• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ribeye on the Grill

It's a nice juicy flavorful crust much like you would get at steakhouse. If you are talking about a dry crispy crust then no, it doesn't come out like that.

The high heat usually causes flaming as the juices drip on the burners which adds to the crust. I usually let mine burn for at least a little while for more char. My wife doesn't like that so I don't let hers sit in the flames. I take mine off before hers because the flames cook it a little faster. It's personal choice.

Mine would turn out more like this.
perfect-sear-1024x637.jpg

While hers would look more like this.
diamond-grill-marks.png
Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

Keep in mind your grill may cook differently than mine. Also, I use 1.5 inch to 2 inch cuts so adjust your time accordingly. I didn't get it perfect the first time so there's some trial and error involved.

Keep in mind your grill may cook differently than mine. Also, I use 1.5 inch to 2 inch cuts so adjust your time accordingly. I didn't get it perfect the first time so there's some trial and error involved.
Thickness matters more than anything. I typically go 1.5 inches for my steaks. But smaller and you'll want to pull earlier regardless of how you're cooking. Skinny cooks lightning quick.

I put EVOO on my steaks then my favorite seasoning. The EVOO keeps the stks from drying out and lets the seasoning stay on the meat. I let it set for 3-4 hours before putting it on my grill. I use Kingsford coals. I also take mesquite or hickory pellets and put them on a Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh and set that on my coals before putting the steaks on my grill. That ensures a good smoky flavor. I use alder wood for a milder smoke. A Ribeye with good marbleing is my favorite. I like my steaks thick and rare, so it doesn't take long. This is what they look like when I'm done:
20200627_184707_1593298059366.jpg

Last edited:

Not too long ago, my wife and I went to a well known steak house in Omaha. She ordered her steak medium and I said "medium as well." Guess what--I got a medium-well steak. I noticed it was quit a bit thinner and I thought there's a chef who knows not to waste a good steak cooked medium-well. I was a bit miffed but lesson learned.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back