• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Practice Football Fields - Replacing FT with Grass

To my knowledge, Memorial Stadium hasn't been used for much else, until recently. A lot of professional stadiums get used for concerts and other major events, but it seems like a lot of college stadiums aren't used for the same.

Memorial Stadium had the Garth Brooks concert in 2021, before that you had Larry the Cable Guy in 2009. Last musical performance before Brooks was Farm Aid III in 1987. (https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/garth-brooks-performing-at-memorial-stadium-aug-14/)

Memorial Stadium hosts the high school football championships, but it really isn't used for much else. Would be smart to try and utilize it for more, if you have the turf.

I'm assuming not being allowed to sell alcohol (until recently) was the big factor for not getting concerts.

Does better drainage avert the mud fields we used to experience when having grass fields?

Grass playing surfaces have come a long way in the forty years since I was in high school.

Like I'd mentioned earlier in this thread, in colder areas the'll frequently have geothermal heating loops below the surface to keep it from freezing and have a longer growing season. In areas with heavy rains, they'll typically have sub grade drainage. The base itself is engineered to promote drainage and what they've done with grass strains is pretty amazing. It still requires maintenance and can't withstand unlimited, continuous use, but it's not like the old days.

I just miss the Old Orange Bowl and the Sand that they painted green after all the grass had died by January . Great memories of Our Huskers playing in that stadium but damm it was a dump by the time it went away

I saw Nebraska play Florida State in 1993…1992 season. We were in the last row of the lower level up against a metal lattice. Of course it rained and we got wet even though were were under the upper deck.

The stadium was not in a great place and everyone scattered when the game ended. :thumbsup:

Interesting article. I did't play the game, but I'll listen to the players and guys like Matt Rhule who prefer the natural. I like it better as a fan, but it appears most players prefer it as well. Let's face it, in todays day and age, and with what the U is bringing in monetarily, grass isn't too expensive. And plenty of places have done it right in cold climates.

Last edited:
Interesting article. I did't play the game, but I'll listen to the players and guys like Matt Rhule who prefer the natural. I like it better as a fan, but it appears most players prefer it as well. Let's face it, in todays day and age, and with what the U is bringing in monetarily, grass isn't too expensive. And plenty of places have done it right in cold climates.
I believe in long term, natural grass will be cheaper than fake surface. Why? Every 8 years or so, replace FieldTurf .... special and expensive disposal. Just like your worn out car tires, typical fee is between $3 and $10 per tire.

Groundskeeper natural grass crew ..... I will gladly volunteer free of charge like mowing duties ;)....

vlcsnap00523.623.jpg
;););)

maxresdefault.jpg

kothc8-gif.90884

Last edited:

Only downside to Memorial Stadium switching to a new modern grass field is the loss of it as a practice field during the season, it would be limited to walk throughs and pre-game. Do the HS Championships have to be played there after all?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back