• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked No Dui for our center!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very close to someone that was twice busted for driving on a suspended license, and both times got it reduced to a "no operator's license" charge... basically the same as forgetting your license at home.

It's not that difficult (especially for a first-time offender) to get a plea deal for a variety of misdemeanor charges.

Especially if your dad is important, your coach is in your corner or you can afford a good attorney.

The previous county attorney is not relevant.

And a serious bodily injury hit and run "accident" by someone driving on a suspended license usually gets more than a diversion. Let's just say I have a bro who got nabbed for driving on a suspended license (didn't nearly kill someone...or even hurt them) and he didn't get "diversion".

By the way, the current county attorney is the same one that charged Baker Steinkuhler AND Ricky Thenarse last year.

It's entirely possible that there were circumstances in Caputo's situation that made this arrangement possible. Like the fact that he wasn't actually driving at the time.

Especially if your dad is important, your coach is in your corner or you can afford a good attorney.

I guess Pelini didn't care much about Steinkuhler or Thenarse. Or Dean Steinkuhler isn't as important as Tony Caputo.

And being able to afford a good attorney has nothing to do with Caputo being a Husker.

I think the most important thing is whether or not Caputo learned a lesson and is able to not repeat the same mistake. It was a potentially deadly mistake, but let's just hope he's learned enough to not repeat it.

By all accounts, he's a quality young man who made a terrible mistake. Regardless of whether or not he plays (he will), I just hope he doesn't repeat his mistakes.

I think the most important thing is whether or not Caputo learned a lesson and is able to not repeat the same mistake. It was a potentially deadly mistake, but let's just hope he's learned enough to not repeat it.

By all accounts, he's a quality young man who made a terrible mistake. Regardless of whether or not he plays (he will), I just hope he doesn't repeat his mistakes.

I'm in 100% agreement with you. I will never, EVER condone driving drunk. I also hope he learns from this, and recognizes that he is lucky that he didn't hurt someone else OR himself.

And if you have a decent attorney, it can be dropped to reckless driving.

Do you have any proof that the current Lancaster County Attorney has a soft spot for the Husker program? Because I can promise you that I can find quotes from the previous county attorney that were not at all flattering towards Osborne or the Husker football team.

I just love street lawyers on this board. I'll come at you from a police officer perspective:
Yes, a decent attorney, based on the evidence, may be able to work a deal, but that's after charges are filed. In this case, the County Attorney filed lesser charges, now the plea deal comes into play.

The public information out is the suspect blew a .103 on a PRELIMINARY BREATH TEST. This test is done in the field and the result is not admissible in and of itself in court. After you're arrested, you are required to take a chemical breath test of your blood, breath or urine. That result is in 99% of cases what the prosecutor bases the DUI charge on. If it's .08 or above, most likely going to be charged with DUI. IF below .08, a lesser reckless charge is usually filed. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE CHEMICAL TEST RESULT WAS. I would guess it was lower than .08. That's most likely why the reckless charge.

Caputo still has his driver's license confiscated per the Administrative License Revocation law in Nebraska, and his insurance will be high. With a Reckless conviction (class 3 misd), he will lose 5 points off his driver's license.

I do agree with Blisker that special things happen to special people. I've seen it firsthand.

Last edited:

By the way, the current county attorney is the same one that charged Baker Steinkuhler AND Ricky Thenarse last year.

It's entirely possible that there were circumstances in Caputo's situation that made this arrangement possible. Like the fact that he wasn't actually driving at the time.

Yep, and since it does not directly affect anyone on this board, and we don't have all the circumstances surrounding this case, I'd say ................ we should stop bloviating about it ... sit back on January 2 and enjoy the game !! GBR !!

ANd by the way HT, I just copied your post because it was the voice of reason, and I agreed with it. You are not the one bloviating.

Last edited:

My son is still at the University, and per him the word is that much of what was reported wasn't necessarily true per what he's hearing.

He tells me that he has heard that although it was reported that Caputo was found asleep at the wheel, in reality he was slumped forward because he was texting somebody.

My son is still at the University, and per him the word is that much of what was reported wasn't necessarily true per what he's hearing.

He tells me that he has heard that although it was reported that Caputo was found asleep at the wheel, in reality he was slumped forward because he was texting somebody.

Good thing he wasn't twittering....that might have got him a suspension

Reckless driving while not driving is the appropriate charge? He was drunk and in control of a running vehicle. That's DUI for your or me.

Do we know he was in fact drunk?

Often a DUI becomes a reckless because the blood test comes back low or right around the .08.

I do not know about Joe Kelly, but Gary Lacey was hardly soft on UNL student athletes.....the children of cops, well that's a different story

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back