHP
Kyle Kraus
Portland
Sr.
RHP

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I will be at the Friday game and the Sunday game this weekend. Can't beat the price $5.00! Temps should be around 70 for the weekend. :)

Thanks for the info. :) San Bruno, Calif.??? That's next door to my home town of SF!! :)

What is in San Bruno???? :lol: Can't think of anything but a bar, next to the hiway!! ;)

BTW, still taking mama to the Sr Ctr on Friday nights. In fact, we still close up and clean up the place, before going home. No way I can be around for the opening game. :(

On Saturday, we will be going to an assisted-living vacility, to entertain. I may miss Saturday's game, also. I'll have to check the schedule, again. MJ, Glendale and all, I
look forward to your pbp, along with the others. Hopefully, I'll get back in time to join? Hope so. :)

I'll be there for Sunday, for sure. :)

It has been a tough winter, here at home. Happily, Linda is doing really well, after her 3 week stint in the hospital, along with major surgery. It will take about a year or more for her to get all her strenghth back, but she is doing great, thank The Lord. Again, all the prayers were appreciated from you all. Again, thank you.

Well, ready for the season. One thing I know, all the players will improve under the LEADERSHIP of Darin Erstad. Can't wait!

GO BIG RED!!!

Last edited:

I will be at the Friday game and the Sunday game this weekend. Can't beat the price $5.00! Temps should be around 70 for the weekend. :)

I'm thinking about driving up for the Friday and Saturday games. Depends on whether I have to work on Saturday, or not. I saw the alumni association is doing a tailgate on Saturday. I have a feeling there is going to be a great turnout for the start of the season and Erstad's career.

BTW, still taking mama to the Sr Ctr on Friday nights. In fact, we still close up and clean up the place, before going home. No way I can be around for the opening game. :(

On Saturday, we will be going to an assisted-living vacility, to entertain. I may miss Saturday's game, also. I'll have to check the schedule, again. MJ, Glendale and all, I
look forward to your pbp, along with the others. Hopefully, I'll get back in time to join? Hope so. :)

I'll be there for Sunday, for sure. :)

It has been a tough winter, here at home. Happily, Linda is doing really well, after her 3 week stint in the hospital, along with major surgery. It will take about a year or more for her to get all her strenghth back, but she is doing great, thank The Lord. Again, all the prayers were appreciated from you all. Again, thank you.

Well, ready for the season. One thing I know, all the players will improve under the LEADERSHIP of Darin Erstad. Can't wait!

GO BIG RED!!!

How about using a Smart phone with the Husker baseball app!! :Biggrin:

I will be away the whole weekend. The only reason I'm not going to all three gms. is because on Saturday I will be in a foosball tournament :eek:

Glad things are looking better for Linda and you, the power of prayer is a glorious thing!
I also am excited about Erstad and am the official sunshine pumper for the year! :banana:
We can't do anything about the position NU was put in, all we can do is cheer for our team and hope for the best! In my best Roy Hobb's voice "God I love baseball"

I'm thinking about driving up for the Friday and Saturday games. Depends on whether I have to work on Saturday, or not. I saw the alumni association is doing a tailgate on Saturday. I have a feeling there is going to be a great turnout for the start of the season and Erstad's career.

I think you are right...$5.00 tickets and Erstad! Should be a great turnout. I will for sure be there on Friday and Sunday, bummer that the tailgate is on Saturday...would have been a blast!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back