• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Our new DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many factors in play here, money apparently is not one of them.

One major factor as some have speculated, if JP gets promoted to DC, it would appear that Bo is going to have major involvement in the defense again.

Hiring of Mike Stoops, would signal the opposite, as a coach of this level one would assume he would be THE Defensive Coordinator in the traditional sense

That might be a good point. I thought Bo had worked with Mike at OU but Mike left the year Bo was the co-DC there so they did not coordinate together.

you are probably right but Stoops said he would be interested and why would Stoops want to share with Finkel at Ohio State. We will know soon enough.

I have to agree Bo has shown himself to be a control freak but I'm hoping he grows out of that as he matures into a head coach.

I would guess most good head coaches are control freaks, seems to be the nature of the beast.

Out of pure speculation only, but what if Bo took over complete DC responsibilities and hired a Special teams coach? Specifically one that can also work with qb's, primarily the option game. :Biggrin: It would free up J. P. to work more on the recruiting aspect and Coach Beck to work on the offense as a whole as well.

Last edited:
Out of pure speculation only, but what if Bo took over complete DC responsibilities and hired a Special teams coach? Specifically one that can also work with qb's, primarily the option game. :Biggrin: It would free up J. P. to work more on the recruiting aspect and Coach Beck to work on the offense as a whole as well.

I would not mind that at all. That would be best-case scenario (assuming JP was promoted).

JP is our best recruiter and I'm not sure if our best recruiter should also be our recruiting coordinator. I have not been impressed with his work with the ST unit, and I'd love to have a special teams guru.

VT and KSU have great ST that make huge plays just about every week.

How do you people know that Mike wont be our next DC. Have you actually even done any research???

I am only asking, not intending to be an ass. What "research" can be done? The validity of research is based on data; we all want the dominating defense, just not sure where or what "research" can be done to deliver an early answer.

I think either hiring Stoops for a 1 or 2 year stint or promoting JP and hiring a new DL coach are fine choices. It all depends on what Bo values at the moment. Bringing in Stoops would introduce some new insights and/or approaches which could be important in JP's development and grooming to eventually become a DC (the guy's only been a full time paid game day coach for these 4 years and largely with the same coaches around him). Stoops will take the opportunity that best positions him for an eventual HC job. (either OSU or NU could offer this. NU because he would have an opportunity to field a better defense despite losing our best defenders or OSU because it fields a top 10 D every year - this is a generalization, not researched data)

Promoting JP now might make Bo do more of the defensive work which he might decide is the best way for him to be HC. (Just like TO did with the offense when he was coach.) Either way, I think internal promotion is Bo's leadership style and, FWIW I think that's healthy organizational leadership. It will attract young, creative coaches to Nebraska for entry level jobs because they will see that people can advance. For me I'd rather deal with the creativity, ingenuity, and humility of those on their way up than the ego and intractability of people who might feel over-qualified for the job they have.

Jesse Kosch is saying he thinks Stoops will be the DC. FWIW, he is also hearing Ron Brown will retire, Cotton is going administrative (leaving Garrison and Stai in charge of the line) and Carnes is going to transfer. All of this is a rumor, but who knows what kind of contacts he still has around the program. I can say the only thing that would surprise me would be Brown leaving, and that isn't a big surprise to me.

I am only asking, not intending to be an ass. What "research" can be done? The validity of research is based on data; we all want the dominating defense, just not sure where or what "research" can be done to deliver an early answer.

The only research you need is to look at who Bo Pelini is and who Mike Stoops is. Then you ask yourself, what are the upsides and what are the downsides?

Bo has a lot to gain and a lot to lose this year. He knows M.S. and grasps where it could all go more than any of us. His decision won't be made on coaching ability, it will be made on chemistry. It always has.

Jesse Kosch is saying he thinks Stoops will be the DC. FWIW, he is also hearing Ron Brown will retire, Cotton is going administrative (leaving Garrison and Stai in charge of the line) and Carnes is going to transfer. All of this is a rumor, but who knows what kind of contacts he still has around the program. I can say the only thing that would surprise me would be Brown leaving, and that isn't a big surprise to me.

if Cotton goes admin does that mean Jamrog goes and/or goes with Carl along with Joey and Brion?

As some have mentioned these things are more complicated than we usually appreciate. I noticed this little Blurb about Stoops in an article about Meyer's staff at OSU:

Mike Stoops has been offered the co-defensive coordinator position. News On 6, an Oklahoma newstation, confirmed the rumors last Thursday. Stoops has openly stated his interest in the Buckeye job, but there appears to be a hold-up. Stoops, who is divorced, will need to stay on the West Coast if he wishes to see his children on a regular basis. It's a tough choice, the balance between career and family, and one that Stoops is mulling over right now.

http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/2011/12/5/2602260/latest-ohio-state-coaching-rumors

oh so he didn't know this would be a problem until after he interviewed for the job. Or maybe he thought Urban would let him work from the West Coast and not require him to actually be at the stadium.

Wow, should be a very interesting offseason if all or any of that is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back