• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Article on QB Battle

Crazy to think after all this time people still don't trust the coaching staff to put the best product on the field.

Also crazy that everyone in here is a coach!

(I'll look forward now to all the responses abbot the Jeff Sims debacle)

Last edited:

Crazy to think after all this time people still don't trust the coaching staff to put the best product on the field.

Also crazy that everyone in here is a coach!

(I'll look forward now to all the responses abbot the Jeff Sims debacle)
Crazier to think the drivel from the article is worthwhile.

If the first part happens, the second part won't. IOW, if HH can get the passing game up to snuff, it doesn't matter who is qb. Add in his run game, even better.
But having packages for him and one of the other two using the pass game to their abilities is mostly what we'll see imo.
Though HH could surprise, but he won't go the full season as the only qb no matter what.
DR had negative yardage rushing in his HS career, so I don't expect him to run much here.

Yes, I do. The threat of a passing QB that can also run really stresses a defense.
Per the last 7 national championship QBs, none of them have been huge scramblers. It shows that a good OL, a good RB, and good receivers around a good pocket-present QB is the recipe

McCarthy 2023: 202 rushing
Bennett 2022: 205 rushing
Bennett 2021: 259 rushing
Jones 2020: 14 rushing
Burrow 2019: 368 rushing
Lawrence 2018: 177 rushing

All capable, none of them heavily relied on it, just like DR, also reduces mistakes and fumbles

Last edited:
Per the last 7 national championship QBs, none of them have been huge scramblers. It shows that a good OL, a good RB, and good receivers around a good pocket-present QB is the recipe

All capable, none of them heavily relied on it, just like DR, also reduces mistakes and fumbles
Correct.

How many national titles do we have in the last 7 years with oursub 4.5 QBs?

When a qb gets 15-20 in a game its usually like a 3rd and 5 play where the D loses contain and the qb gets 10 or so.
Thats fine, and better than throwing to someone who's near the line to gain, a judgement call by a qb who sees whats going on and protects himself.

The theory you have to have a dual threat QB in college to be successful is complete bunk. Of course, having the supporting cast around the QB is just as important.

The theory you have to have a dual threat QB in college to be successful is complete bunk. Of course, having the supporting cast around the QB is just as important.
I agree, and not having a supporting cast around them would be the only reason I see being dual threat being necessary. It's pretty clear what Rhule and Co are trying to create offensively and its not a QB-run centric one

I agree, and not having a supporting cast around them would be the only reason I see being dual threat being necessary. It's pretty clear what Rhule and Co are trying to create offensively and its not a QB-run centric one
Looking back under Riley with Lee at qb, we were so qb centric we had a miserable run game, even though we had Ziggy.
We put up 20 pass tds but couldn't complement with a run game. Heres where under MR we will be different, MR runs the ball but usually has great passing too. He could build a complementary offense. And he's consistent, my biggest concern under Riley where his teams were too up and down. Like mailing it in often.

The reason I'm pointing out Riley is because under him was the last semi long term HC that did this. BC tried, but outlet passes by the score don't count.

SF also relied upon the run pass qb as did Bo. If our run game is decent, our pass game is good, I see DR in that role, with HH as a change up or down and distance or short red zone.
DK, I hope he shows in his games, because I believe he will, add experience, he'll be good too.

Several things here:
-Stats alone are misleadings for "rushing" as they include yards lost to sacks.
-Most of the QB's on that list are quite athletic and could and did produce big, important rushing plays when required.
-The known mobility of these QB's definitely affected how they were rushed. Blitz them and they could or would hurt you either with the passing game, but the DC knew the QB could also hurt you with their legs: defense had to account for this!
-Most had "packages" to use the QB in the run game; 4th down and /or goal line because the threat of their mobility: run/pass option was too important a weapon NOT to use especially againts near peer opponents.

GBR

Last edited:
Several things here:
-Stats alone are misleadings for "rushing" as they include yards lost to sacks.
-Most of the QB's on that list are quite athletic and could and did produce big, important rushing plays when required.
-The known mobility of these QB's definitely affected how they were rushed. Blitz them and they could or would hurt you either with the passing game, but the DC knew the QB could also hurt you with their legs: defense had to account for this!
-Most had "packages" to use the QB in the run game; 4th down and /or goal line because the threat of their mobility: run/pass option was too important a weapon NOT to use especially againts near peer opponents.

GBR
I get what you're saying, but Raiola is athletic and has escapability. As does DK. I'll take dropping dimes vs dropping the ball on the ground for no reason.

I get what you're saying, but Raiola is athletic and has escapability. As does DK. I'll take dropping dimes vs dropping the ball on the ground for no reason.
Where did I say anything about our QB's?

I merely tried to correct what I saw as a misrepresentation of other teams QB's and the importance of their running skills to their offensive success.

All the best.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back