• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo doing a little flirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our reporters are simply bloggers. The media pressure on Bo is far worse than it was even on Solich, which was just before the internet boom. Our reporters are the journalistic equivalent of neanderthals, acting as nothing more than conduits for the mewling masses of fans who think they are entitled to full program access because they subscribe to the B10 network.

Let me try to break this down in simple terms because we are still missing each other:

Places like Texas, OSU, and even OU (with it's close proximity to Dallas and other major metro centers) can get away with being stupid ________'s to their coaches because those places will always be in a great position to attract new talent if they run someone good off. NU is not similarly situated. Not at all.

So the press and fans should treat Bo with kid gloves because he is borderline irreplaceable? Nonsense. There are only about a dozen coaches making more than Bo. One of the top 15 highest paying jobs in college athletics will attract plenty of talent. I hope Bo is at NU for the long haul but if he leaves, NU will have no shortage of candidates.

Last edited:
So the press and fans should treat Bo with kid gloves because he is borderline irreplaceable? Nonsense. There are only about a dozen coaches making more than Bo. One of the top 15 highest paying jobs in college athletics will attract plenty of talent. I hope Bo is at NU for the long haul but if he leaves, NU will have no shortage of candidates.

You say with kid gloves, I say with proper perspective.

And right now, NU is right around 15th in the country, so he's making good in terms of the money to ranking ratio.

As far as potential shortages, I think we'd have a pretty tough time replacing Bo with a prototypical top candidate, and maybe even some struggle getting a promising up and comer to come, unless that person had ties. NU just isn't an appealing job for most top candidates out there. From a relative perspective, we may be 15th, but the % difference down to 30 probably isn't that significant (maybe even off set in places like TX and FL where there is no state income tax).

One advantage we certainly have is that there is a firm commitment to devoting resources to the program as a whole; not even some of the schools that pay their head guy well can boast that. Still, we are just in a bunch of schools at the top... again, maybe 30 or so. We aren't that far ahead of anyone.

Last edited:

I think Frank is a great coach - as an assistant at Nebraska and as a head coach at Ohio U. At the risk of repeating myself, he couldn't even get the Minnesota job, and no school that would be considered a lateral move or a step up from Nebraska has been beating his door down. But what do they know, right?

Tired, lame argument. Most teams looking for "the Answer" aren't looking for a guy old enough to be on social security.

As for "the Answer" for the Huskers, many here were beating the drum for Jim Grobe to replace Callahan. Compare his record at Ohio to Frank's. Frank makes Grobe look like Callahan.

Be honest, were you one of those in favor of Jim Grobe to replace Callahan?

Tired, lame argument. Most teams looking for "the Answer" aren't looking for a guy old enough to be on social security.

As for "the Answer" for the Huskers, many here were beating the drum for Jim Grobe to replace Callahan. Compare his record at Ohio to Frank's. Frank makes Grobe look like Callahan.

Be honest, were you one of those in favor of Jim Grobe to replace Callahan?

Ummm, no. I wasn't happy with any of the candidates, and would take Frank over any of them or the guy who replaced him. Even you and I can agree that Pedey's lack of a replacement already in the queue when he let go of Frank was a flawed strategy of epic proportions. Given the circumstances and how it played out I wish Frank would have gotten the two or three years he deserved after being allowed to make staff changes. That didn't happen so we move on with our lives.

These threads are always entertaining... Solich should have never been fired after a 9-3 season, as evidenced by the number of coaches that would not even interview for the position after it happened. Urban Meyer said it best.

Once Callahan was hired, he should have been fully supported - as the coach of the Huskers. Unfortunately, choosing to do that hurts some people's feelings around here.

Of course, at the end, it was clear that he should be fired and Osborne brought in the guy to right the ship. Since Bo is the current coach, I will support him as well. Not to mention, I really truly believe he's the right guy.

I love how some on here seem to think that the fan base and some posters here fired Solich and hired Callahan... Can someone in an administrative capacity please explain to Fred & friends how these decisions get made?

If Fred wants an apology, maybe he can start by apologizing for all the labels that he attached to those of us that chose to support Callahan as the head coach of our Huskers and choose not to take cheap shots at him at every turn.

Ummm, no. I wasn't happy with any of the candidates, and would take Frank over any of them or the guy who replaced him. Even you and I can agree that Pedey's lack of a replacement already in the queue when he let go of Frank was a flawed strategy of epic proportions. Given the circumstances and how it played out I wish Frank would have gotten the two or three years he deserved after being allowed to make staff changes. That didn't happen so we move on with our lives.

I've always believed that Pedey had a deal with the Wannstache to come in and take over, and was shocked when the Fish decided to keep him around another year. Of course, that's not to say that the Stache would have been any better than Callahan, as evidenced by his subsequent fiasco at Pitt. But at least it would have spared us the embarrassment of that pathetic coaching search.

I've always believed that Pedey had a deal with the Wannstache to come in and take over, and was shocked when the Fish decided to keep him around another year. Of course, that's not to say that the Stache would have been any better than Callahan, as evidenced by his subsequent fiasco at Pitt. But at least it would have spared us the embarrassment of that pathetic coaching search.

Very interesting, I've never heard that before! And agree with the rest.

The stache would probably have been mediocre but that would have been a step up from Cally.

These threads are always entertaining... Solich should have never been fired after a 9-3 season, as evidenced by the number of coaches that would not even interview for the position after it happened. Urban Meyer said it best.

Once Callahan was hired, he should have been fully supported - as the coach of the Huskers. Unfortunately, choosing to do that hurts some people's feelings around here.

Of course, at the end, it was clear that he should be fired and Osborne brought in the guy to right the ship. Since Bo is the current coach, I will support him as well. Not to mention, I really truly believe he's the right guy.

I love how some on here seem to think that the fan base and some posters here fired Solich and hired Callahan... Can someone in an administrative capacity please explain to Fred & friends how these decisions get made?

If Fred wants an apology, maybe he can start by apologizing for all the labels that he attached to those of us that chose to support Callahan as the head coach of our Huskers and choose not to take cheap shots at him at every turn.

Good post.

...Once Callahan was hired, he should have been fully supported - as the coach of the Huskers. Unfortunately, choosing to do that hurts some people's feelings around here.

it's tough to fully embrace and have faith & patience with the new guy when he essentially states that for the past 40 years you've been doing it wrong. Failing to even try to understand the environment, entirely discarding the offense & reducing the size of the walkon program strained (and broke) program ties throughout the state = burned a lot of bridges (as well as boats). I said before he was hired, BC's an ego maniac & a terrible leader who destroyed the Raiders from the inside out & admonished them as the dumbest team in America. BC was condescending from day 1 in Lincoln & seemed to always come off as implying that Nebraskans should just study soil content and feel grateful that he was excellent in all areas.

NEWICOsker said:

I guarantee the best ones don't happen franticly, via post it notes or on runways ... as evidenced by the month long process leading to the eventual hire of an unemployed program wrecker.

That said, I've always supported the University of Nebraska financially as well as being a fiercely loyal fan... even during the Callahan error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back