• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Myerberg on Rhule

Costa Rica Red

Scout Team
5 Year Member

This will be a steep challenge, even for a coach with a recent history of turnarounds. But the payoff for bringing the fallen powerhouse back to prominence would be even more extreme.

"It’s one thing to get a place somewhere it’s never been," Rhule said. "It’s another to go somewhere that’s been there and know it has the potential to get back."

Last edited:

From the article, talking about Texas HS recruiting:

While not greeted warmly upon his arrival at Baylor − he was essentially seen as a carpetbagger from the Northeast with no local connections − Rhule quickly became one of the most trusted coaches in the state.

In a poll conducted by Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine in the summer of 2019 asking over 250 participants which of the 12 FBS head coaches in the state they trusted the most, Rhule drew 21.5% of the vote, exceeding the combined total of the head coaches at Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

After years of recruiting swings and misses in the state, Nebraska has made a deep recommitment to making Texas one of the program's key hubs for unearthing the quick-twitch, often-overlooked athletes that sparked Baylor's rapid transformation.

"We went right back to the well," Rhule said. "I think if we can be great in Nebraska and great in Texas, we’ll find a lot of other players in a lot of other places."

Last edited:
As I've said before, he's a really likable coach who seems to be saying and doing the right things. And I love the fact that he wants to bring back disciplined, physical football. But we win the offseason every year. We need to win when it counts, and we won't know for some time yet whether Rhule is going to be able to do that.

I can tell you this. If Rhule starts the season with wins over the Gophers and Coach Prime, I'll be breaking out the Kool-Aid!

As I've said before, he's a really likable coach who seems to be saying and doing the right things. And I love the fact that he wants to bring back disciplined, physical football. But we win the offseason every year. We need to win when it counts, and we won't know for some time yet whether Rhule is going to be able to do that.

I can tell you this. If Rhule starts the season with wins over the Gophers and Coach Prime, I'll be breaking out the Kool-Aid!
Respectfully disagree. We haven't won an offseason since spring of 2019. The gig was up after SF 2nd losing season where we looked as bad as our record

If he doesn't start the season with wins over the Gophers and Coach Prime, we probably shouldn't lock the koolaid away either. He has a big task ahead of him. It may take some time and his time didn't start 20 years ago or 5 years ago, the time period that frustrated Husker fans measure from.

If he doesn't start the season with wins over the Gophers and Coach Prime, we probably shouldn't lock the koolaid away either. He has a big task ahead of him. It may take some time and his time didn't start 20 years ago or 5 years ago, the time period that frustrated Husker fans measure from.
Agreed. It won't be the end of the world if we don't look like world beaters right out of the gate. We'll have to see how the season progresses. But it would be great to start strong. For once, I'd like the team's performance to be a positive surprise!

Agreed. It won't be the end of the world if we don't look like world beaters right out of the gate. We'll have to see how the season progresses. But it would be great to start strong. For once, I'd like the team's performance to be a positive surprise!
I feel better about Rhule than anyone over the past three hires.

Bo had no experience as a head coach and obviously had a fiery personality. Riley seemed like a nice guy but had a history of average to mediocre results; and getting more resources and a school with a stronger history didn't change things. Frost's tenure was flat out weird from the start, and got worse as time progressed.

Interesting, it almost, just almost make one pine for... Callahan, NOT! Callahan was even weird in that he seemed to have forgotten everything he ever learned and knew about College ball. And no, it didn't change that much in his ten years in the pro's. Cally just got too used to and comfortable with the NFL to be effective in College, and also, he wasn't Head Coach material. So I have to rank Rhule as higher than Cally (there were inklings of Cally issues before the first game and season).

So I remain very optimistic we'll see improvement in the on-field product. I don't know that we can improve our win total, but I will be very happy just being bowl eligible. If we do worse record wise; I will base my judgement on the on-field product.

I don’t think anyone is looking for them to be world beaters right out of the gate. However, you have to factor in who NU is playing IMO. A team in Minnesota, who will never WOW you with athleticism, has many changes as well. Colorado has all kinds of issues. Both of these are winnable games IMO. Have to beat CU. Can’t lose that game.

I don’t think anyone is looking for them to be world beaters right out of the gate. However, you have to factor in who NU is playing IMO. A team in Minnesota, who will never WOW you with athleticism, has many changes as well. Colorado has all kinds of issues. Both of these are winnable games IMO. Have to beat CU. Can’t lose that game.

Yes. Minnesota is a proven team with a pretty fair returning starter at QB. Colorado on the other hand..

As much as I hate CU... Minnesota is the more important game.

Last edited:

Only because it’s a conference game, yes, of course. I was simply pointing out that CU is in worse shape than NU is. Colorado, should be the more winnable game. Something tells me the Buffs will man up for that game.
I wonder if Dan Alexander or Bobby Newcombe is available for a little history lecture during fall camp...

Don't get me wrong, if NU has to lose 11 games next year and God gives me the power to pick the one win, it's the frickin vermin.

Only because it’s a conference game, yes, of course. I was simply pointing out that CU is in worse shape than NU is. Colorado, should be the more winnable game. Something tells me the Buffs will man up for that game.
They might man up for that game, but they will have a team mostly comprised of kids who have not been there long enough to know they should hate Nebraska, let alone actually hate them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back