• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A Good Article: Did Huskers Miss Out on NE Talent?

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
A Good Read by Jacob Padilla in Hail Varsity: :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

Included on the list were Omaha Central’s John Tonje and Latrell Wrightsell Jr., Lincoln North Star’s Josiah Allick, Lincoln East’s Sam Griesel and Aurora’s Baylor Scheierman. All five of those players went to mid-major schools out of high school before hitting the transfer portal to end their careers at a high-major school.

The main question behind the poster’s prompt was about evaluation: did Nebraska just flat out misevaluate all of these players? Were they high-major difference-makers the whole time whom the Nebraska staff should have offered scholarships and recruited hard?

I can guarantee you the current staff is doing its due diligence with in-state players — as evidenced by early offers to two 2025 prospects in Omaha Bryan forward A’mare Bynum and Lincoln Southwest wing Braden Frager. Based on conversations I’ve had, there are a number of players in the 2023, 2024 and 2025 classes in Nebraska that have caught the coaches’ eyes, but players have to clear a high threshold physically and from a skill standpoint to project to the Big Ten.

A Good Read by Jacob Padilla in Hail Varsity: :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

Griesel and Scheierman maybe. None of those guys had P6 offers. Heck, I don't think all of those guys even had UNO offers coming out of high school. Tonje and Wrightsell came from a very talented Central squad that had at least 4 guys play at the D1 level. In hindsight they were all missed, but at the time I think they all made the right decision and developed.

Griesel and Scheierman maybe. None of those guys had P6 offers. Heck, I don't think all of those guys even had UNO offers coming out of high school. Tonje and Wrightsell came from a very talented Central squad that had at least 4 guys play at the D1 level. In hindsight they were all missed, but at the time I think they all made the right decision and developed.
Exactly some guys need to be on the court and playing to fully develop, sitting on the bench and practicing can really help some but most need to get on the court and playing and doing that at a lower level can help them reach their potential

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back