• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked State of the Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh ok...yeah I guess that would make sense...Callahan should be the one universal uniting point on this board

The current state of the program is that we consistently are not one of the 25 best teams in the country. Some posters are quite satisfied with being at that level...they will tell you how we are better than we were under BC, they are right about that...but we are not remotely close to were we need to be. And "no," I'm not implying that we should always win the NC or go 60-3 during each 5 year stretch. This pessimists, think it impossible to ever compete for championships in Lincoln...they are wrong, but seem HELLBENT on a self fulfilling prophecy by insisting we keep a good-to-medicre HC employed in Lincoln. It was understandable when it was FS, a Husker legend...but all the love for this guy is baffling.

I can't speak for anyone else. But my desire to keep this "good to mediocre coach" in Lincoln is that he is winning 9+ games a year. If this school fires another head coach with that kind of record, we may never recover. I certainly would think it might be difficult to get a top coach to submit his resume in that environment.

Unless you have a specific name who is guaranteed to accepte the position, there really is nothing to do but see what happens down the road. And don't forget, just because a coach may be good at one school doesn't guarantee success if he comes to coach at NU.

I can't speak for anyone else. But my desire to keep this "good to mediocre coach" in Lincoln is that he is winning 9+ games a year. If this school fires another head coach with that kind of record, we may never recover. I certainly would think it might be difficult to get a top coach to submit his resume in that environment.

Unless you have a specific name who is guaranteed to accept the position, there really is nothing to do but see what happens down the road. And don't forget, just because a coach may be good at one school doesn't guarantee success if he comes to coach at NU.

+1.

Honestly, how could you support bc to the bitter end (and beyond) but can't muster up even a little patience for Bo and Co?

Look...I don't appreciate your continual stalking and lying about me and mischaracterising my opinions...I've told you this before. I gave Bo my full support until this year...he has proven to me that he is not capable. On top of that, his sideline antics and treatment of fans, press and players is an embarrassment to NU. I gave BC my support even though I thought FS (one of my childhood hero's) should have been given another year. BC lost my support when he lost the team in early 2007...this equated essentially to the same timeframe as most NU fans. Very few fans foresaw the wheels falling off the program coming off the 2005 and 2006 seasons, which were very "Bo-like" from a results perspective. But once you know the coach is failing...you need to make a change. Bo's been given more time than necessary to prove himself. I can understand one more year of patience...but in 2012 with lots of returning starters, he needs to win a championship or, at a minimum, improve the team's overall record. Four losses doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

Unless you have a specific name who is guaranteed to accepte the position, there really is nothing to do but see what happens down the road. And don't forget, just because a coach may be good at one school doesn't guarantee success if he comes to coach at NU.

Amen, Kenny!! Especially a young coach with potential. The greater risk here is in over-reacting and assuming that there will be no improvement. Those that think we could get Chris Petersen if we fire a 9-4 young, respected coach are friggin' crazy.

Oh, and by the way, on a separate issue, let's add strength and conditioning to our "wish list" for next season. All season long, the offensive line has been blasted back so fast that many plays are doomed from the start. QUOTE]

A bit of an overstatement (the bold above). I remember quite a few weeks in there where the O line was being congratulated on this very board for its hard-nosed play. I even thought in the first half today that there was plenty of room to run up the gut. Rex can't do everything - the line had to be blocking.

Last edited:
Oh, and by the way, on a separate issue, let's add strength and conditioning to our "wish list" for next season. All season long, the offensive line has been blasted back so fast that many plays are doomed from the start. QUOTE]

A bit of an overstatement (the bold above). I remember quite a few weeks in there where the O line was being congratulated on this very board for its hard-nosed play. I even thought in the the first half today that there was plenty of room to run up the gut. Rex can't do everything - the line had to be blocking.

I agree, the issue isn't that there's a lack of talent or that the O-Line is terrible. They have had moments where they've shined. But, there is certainly consistency, and it seems like discipline missing from the unit.

I can't speak for anyone else. But my desire to keep this "good to mediocre coach" in Lincoln is that he is winning 9+ games a year. If this school fires another head coach with that kind of record, we may never recover. I certainly would think it might be difficult to get a top coach to submit his resume in that environment. .

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. Just because we failed with one coaching selection, doesn't mean we will fail every time. Remember, it was a very pompous, unlikable AD (SP) that was making the decision. He failed, that doesn't mean TO or someone else would fail now. I do agree, it would be nice to line someone up...cause we will need them, likely very soon.

Last edited:

I will take 5 more years of 9-10 wins a year if it guarantees we don't drop below that. It would mean we'll have a 11-more season within a decade. With our population base and built-in recruiting challenges, we have to have both our offense and defensive talent cycles coincide. We had great defense last year, but our offense has been down for two years. (How much better is our record if we put the 2010 defense with the 2011 offense?) Add in a complete staff shuffle on both sides of the ball, new conference...it would have been easy to lose ground this year.

9-10 with no major problems is the standard. That standard is being met and exceeded on the academic side. There shouldn't even be a discussion going on that includes the word "fire". Suggesting repeating the biggest mistake in modern NU history in less than 10 years is beyond insanity.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. Just because we failed with one coaching selection, doesn't mean we will fail every time. Remember, it was a very pompous, unlikable AD (SP) that was making the decision. He failed, that doesn't mean TO or someone else would fail now. I do agree, it would be nice to line someone up...cause we will need them, likely very soon.

Or someone else?

Do you think TO should go with Bo?

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. Just because we failed with one coaching selection, doesn't mean we will fail every time. Remember, it was a very pompous, unlikakle AD (SP) that was making the decision. He failed, that doesn't mean TO or someone else would fail now. I do agree, it would be nice to line someone up...cause we will need them, likely very soon.

It's not just at Nebraska - look at the success of hiring coaches after "mediocre coaches according to your definition".

Michigan - Lloyd Carr (Retired under durress)... Rich Rodriguez
Nebraska - Frank Solich (We know that story)... Bill Callahan
Notre Dame - Bob Davie... Tyrone Willingham... Charlie Weiss
Kansas State - Bill Synder... Hell, I can't even remember that guy's name now, but he was terrible
Minnesota - Glenn Mason... Doesn't even matter who replaced him, because they've been terrible ever since
Arizona State - Bruce Snyder... Dirk Koetter... Dennis Erickson

Why are you so quick to want that sort of turmoil introduced to Nebraska?

GFoA, I don't disagree with alot of what you just said above. The problem is if you do fire Pelini, get another coach, even a top notch one, and it doesn't work out, you will have black balled your own school for years. Also, do you really think TO is going to fire Bo after year 4 winning no less than 9 games each season? No way, no how.

POY candiate....very well said....

I will take 5 more years of 9-10 wins a year if it guarantees we don't drop below that. It would mean we'll have a 11-more season within a decade. With our population base and built-in recruiting challenges, we have to have both our offense and defensive talent cycles coincide. We had great defense last year, but our offense has been down for two years. (How much better is our record if we put the 2010 defense with the 2011 offense?) Add in a complete staff shuffle on both sides of the ball, new conference...it would have been easy to lose ground this year.

9-10 with no major problems is the standard. That standard is being met and exceeded on the academic side. There shouldn't even be a discussion going on that includes the word "fire". Suggesting repeating the biggest mistake in modern NU history in less than 10 years is beyond insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back