• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Offensive Line Stats (2004-Present)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Mort

Heisman
5 Year Member
(Year: att/yds - yds/att - TDs - yds/gm (rank) - sacks)
2011: 611/2824 - 4.6 - 31 - 217.2 (15) - 21
2010: 634/3466 - 5.5 - 32 - 247.6 (9) - 29
2009: 512/2062 - 4.0 - 18 - 147.3 (62) - 19
2008: 486/2207 - 4.5 - 27 - 169.8 (36) - 21
2007: 417/1733 - 4.2 - 19 - 144.4 (67) - 18
2006: 554/2387 - 4.3 - 27 - 170.5 (24) - 30
2005: 420/1152 - 2.7 - 10 - 96.0 (109) - 38
2004: 412/1939 - 4.7 - 18 - 176.3 (34) - 17

...so it looks like 2010 -- on the legs of young :bow: Roy Helu and surprising quickness of Taylor Martinez :eek:-- was the strongest statistical year for the O'Line since the coaching change. Was this system related or does it suggest familiarity with Big XII foes on the part of Pelini and Co.

It will be great to see what Beck has in store for an encore this year with all signs pointing to a reinvigorated passing game. Not having twelve new opponents to scheme should also help a bit. ;)

Thoughts?

Looks like 2011 wasn't all that bad either, in a new conference with a relatively younger squad, using mainly one RB, without the big plays by Martinez, accompanied by a less than dominant defense for most of the season. Looks like they allow few sacks than last year. And being ranked in the top 20 rushing with a 4.6 yards per attempt should cause the "our O-Line is horrific" crew to shut up, but I bet it won't so, hears to another thread that will lead to more Barney Cotton debates.

Looks like 2011 wasn't all that bad either, in a new conference with a relatively younger squad, using mainly one RB, without the big plays by Martinez, accompanied by a less than dominant defense for most of the season. Looks like they allow few sacks than last year. And being ranked in the top 20 rushing with a 4.6 yards per attempt should cause the "our O-Line is horrific" crew to shut up, but I bet it won't so, hears to another thread that will lead to more Barney Cotton debates.

To me, 2011 may very well have been a more impressive effort by our team, and our line.

We had better success sustaining drives during the 2011 season, and running clock when needed, not relying on the "big" play as we did in 2010. And this with pretty much a brand new offense and new offensive coordinator. Not to mention playing in a more physical conference against opponents that paid more of a premium to the defensive side for the most part.

In 2010 we seemed to be plagued a bit with the fact that we were sporadic in trying to sustain drives. It was often either feast or famine with the "big" play.

We are definitely on an upswing, and it appears that our staff is on the same page now. This next year will be the first time in a number of years that we'll be running the same offense 2 years in a row.(with Watson it seemed we often changed gears mid-season).

While there's no doubt that Beck and company will pore through the film from this last year and tweak what they're doing, no doubt adding new wrinkles, it sounds like we'll carry the same philosophy for a change. That's got to help all of our guys across the board.

Last edited:

I am hoping that we return to the kind of line that gives us an average of 5.0 ypc... in a "down" season. The great seasons should find us near 6.0 ypc. We'll get there.

Two other things that are OL related...

First, I want to see positive yards on first down more consistently. No team, no matter how potent offensively, is going to be successful when they find themselves in 2nd & 3rd and long. This also means that the QB needs to make the right decisions in the running game (zone read, option, etc).

Second, I want to be able to impose our will on short yardage situations, particularly against "inferior" teams. It's one thing to get stuffed on 3rd and 1 against Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. It's quite another to be stuffed on 3rd and 1 against some of the lower level teams that we should be able to push around. It's a huge lift to an opponent if they can stop Nebraska in short yardage situations; let's not give them that momentum boost.

I think that the 2011 team improved on the second point, but maybe not as much on the first point. That could just be my perception, as I don't have the statistics to back it up.

To me, 2011 may very well have been a more impressive effort by our team, and our line.

We had better success sustaining drives during the 2011 season, and running clock when needed, not relying on the "big" play as we did in 2010. And this with pretty much a brand new offense and new offensive coordinator. Not to mention playing in a more physical conference against opponents that paid more of a premium to the defensive side for the most part.

In 2010 we seemed to be plagued a bit with the fact that we were sporadic in trying to sustain drives. It was often either feast or famine with the "big" play.

Nebraska finished 97th nationally in time of possession this past season. 28:30 per game average.

2011: 97th, 28:30
2010: 27th, 31:16
2009: 47th, 30:30
2008: 2nd, 34:01
2007: 81st, 29:12
2006: 5th, 32:01
2005: 60th, 29:56

(national rankings not given prior to 2005)

2004: n/a, 27:55
2003: n/a, 31:41
2002: n/a, 29:10
2001: n/a, 31:48
2000: n/a, 32:12
1999: n/a, 31:13
1998: n/a, 30:38
1997: n/a, 32:48
1996: n/a, 31:11
1995: n/a, 31:56

I do think I saw promising signs from the offense this season -- but there's still reason for concern and significant need of improvement. The opposition is still possessing the ball more than Nebraska -- and that's not a great sign for a team that runs the ball more than twice as often as it passes (611 runs for NU vs 283 pass attempts). In 2004, for example, Nebraska only ran the ball 90 more times than it passed, which would explain the relatively low TOP (granted, I'd take the 2011 offense any day over 2004).

There's many more ways to outline the quality of play by the offensive line. The stats given in the first post... and the time of possession... are just a few. There's a ways to go yet. Looking for improvement in 2012.

Nebraska finished 97th nationally in time of possession this past season. 28:30 per game average.

I do think I saw promising signs from the offense this season -- but there's still reason for concern and significant need of improvement. The opposition is still possessing the ball more than Nebraska -- and that's not a great sign for a team that runs the ball more than twice as often as it passes (611 runs for NU vs 283 pass attempts). In 2004, for example, Nebraska only ran the ball 90 more times than it passed, which would explain the relatively low TOP (granted, I'd take the 2011 offense any day over 2004).

There's many more ways to outline the quality of play by the offensive line. The stats given in the first post... and the time of possession... are just a few. There's a ways to go yet. Looking for improvement in 2012.

I think that establishing some sort of consistency across the board with the offense will help the time of possession stats. It seemed at times that we would put together a long drive or two, then follow it up with a few 3-and-outs. I don't have time to look at each game, but I'll take a glance at the losses in 2011...

Against Wisconsin, we had 11 possessions. Four of those possessions lasted 3 plays or less. Another possession lasted 5 plays but only 41 seconds. Another was 4 plays but only 24 seconds. We had 6 consecutive possessions from the end of the 1st quarter to the beginning of the 4th quarter that lasted a TOTAL of 5:44. Those 6 possessions resulted in 2 punts, 3 interceptions, and a missed field goal. At that point, the score was 41-14.

Against Northwestern, we again had 11 possessions. Three of those possessions lasted 3 plays or less. The drives tended to last a bit longer, but our longest drive (13 plays, 4:44) ended in a fumble. We came right back and fumbled again after 2 plays and 47 seconds.

We had 14 possessions against Michigan, but not a single one lasted even 3 minutes. Our three longest drives (based on TOP) all ended with zero points:
5 plays - punt
6 plays -downs
11 plays - downs
EIGHT of the possessions lasted 3 plays or less. Three others were 5 plays or less. We had a touchdown "drive" that lasted 3 plays and covered 65 yards (54 yd TD pass). No other drive went more than 32 yards until the final possession.

I don't know how to explain the South Carolina game. That was a game that we should have won, quite honestly. I have no idea how a 6 play drive that only covers 4 yards can chew up over 4 1/2 minutes of game clock.

I want to be able to impose our will on short yardage situations, particularly against "inferior" teams. It's one thing to get stuffed on 3rd and 1 against Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. It's quite another to be stuffed on 3rd and 1 against some of the lower level teams that we should be able to push around. It's a huge lift to an opponent if they can stop Nebraska in short yardage situations; let's not give them that momentum boost.

Absolutely agree. As we saw in 2010, it doesn't matter if we can run for 5+ yards/carry if we can't inflict our will in short yardage situations and against strong D-Lines. Thanks for the conversation, all.

If you run a fast paced offence and don't catch well, or false start or drop passes or fumble you will lose the time of possession.

Especially if you consider the injuries on the OL, this was an impressive year. Given that at Penn State we had 3 walk-ons starting (Caputo, Long, and Choi) and still won, there are some very good signs as to depth starting to really take hold.

our O-Line is horrific!!!!!

I just had to put that out there. Our line play was lacking last year, to be honest. I don't know that all the blame is on Coach Cotton, but there is one thing about this staff that does bother me. There doesn't seem to be a lot of development of talent. Suh was a freak, so was Helu, and Rex is in the same league, a beast. David was a phenom in the Pelini defense, as was Dennard. That is all the "Stars" I can come up with that arrived after Bo & company came in. Unless I am missing something, the development of talent across the board, combined with the stubborn sticking with one QB, has probably done more harm than good. Imagine the stats with a more servicable QB.

Just my :2cents:

I'm not sure we can look purely at the rushing numbers as an indication of our line's performance. Had we been running the same offense for all those years, the numbers would be more indicative of our line's performance, but we have been moving to more of a run-based attack the past few years.

I do think our line is improving, and overall I liked the way they played this year. I'm excited to have them running the same offense for a second consecutive year in 2012 and excited for last year's outstanding O-line recruits to push for playing time.

But, don't forget to consider that our defense struggled this last season stopping the opponent, allowing them to sustain drives which is also a contributing factor in TOP. While many dismiss it, I do think injuries across the board, and particularly to the interior line, contributed greatly to our inability to get the ball back in our hands.

It takes both sides of the ball to win TOP. The offense made strides in it's first year in a new system. Doesn't mean that there isn't work to do, but the positive signs outweigh the negative, IMO.

We are definitely on an upswing, and it appears that our staff is on the same page now. This next year will be the first time in a number of years that we'll be running the same offense 2 years in a row.(with Watson it seemed we often changed gears mid-season).

While there's no doubt that Beck and company will pore through the film from this last year and tweak what they're doing, no doubt adding new wrinkles, it sounds like we'll carry the same philosophy for a change. That's got to help all of our guys across the board.

I agree. The steps made in this past season as well as the previous seasons were signs that we are heading in the right direction. I believe depth is more of an issue than talent or development. It's hard for any athlete to be stellar on the O-line for 7+ games without having someone there to step in and provide some rest in competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back