• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So....is Raiola Gone after this year since he couldn't pull in his nephew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

You think Rhule would keep a coach for arguably the most important position on the field mostly to potentially land one recruit? Seems like a really bad idea.
Weren't you the one that always argued how bad he was? Rhule disagreed. We shall see.

I don't think he was kept to get Dylan. Maybe it was some small factor but I highly doubt given how far behind we already were on getting Dylan by the time Rhule took the job. I'm still baffled overall how of all the coaches to be retained, Raiola was given just how horrible our OL has been. I suspect he was 2 years to show what he can do before Rhule lets him go.
I'm not baffled, but overall agree with this post.

I take Rhule at his word until proven otherwise. He seems like an honest straight forth individual. He said he liked Donavan and likes how he coaches. That's good enough for me. With the absolute crap show of dysfunction last year, I frankly don't know how anyone on here can truly know just how good or how bad Donovan really is. Rhule is an oline guy, he's NOT going to sacrifice a year or two of rebuild to reach for A recruit.

Rhule strikes me as less likely to screw up decisions about assistants than any coach we've had in 26 years.

He may have made some bets on young coaches but I don't believe he will stay with them forever if they aren't getting better fast enough for the team to get better.

Last edited:
Shallow dig but a dig is a dig... do we wait the year or 2 to prove it on the field and hope for the transfer................

Matt Rhule is not going to have someone on his staff to potentially land 1 player. He's on the staff because Rhule thinks he's a good O line coach.
1684384400157.gif

I'm not baffled, but overall agree with this post.

I take Rhule at his word until proven otherwise. He seems like an honest straight forth individual. He said he liked Donavan and likes how he coaches. That's good enough for me. With the absolute crap show of dysfunction last year, I frankly don't know how anyone on here can truly know just how good or how bad Donovan really is. Rhule is an oline guy, he's NOT going to sacrifice a year or two of rebuild to reach for A recruit.
I agree. The problems NU has had go way beyond one OL coach. Almost everything was a total SS.

The title and thought process behind this thread baffles me. Did people really believe that Don Raiola was retained primarily to get his nephew to commit? If that was even one of the major factors, that’s a very short-sighted strategy and a significant cause for concern.

However, I am with the group that thinks Rhule retained Raiola because he thinks Don Raiola is a good OL coach, and his connection to Dylan a bonus. A nice bonus, but still a tangential factor.

The title and thought process behind this thread baffles me. Did people really believe that Don Raiola was retained primarily to get his nephew to commit? If that was even one of the major factors, that’s a very short-sighted strategy and a significant cause for concern.

However, I am with the group that thinks Rhule retained Raiola because he thinks Don Raiola is a good OL coach, and his connection to Dylan a bonus. A nice bonus, but still a tangential factor.
It’s hard not to make the connection given DRs experience and background for this position. The fact is he doesn’t have the qualifications to be a head line coach at a P5 program. Now if Rhule believes he has enough inherent qualities that allow Rhule to help him grow into it then fine. But it’s a week argument to believe his initial hire and retention didn’t have some flavor of Dylan recruitment involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back