• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Worst G5 losses in CFP era

I could not care less about the ugly losses of those other teams. Our loss however to Georgia Southern was a real low point for Frost and the Huskers. I was stunned not that we lost to them but in the way we lost to them at home. It was an outrageous display of disgraceful ineptitude imo. I still get cranked up just thinking about that game.

I could not care less about the ugly losses of those other teams. Our loss however to Georgia Southern was a real low point for Frost and the Huskers. I was stunned not that we lost to them but in the way we lost to them at home. It was an outrageous display of disgraceful ineptitude imo. I still get cranked up just thinking about that game.
Without that loss Frost probably survives the season and doesn't get fired until after the Iowa game. We might miss out on Rhule as well.

I would have thought Mechicken-Appalachian State would have made the list?
And really they should be number 1. Not because App State was not a good team that year but because this was the first major blow to the power 5 conferences.

I have no idea how there are not six entries from CU on there. They lose to potatoes all the time.

Without that loss Frost probably survives the season and doesn't get fired until after the Iowa game. We might miss out on Rhule as well.
It was certainly the breaking point. The Northwestern loss you could try and justify because it was a conference game, and you hoped Northwestern had just improved from last season. The North Dakota game was way too close for the first three quarters, but we managed to put it together in the fourth to make it seem better than it was. I was honestly nervous going into the Georgia Southern game because of how poorly we looked against ND. The Georgia Southern game was the final straw. I was in the camp of keeping Frost until the Indiana game because of the buyout, but after that loss was onboard with him being gone ASAP.

Whew, barely won against McNeese Cowboys

At the time, NU #19

This was certainly the low of the Pelini era (IMO). I don't remember what I had going on that day, but I wasn't able to watch the game. I pulled out my phone and saw we were tied with half a minute to go and nearly fell out. The Abdullah run is one of the greatest single efforts in Nebraska history, but always makes me cringe because we needed that Herculean effort to beat an FCS team.

And really they should be number 1. Not because App State was not a good team that year but because this was the first major blow to the power 5 conferences.

I have no idea how there are not six entries from CU on there. They lose to potatoes all the time.
I would agree that it is the #1 upset in college football history (again, not what this list was supposed to determine). The biggest reason was that Michigan was ranked #5 at the time. App State was the best of the best in the FCS at the time, but Michigan was being talked about as a possible BCS champion. For them to lose at home, with that hype, against a FCS team, will be something we may never see again. It'd be fun if we did (as long as it isn't Nebraska), but college football isn't set up for that caliber of upset.

It was certainly the breaking point. The Northwestern loss you could try and justify because it was a conference game, and you hoped Northwestern had just improved from last season. The North Dakota game was way too close for the first three quarters, but we managed to put it together in the fourth to make it seem better than it was. I was honestly nervous going into the Georgia Southern game because of how poorly we looked against ND. The Georgia Southern game was the final straw. I was in the camp of keeping Frost until the Indiana game because of the buyout, but after that loss was onboard with him being gone ASAP.
We can speculate all we want but if SF and NU would have gotten TO the Indiana game 2-2 ... with Rutgers and Purdue lined up after Indiana, I think ADTA would have ridden the Frost train out till the end of the year.

Whew, barely won against McNeese Cowboys

At the time, NU #19

Well, we were tied going into the 3rd & 6 with 36 seconds left in regulation... So we likely would have gone to overtime if AA hadn't made the play or the first down.

How did Pelini's D let McNeese go on two long scoring drives when we were up by ten. We were lucky that McNeese had to settle for a field goal on the second drive after being penalized on a TD run for an illegal formation.

And I cannot recall the particulars of the 98 yard pick-6 in the second. I guess the pass was intended for Westerkamp.

Last edited:

1000_F_189401847_JupmU3SFr8kixffZUC3iX1nd06Cr9nII.jpg
Did you say suppository? ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back