• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are redshirts relevant anymore?

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Maybe I'm too influenced by the big name underclassmen who opt to go pro, usually the best players, but it makes me wonder if redshirting the better players makes any sense anymore. Particularly with the new Spring football league (this one probably has legs) will the better players hang around to use that extra year? Maybe NIL will keep them here, but I fear that four years of playing and developing will become the standard for the better players, red shirt or not. I would like to think I'm wrong.

I believe they have become irrelevant for the most part. Unless a player wants to redshirt, or takes one due to injury, a coach can't plan on players staying. Either due to the portal or leaving early. They should play their best players available even if they are true Freshmen because the days of developing them for the teams future are over.

Last edited:

They are for a few kids but with the 4 game rule and the NCAA granting more and more exceptions for a 6th year, a RS really only helps the kids that take longer to develop.
As an underweight player comes in, he will gain weight, and at a pace where as MR says, we don't work the athleticism out of our players.

Under such scenarios players aren't quite ready at an older age growth spurt and needs to acclimate some.

I wonder how the players view redshirting now compared to just 10 years ago. Seems like redshirting for an entire year may cause someone to get passed over quickly with the roster competition we have today. It's definitely a case-by-case basis, but I could see kids not wanting to redshirt out of fear they will be buried on the depth chart.

I wonder how the players view redshirting now compared to just 10 years ago. Seems like redshirting for an entire year may cause someone to get passed over quickly with the roster competition we have today. It's definitely a case-by-case basis, but I could see kids not wanting to redshirt out of fear they will be buried on the depth chart.
I think its somewhat constraining as more and more high schools offer better development in HS.
But not every HS does, and then there's still those tweeners. Not a sure thing but worth a small gamble.
Costs are low, most valuable is coaching time both from coaches and to players, and they have much ground to cover.
You can always drop down as always as well.

IMO part of the RS decision is influenced by what position they will be playing. Plenty of RB’s are ready to play very well as true freshmen while most offensive linemen aren’t. Many need to physically mature, get stronger and learn proper techniques and needed playing time to make an impact. Granted that’s been changing with more kids now ready to play well at the college level.

Redshirts are about as relevant as the 85 scholarship limit now ... NIL has pushed college football back to the days before 1973 when Bear Bryant et al are noted to have put players on scholarship just to keep them off of other teams' rosters.

Redshirts are most relevant for those players that need the physical development such as those in the trenches coming in at 240 - 260 and leaving at 290 - 300 +

Redshirts are about as relevant as the 85 scholarship limit now ... NIL has pushed college football back to the days before 1973 when Bear Bryant et al are noted to have put players on scholarship just to keep them off of other teams' rosters.

Redshirts are most relevant for those players that need the physical development such as those in the trenches coming in at 240 - 260 and leaving at 290 - 300 +
Or LBs coming in at 195, TEs too

Last edited:
I believe they have become irrelevant for the most part. Unless a player wants to redshirt, or takes one due to injury, a coach can't plan on players staying. Either due to the portal or leaving early. They should play their best players available even if they are true Freshmen because the days of developing them for the teams future are over.
I think it’s vital for development long term. Even those freshmen who come in and are ready size wise still need strength development. You say they should play their best players ….. well they are playing their best players. Who wouldn’t (not to bring up past coaches or anything) As you saw, many freshmen played because they were that good and they beat out other players just on talent. Imagine if they had had a year and an half of strength development. Other freshmen or transfers played the four games and REDSHIRTED to preserve a year. Listen, if players leave because they didn’t get playing time or any other reason, then see ya, don’t let the door hit ya in the ass. Good luck to them in the future. Ruhle will replace you in a heartbeat. Ruhle is building a culture of development which means waiting your turn. And as we saw last year (at least on defense) Tony played a LOT of guys. I assume all these players want is a chance to compete, a chance to play, a chance to play big games. This is year two. Once these players find success on the field….. this place will explode and the process for success will be codified.
Do you WANT to play for nebraska ……. Do the process. Do you WANT to be developed for the NFL ….. go through the process.
GBR and keep the faith

I think it’s vital for development long term. Even those freshmen who come in and are ready size wise still need strength development. You say they should play their best players ….. well they are playing their best players. Who wouldn’t (not to bring up past coaches or anything) As you saw, many freshmen played because they were that good and they beat out other players just on talent. Imagine if they had had a year and an half of strength development. Other freshmen or transfers played the four games and REDSHIRTED to preserve a year. Listen, if players leave because they didn’t get playing time or any other reason, then see ya, don’t let the door hit ya in the ass. Good luck to them in the future. Ruhle will replace you in a heartbeat. Ruhle is building a culture of development which means waiting your turn. And as we saw last year (at least on defense) Tony played a LOT of guys. I assume all these players want is a chance to compete, a chance to play, a chance to play big games. This is year two. Once these players find success on the field….. this place will explode and the process for success will be codified.
Do you WANT to play for nebraska ……. Do the process. Do you WANT to be developed for the NFL ….. go through the process.
GBR and keep the faith

I don't disagree. College football was better when players got a redshirt year and used it to grow, learn, and develop. It's was better for both the player and the team. I just think the portal has changed that dynamic. My pessimism is about redshirting in general and how the rules have made it less relevant IMO. I'm not commenting about what Rhule is doing or should be doing. I liked the old way.

IMO part of the RS decision is influenced by what position they will be playing. Plenty of RB’s are ready to play very well as true freshmen while most offensive linemen aren’t. Many need to physically mature, get stronger and learn proper techniques and needed playing time to make an impact. Granted that’s been changing with more kids now ready to play well at the college level.
Also, much to do with where the came from. 8 man football or big program from texas thst could beat some college teams (IE, Nebraska the past 15 years) are a much different jumping of platform.

I don't disagree. College football was better when players got a redshirt year and used it to grow, learn, and develop. It's was better for both the player and the team. I just think the portal has changed that dynamic. My pessimism is about redshirting in general and how the rules have made it less relevant IMO. I'm not commenting about what Rhule is doing or should be doing. I liked the old way.
I apologize sir for misunderstanding. My fault totally. When I talk cfb my blinders are on. I think only about Nebraska football.

I think there is still a place for the redshirt, but its use has certainly changed, other than for injury.

The days of most Freshman coming in and redshirting are over. Do that and you'll lose half your class to the portal. That said, I do think this staff has the chops and is developing the respect of the kids to the point that they'll be able to paint a picture to those it would benefit and make use of redshirts. True freshman that can actually play at a high level are few and far between.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back