• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Breakout Defensive Unit

Which defensive unit has a big performance in 2012?

• Defensive Ends

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Defensive Tackles

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Linebackers

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Cornerbacks

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Safeties

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
It's early, but we already know a little bit about our recruiting class as well as what personnel we need to replace on defense. Which defensive unit do you think is primed for a big season in 2012?

While it's impossible to say, I'm expecting a big year out of the linebackers. Losing LaVonte David is going to hurt a lot, but I think that after a season in the Big Ten, we'll adjust to needing bigger, stronger LBs. I also think that Michael Rose and Zaire Anderson will jump in and contribute immediately. If Will Compton can step up and provide some student-leadership for the unit, I think our LBs will be a force this year.

Last edited:

I voted DEs, but that may be more of my hope - would love to see them pick it up this year and saw a few good things from them last year that I hope really gets built upon.

I voted DEs, but that may be more of my hope - would love to see them pick it up this year and saw a few good things from them last year that I hope really gets built upon.

Its my hope as well as there is a lot of improvement needed. I think it will be the linebackers. Anderson and Rose coming in and Santos coming off a redshirt looks promising. Might have three completely new starters by the end of the season. Possibly two immediately.

I voted DTs, we had a lot of guys get playing time at that position last year and the depth should be pretty good, waiting to see what Todd Peat Jr brings to the table. Kevin Williams looked pretty good when I saw him as well

Our defensive line returns a lot of experience. Eric Martin, Jason Ankrah, and Cameron Meredith all provide solid support on the end and the middle should be anchored by Baker Steinkuhler and Chase Rome.

I'm expecting Todd Peat to get some reps in there as well, and we should have a decent bench with Josh Williams, Jay Guy and Thaddeus Randle.

We're past the days of Suh & Crick, but if we can get halfway decent pressure from the front 4, our young secondary will have an easier time learning the ropes.

Really wanting to see E-Martin have an impact season. If we can get some pressure inside, he should be able to get around the lineman and lay a hurting on some folks in the backfield. I told him last year to just think about hitting Dan BeBee and Ed Cunningham every time he rushed. Kind of the "Water Sucks" motivation

I think DT's. I still in my heart believe Crick was far more injured for a longer period of time than we knew. I couldn't believe watching him get pushed all over the field. Chase Rome and Peat Jr. should be ready to go.

You forgot Afalava....he Rose and Anderson are already college ready in their size....I like Santos allot too, but size is a factor with him...

In my opinion Afalava, Rose and Anderson will see playing time from game one...Anderson as a starter....one of the other two wil take Fisher's job sometime early in the season....

Afalava is a stud....go watch his film....

LB will be our strongest position with the kids we have coming in.....

Oh and Todd Peat is going to make Husker fans forget brother Andrus....he is that good....will be the #3 DT this year and see a ton of playing time....

Future is bright on defense with the RS and true Frosh we have coming into fill key positions...

Its my hope as well as there is a lot of improvement needed. I think it will be the linebackers. Anderson and Rose coming in and Santos coming off a redshirt looks promising. Might have three completely new starters by the end of the season. Possibly two immediately.

Last edited:

You forgot Afalava....he Rose and Anderson are already college ready in their size....

In my opinion Afalava, Rose and Anderson will see playing time from game one...Anderson as a starter....one of the other two wil take Fisher's job sometime early in the season....

LB will be our strongest position with the kids we have coming in.....

Oh and Todd Peat is going to make Husker fans forget brother Andrus....he is that good....will be the #3 DT this year and see a ton of playing time....

Future is bright on defense with the RS and true Frosh we have coming into fill key positions...
Yes, you can throw Afalava in there as well.

Tood Peat is going to be a great DT for Nebraska....he is that good....will be the #3 DT this year and I wouldn't be surprised if moves past Rome...which is a good thing....competition that is......

I think DT's. I still in my heart believe Crick was far more injured for a longer period of time than we knew. I couldn't believe watching him get pushed all over the field. Chase Rome and Peat Jr. should be ready to go.

I voted ends. We're losing one of the all time best linebackers, I'm not impressed with our tackles. Lost a very good corner.
Of course I'm hoping for a great defensive team next year.

thad randle will be one of the starting DT this fall. I picked DE in the poll , its the most experienced
part of the defense.

More than just throw him....kid is a stud...and big....he and Rose will be ahead of Santos in my opinion.....

Go watch his film....

Maybe but Santos has a year in the system where as Afalava doesn't. Not sure that will matter with Rose.

We will see.

Kinda hard to believe, but I think a lot of people underestimate what losing Crick did to our line. Toss in the loss of Randle and Rome getting dinged and it was tough going.

Compton was All Conference honorable mention and has the tools to be All Conference. He could be the next in line to bear the brunt of fans for no apparent reason. How is it that if David was our best LB that we need bigger LBs? All the talk prior to the year was they weren't big enough and all the talk at the end of the year was they weren't fast enough. Does everyone need to be 250 and run 4.4 to be any good? We will be fine at LB, the change of conference really put us in a bad spot at that position more than any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back